Rouvy - everything you want to know

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    sherer said:

justr had my first ride on my Kickr Core with rouvy. overall I enjoyed it, but the issue I have is that my Elemnt Bolt said I was doing 8 mpg and Rouvy had my speed last at 4 mph or lower.

Do I just need to calibrate again ? Wondeing if ive missed a wheel circumference setting off somewhere

just in case anyone else gets this, this is by design. The virtual world in rouvy has wind etc and so you will see different stats in the virtual world to the ones coming off the turbo.

Im enjoying the AR routes though, chasing someone down does as a little bit to the training and pushes you that little but further
  • If using Rouvy with Apple TV, how do you get workouts up. be it from the list or created workouts?

Hey StillGoing, currently we do not have the workouts available for access on the beta app. However, you are allowed to use the app for free during the beta period! Use any other device for workouts.
    itboffin said:

jerryk said:

itboffin said:

Uploaded routes are great but the gradients are out by 25-50% IMO in the beta mac app you can adjust the feel, i've not found the equivalent in the windows or mobile apps.

Can you explain where in the beta mac app you can adjust the feel? I can't find this anywhere...

When you select a route, choose 'Start training' rather than 'Start race' then in the settings you can modify the resistant down from the 100% default, try the minimum 20% and work up from there, it helps that i've uploaded two routes that I regularly ride outside so know what it should feel like.

https://support.rouvy.com/s/article/Race-and-Training-mode-see-the-differences?language=en_US
    Hey Jerry, you will need to select ‘training mode’ at the beginning of the ride to see the setting that will allow you to adjust the reality level.
    svetty said:

I am thinking of trying Rouvy basic as I have a number of Tacx RLVs. Am I right in thinking that these can be ridden using Rouvy?

Svetty, there could possibly be some overlap! They might work, so go ahead and try. But even with a basic subscription you’ll still have access to thousands of kilometers of virtual and augmented routes
    sherer said:

sherer said:

justr had my first ride on my Kickr Core with rouvy. overall I enjoyed it, but the issue I have is that my Elemnt Bolt said I was doing 8 mpg and Rouvy had my speed last at 4 mph or lower.

Do I just need to calibrate again ? Wondeing if ive missed a wheel circumference setting off somewhere

just in case anyone else gets this, this is by design. The virtual world in rouvy has wind etc and so you will see different stats in the virtual world to the ones coming off the turbo.

Im enjoying the AR routes though, chasing someone down does as a little bit to the training and pushes you that little but further
    Hey Sherer, check in with our Rouvy support about the lower speeds, or try the software in 'training mode' so that you can adjust the realism level.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Hey Casey if you’re still monitoring this thread I’d say given the current global lockdown now if the perfect time to help the world stay fit & healthy by exercising inside, it’s not my business but I’d be offering a stay safe & well trial offer of your service.

I’m using the free ride 1 hr pretty much everyday, but that’s because I’m time limited by work, after six months of trying all the offerings on the market Rouvy is the one I’ve stayed with, I think your platform has a lot to offer and I recommend it too my club mates and friends on Bikeradar, it’s easy to setup and so far has been the most compatible with my mid range Tacx Vortex trainer, I’ve even uploaded a couple of my clubs regular rides with videos from me, amateur of course.

As I’ve said in my previous posts in this thread realism is about 75% in my experience compared to actual but when you think Zwift automatically sets gradient to 50% I’d say that’s very good.

Fellow BR members embrace the situation we’re in and try the plethora of online virtually offerings even if like me you’re not into gaming riding like Zwift.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2020
    Posted this as separate message then realized it probably should be here. New to this forum and don't know how to delete other location so sorry for double post.

I recently bought a Saris / Cycle Opps M2 trainer and got a 30 day trial of Rouvy to use. I really want to like the app, but I am finding it impossible to save my rides to view info on them. I've reached out to their help department and all I get is short answers that pretty much restate my questions as a statement. It is clear to me the support is going nowhere so I am wondering if someone here could offer insight? I have tried running from a Tab A, and from a galaxy S10+. I've tried removing the app from all but one device. I've tried connecting through each of the individual sensors that appear when I add the trainer to the app. All options successfully control the trainer but none record the ride. I've tried both training and race and I have tried AR routes and non AR routes. At some point a .2 mile ride was captured while experimenting. It was rather surprising and I do not remember what specific combination of settings I was using. It was however, the only ride I have tried where I have not ridden all of the way to the finish line. Today I will try a normal full ride and end it just short of the finish line...maybe that is the issue.

So my general question is, has anyone else had this kind of trouble getting their Rouvy rides to save to their training diaries and what you have done to fix that?

Also is anyone getting quality support from Rouvy? I am trying to give them every chance and benefit of the doubt especially with coronavirus going. Thanks

Followup from yesterday: I had some short test rides record several yesterday. Less than 1/4 mile each though. Rode a normal ride but did not cross finish line to see if it was just uncompleted routes recording and nope. Seems to be maybe only non AR routes are recording to my training diary. All of the short ones from yesterday were non AR with the grey interface. Not really impressed that I have to go through what is basically beta testing experimentation and no real instructions so that I can avoid beta testing their software. Support has been very unsatisfactory.
  • itboffin
    Without knowing what you're actually doing in the app I'm going to guess its you not the software that's at fault.

Select the free ride option, ride your bike for a few mins then press the space bar or stop peddling and it'll ask you if you want to end training, select that and it'll save that session.

Does that happen for you?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin, I did follow exact steps you mention, just as described in detail in my post. There are issues/bugs in the software, and I have shared those with the support email address. Basically going to work around their bugs and decide at the end of my trial period if I want to continue. I was trying to find if anyone on here had similar issues and could offer insight on that and what their workarounds were. I assure you that I am operating the app correctly.
  • itboffin
    If you have a fairly good spec laptop or tablet download the beta AR version of the app and cancel your subscription, in the AR app routes are free to ride, so far I’ve found every now and then my tickr HRM doesn’t always connect immediately but once connected works perfectly.

I use the main app free ride option for 30-40 min ramp sessions then the AR for virtual routes.
  • Thanks itboffin. That is the same bug / workaround that I discovered and reported to their support. In normal Rouvy app, ar routes are listed and can be ridden, but are not saved. To get an ar ride to save you MUST ride it in rouvy AR app. (that should be noted somewhere on their apps and should have been conveyed in one of their support help replies.) I am not going to cancel subscription as you advised or I will lose the free 30 day trial that I got with my trainer purchase. Just going to work around this bug/limitation until my free period expires and decide then. Will likely try other apps at the end of this period and compare features, performance, available instructions and quality of support that I get from them too.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116

Thanks itboffin. That is the same bug / workaround that I discovered and reported to their support. In normal Rouvy app, ar routes are listed and can be ridden, but are not saved. To get an ar ride to save you MUST ride it in rouvy AR app. (that should be noted somewhere on their apps and should have been conveyed in one of their support help replies.) I am not going to cancel subscription as you advised or I will lose the free 30 day trial that I got with my trainer purchase. Just going to work around this bug/limitation until my free period expires and decide then. Will likely try other apps at the end of this period and compare features, performance, available instructions and quality of support that I get from them too.

Sorry but I've been using the Rouvy android app for ages and that is nonsense... I have saved many many AR route rides using it.

What is definitely happening is that the servers are overloaded at the moment with the massive surge in demand. So it takes a while to upload anything (particularly popular routes like AR). But I've not had a single ride not save. If it doesn't upload first time and you switch off the device thats fine, it stays on the local storage until it syncs to the server.
  • Thanks itboffin. That is the same bug / workaround that I discovered and reported to their support. In normal Rouvy app, ar routes are listed and can be ridden, but are not saved. To get an ar ride to save you MUST ride it in rouvy AR app. (that should be noted somewhere on their apps and should have been conveyed in one of their support help replies.) I am not going to cancel subscription as you advised or I will lose the free 30 day trial that I got with my trainer purchase. Just going to work around this bug/limitation until my free period expires and decide then. Will likely try other apps at the end of this period and compare features, performance, available instructions and quality of support that I get from them too.

Sorry but I've been using the Rouvy android app for ages and that is nonsense... I have saved many many AR route rides using it.

What is definitely happening is that the servers are overloaded at the moment with the massive surge in demand. So it takes a while to upload anything (particularly popular routes like AR). But I've not had a single ride not save. If it doesn't upload first time and you switch off the device thats fine, it stays on the local storage until it syncs to the server.
    I support and test software for a living. It is NOT nonsense. It is very repeatable on my end. Maybe you have different version of software or are not running off android OS. It absolutely is happening with me and I have heard the server sync tagline from helpdesk too. Many days later none of those rides upload nor are they visible on my app even immediately after ride. But any AR ride on AR app or non ar ride on non ar app that I do uploads right away. I am new to this forum trying to get some information, but so far all I have gotten is defense of app and claims of user error or that I am lying with nonsense. I hope this is not indicative of the typical interaction on this website.
  • super_davo
    Siince lockdown there is defiitely a problem with communicating with servers, it even says so on the home screen when you boot up the app. What should happen when you finish a ride is that it shows up the screen summarising the activity whilst it uploads to the server. Do you get that screen?

Do you have the "Upload data only when connected to WiFi" enabled in Settings / General Settings? That should ensure that always keeps a copy locally until upload is successful.
    You also need to ensure you give the app permissions to Storage on the device itself (go into Apps / Permissions).

Failing that - uninstall, reinstall, try a different device. Android is a great system but it is very diverse and not every app works with every device.

I'm not saying your response or issues are nonsense, merely this diagnosis: "In normal Rouvy app, ar routes are listed and can be ridden, but are not saved. To get an ar ride to save you MUST ride it in rouvy AR app. (that should be noted somewhere on their apps and should have been conveyed in one of their support help replies.)". This simply isn't true - I have hundreds of uploaded rides that prove you can!

• super_davo I have tried everything you suggested as mentioned in original posts. I consistently get the same results with my setup on either android device that I own. Those results clearly drive my conclusion and it is very repeatable. I know the workaround that works for me consistently and will just deal with it through my trial period. If anyone from Rouvy wants to email me for absolute specifics on my setup, hardware, versions of OS, flash versions etc, I would be glad to share with them so they can try to bugfix their software, but so far they have not been at all interested in collecting any data to help their developers. I have gone down all proper troubleshoot and settings paths and I am done commenting here about it. Be safe. I'm out.
  • davman
    davman Posts: 31
    Evening
    My first time back on this forum for quite a while, but hopefully someone can help me out with Rouvy.

Bought an Elite Direto sometime late last Summer, but only just got round to setting it up.

Liked the look of Rouvy (being able to follow a video someone has made), so installed the App on my Windows 10 desktop, then configured everything i thought i needed to do.
    Bought a Lifeline Ant+ USB stick from Wiggle (work recommendation) and that saw the trainer with no problems

For my first route in the Rouvy trial i chose a route in Southern Spain, Istan (from N340) if anyone is interested, as this seemed an ideal length and something i could ride okay whilst i 'find my feet' with this virtual training/indoor training

I actually killed the ride after 6km as Rouvy was all over the place. i would be going downhill or on the flat and the trainer would suddenly ramp up and i would be forced to change down to my lowest gear to be able to continue riding. Similarly, the trainer would suddenly revert back to too easy and, forcing me to change down and onto the large chainring to be able to make progress

I emailed Rouvy Support yesterday; they suggested i upgrade the firmware of the Direto and do a calibration test. The Direto didn't need a firmware update (using the Elite Uogrado app) Opening the Elite MyETraining app then running the calibration, after cycling for just over 12 minutes, gave a figure of 6298

Back in Rouvy, i don't know what or where i do with this calibration figure. I can't see any field i need to populate, or how this is going to make my rides more realistic.

I've emailed Rouvy Support back, but most likely won't hear back before Monday.

So, can anyone on here provide any advice on what i need to do please?

thanks

Simon Hume
  • itboffin said:

Evening
    Hey Casey if you’re still monitoring this thread I’d say given the current global lockdown now if the perfect time to help the world stay fit & healthy by exercising inside, it’s not my business but I’d be offering a stay safe & well trial offer of your service.

Hey itboffin, I do monitor this weekly and will do my best to get back to any inquires on the thread in a timely manner. As far as the April lockdown goes, we are offering a free trial in our Rouvy AR app throughout the month and as always we have the 14-day free trial of the Rouvy Workouts.

So my general question is, has anyone else had this kind of trouble getting their Rouvy rides to save to their training diaries and what you have done to fix that?

jeff, apologies for the issues. We are aware of some delays in the upload due to server overload but other issues you are having are not ones I'm aware of. Our support team should be able to answer some questions you have about the delays.
    davman said:

Evening
    My first time back on this forum for quite a while, but hopefully someone can help me out with Rouvy.

Liked the look of Rouvy (being able to follow a video someone has made), so installed the App on my Windows 10 desktop, then configured everything i thought i needed to do.
    Bought a Lifeline Ant+ USB stick from Wiggle (work recommendation) and that saw the trainer with no problems

For my first route in the Rouvy trial i chose a route in Southern Spain, Istan (from N340) if anyone is interested, as this seemed an ideal length and something i could ride okay whilst i 'find my feet' with this virtual training/indoor training

I actually killed the ride after 6km as Rouvy was all over the place. i would be going downhill or on the flat and the trainer would suddenly ramp up and i would be forced to change down to my lowest gear to be able to continue riding. Similarly, the trainer would suddenly revert back to too easy and, forcing me to change down and onto the large chainring to be able to make progress

Simon Hume

Simon,

Our support team should be back to you promptly but if your windows machine has built-in bluetooth try using that instead of the Ant+ dongle, though it's not a known issue it may be causing some interference or data relay issues when communicating with the software.

Have you tried it with both the Rouvy AR and Rouvy Workouts applications? Hope we can help get your Elite Direto working for you!

• df3er342
    df3er342 Posts: 5
    Just signed up for a Rouvy trial. I quite like it.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    my only issue with the new AR app is if I sign up to a challenge, I cant see what events I need to do for that challenge
  • thebigman
    thebigman Posts: 57
    has anyone tried to import a route into the virtual route editor? i tried importing a gpx file today and there was no elevation, it was flat (which the route isn't). anyone help me out?
  • Casey@Rouvy
    Casey@Rouvy Posts: 14
    thebigman said:

has anyone tried to import a route into the virtual route editor? i tried importing a gpx file today and there was no elevation, it was flat (which the route isn't). anyone help me out?

Hi thebigman, I recommend watching this video as route creation can be a difficult project to undertake! Good luck! If the problem keeps repeating itself please contact our help desk 'support@rouvy.com'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeOjrnba_VU and/or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUdECBzJmUo
    sherer said:

my only issue with the new AR app is if I sign up to a challenge, I cant see what events I need to do for that challenge

Hi Sherer, the easiest place to check the challenge guidelines is our website! I've linked the current challenge here for you -> https://rouvy.com/en/challenges/detail/148

• yachtieilk
    yachtieilk Posts: 1
    edited May 2020
    Hi All,
    A relatively new (a few months) user to Rouvy (looking for a change from the game style of Zwift), my general feedback is I really like it. Being in Australia I am probably logging on at low usage times and haven't had any of the server problems others have reported

Both my wife and I ride at the same time usually on AR Routes without an issue.

I ride solo during the week.

Both of us are on Windows 10 Laptops using BT connections. Haven't tried it on Android.

One minor annoyance is that the map function to search for new routes is pretty much useless (or at least I haven't found the magic formula to make it work).

If I search "Italy" It returns an error message of too many routes to show. No matter how I search it never provides a useful result, or even just take me to the country so I can visually search.

As such I generally resort to minimising the map screen over and over so I can literally drag it to the country I want to investigate where I zoom back to find some routes.

Once at this point I can hover over a route and it will show me a name but no other details such as distance gradient etc. If I click on the route to check it out (no right click options are available) I go to the details of the route. If for whatever reason I don't want to ride that one, there is no way back to the view I just left and, in fact it throws me make to Melbourne Australia to repeat the tedious process again.

Some tweaks to this to make it more useful would be greatly appeciated.

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Is there any news on when ANT+ support will come to the Rouvy AR app on Windows PC?
    My power meter is ANT+ only and so this is holding me back from using the app.
    I think it was due in May.
    Cheers
  • shazzz said:

Is there any news on when ANT+ support will come to the Rouvy AR app on Windows PC?
    My power meter is ANT+ only and so this is holding me back from using the app.
    I think it was due in May.
    Cheers

Hey Shazz, unfortunately at the moment we do not have a final update for you. We are hard at work trying to get the Ant+ compatibility completed, but with the drafting development being released recently we've been working on getting a lot of things out the door! Ant+ is coming soon!

In the meantime, you'd be able to use an Ant+ -> Bluetooth bridge device and use your Ant+ devices with Rouvy.
  • Hi All,

One minor annoyance is that the map function to search for new routes is pretty much useless (or at least I haven't found the magic formula to make it work).

If I search "Italy" It returns an error message of too many routes to show. No matter how I search it never provides a useful result, or even just take me to the country so I can visually search.

As such I generally resort to minimising the map screen over and over so I can literally drag it to the country I want to investigate where I zoom back to find some routes.

Once at this point I can hover over a route and it will show me a name but no other details such as distance gradient etc. If I click on the route to check it out (no right click options are available) I go to the details of the route. If for whatever reason I don't want to ride that one, there is no way back to the view I just left and, in fact it throws me make to Melbourne Australia to repeat the tedious process again.

Some tweaks to this to make it more useful would be greatly appeciated.

Hey Yachtielk,

Glad you're enjoying the app!!

As far as the map function goes, sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with it though we're always dedicated to making the UX better for everyone involved. Try using the built-in qualifiers and tabs on the top of the search bar instead of scrolling around the map.

If you're having unnecessary issues, please reach out to our support team 'support@rouvy.com' for any necessary technical assistance!
  • Hi All,

Can anyone offer up any advise for a total Rouvy newbie?

I'm trying to make a video route using the Rouvy Route editor, but I have one main problem:
    After concatenating all the "chapters" of a longish video using FFmpeg, when it gets imported into the Route Editor - it's upside down, (presumably because the GoPro was mounted inverted). However, any other video player, VLC, VideoPad, Adobe Premier and Windows10 Video Editor will play it ok, right side up.

I have rotated the video by 180 degrees using the Windows 10 video editor (it took hours!!) but it mysteriously still appears to be upside down when imported to Rouvy Route Editor. This happens with just one of the segments, or chapters, of video as well.

Can anyone offer any advice on this problem? Rouvy help desk simply say use another video editor, but....really??

Also, secondary question, how do I extract the GPS data from a GoPro Hero7 Black recording?

TIA
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Thinking of giving rouvy a try but before I do, can anyone tell me if the simulator shows other riders doing the same route as you, and if so, can you hide them?
    (So basically, can you ride the video routes without seeing anyone else on the course)

Thanks
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    redvision said:

Thinking of giving rouvy a try but before I do, can anyone tell me if the simulator shows other riders doing the same route as you, and if so, can you hide them?
    (So basically, can you ride the video routes without seeing anyone else on the course)

Thanks

Not been on for a little while, but from memory, you only see the avatars of other people on the newer AR routes.

On all the other ones, you can see symbols to denote other riders on the route on the distance bar at the bottom of the screen but there are no rider avatars.

I can’t remember if you can turn that off, but suspect you may well be able to.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Only reason I ask is because I tend to get distracted and tempted to race against others who join the course, rather than staying focused on my training target (power etc).

I currently use bkool simulator which I like but even though there is an option to select ride solo, when you tick this and then search for a course it resets the option. Such a simple thing and I have complained over and over but bkool support is pretty much non existent. So when my subscription expires at the end of the month I'm going to try rouvy and maybe some others.
  • For the new indoor season Rouvy have wiped the leaderboards, and although the original app supports your 'cycling career', unless you use the Rouvy AR app your rides will not appear on the new leaderboard, although you will be shown how your fastest ride on the original app compares. The original app gives you a little map and your average heart rate, climb to date and lots of other useful information that the Rouvy AR app completely lacks. I do not understand the reasoning behind these changes and am on the brink of cancelling my subscription. What do other Rouvy users think?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

For the new indoor season Rouvy have wiped the leaderboards, and although the original app supports your 'cycling career', unless you use the Rouvy AR app your rides will not appear on the new leaderboard, although you will be shown how your fastest ride on the original app compares. The original app gives you a little map and your average heart rate, climb to date and lots of other useful information that the Rouvy AR app completely lacks. I do not understand the reasoning behind these changes and am on the brink of cancelling my subscription. What do other Rouvy users think?

I'm still using the original app TBH as it seems to have a lot more features as you say. If they decide to bin off the original app at some point I will certainly consider cancelling.
  • super_davo
    mrb123 said:

For the new indoor season Rouvy have wiped the leaderboards, and although the original app supports your 'cycling career', unless you use the Rouvy AR app your rides will not appear on the new leaderboard, although you will be shown how your fastest ride on the original app compares. The original app gives you a little map and your average heart rate, climb to date and lots of other useful information that the Rouvy AR app completely lacks. I do not understand the reasoning behind these changes and am on the brink of cancelling my subscription. What do other Rouvy users think?

I'm still using the original app TBH as it seems to have a lot more features as you say. If they decide to bin off the original app at some point I will certainly consider cancelling.
    Rouvy are introducing new features on the AR app lke drafting, but I won't switch over from the Workouts app until they make it work with ANT+.

If you don't want to see other avatars, just toggle off AR routes on the pre-training screen.

Rouvy wiped the leaderboards last year as well; this year apparently it is because they have changed the algorythms. Though I did Stelvio yesterday and had a virtually identical time to before so not sure how much difference its made. Rouvy are rubbish at policing the leaderboards - there were some records at 10+ w/kg before the wiping - so its probably a good thing to clear it out from time to time anyway.
  • Hello,

I have a question about Rouvy, I use it now for a month and after the new update I have two times that the trainer disconnected to the Rouvy App, when I close the Rouvy app and start the app again it worked again. But I need to do the track again. I use Bluetooth from my MacBook. Also I use bluetooth from my iPhone for my AirPods. Is maybe that the problem?

So I decide to buy a ant+ dongle but this doesn't work right now with Rouvy ithink? It seems not working, I can use the same acceleration during a climb and with Bluetooth that's not the case.

Hopefully someone can help me.