Groin / Testicle Discomfort

Hello, would appreciate any suggestions please. I’m a regular road cyclist and have recently started to get discomfort around the area of my left nut only. A vague discomfort but I think in the soft tissue under the nut itself but it hard to be specific. At times it has radiated into left inside leg and up to left lower abdomen, top of groin area. Gets worse the longer in the saddle and generally not a bother off the bike apart from a little left-over discomfort.

I’ve not changed the bike set up. Biking / commuting more outside now we’re into the better weather and it seems to have gotten worse in relation to this. I’ve lost weight over the past two years since started biking again and I’m sure my shorts don’t fit as snugly as they used to. Wonder if a lack of ‘packaging’ could be an issue and the lads are getting bounced about a bit more?

Not overly worried from a general health point of view as it seems to be purely bike related but it’s becoming rather annoying.

Comments

• racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    You say it gets worse the longer in the saddle, does that mean there is some discomfort as soon as you put pressure on it? If so, I would think that indicates something that needs to be looked at by your doctor.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    It could be all sorts of things that are nothing to do with bike riding at all, best see your GP.
    For example, it could be a varicose vein in the scrotum, that is not uncommon and requires no treatment except rest for a while. Best not ignored though.

As for the loose shorts: After many years of riding I suddenly started with a saddle sore! It was in the gap between scrotum and leg and it looked a bit like a cross between a friction burn and a pressure sore, horrible! I bought some new padded liners for my shorts. I fitted a new saddle of my favourite design, instead of the one that came with the bike. Finally I started using Bepanthem cream. What's that? It is for nappy rash and it was recommended by a fellow biker. Just a small amount either side of the scrotum. The combination of all three did the trick, although I needed some Savlon and a week off the bike for the saddle sore to heal.

Bepanthem cream is designed to work in a warm and damp environment, so it is perfect for bikers. It also works in a hostile environment with urine and faeces present. I don't need that, well not yet! :D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Not saying it is, but go and get checked for a cyst. It's quite common for men (you didn't specify your sex) to have cysts in the scrotum, but because of the pressure from bike saddles, it can cause discomfort. If they are overly large or causing considerable discomfort, you can have them removed. Confession, I have about 4 tiny hard cysts there, but one causes a lot of discomfort. The Doc told me it isn't surgery he'd recommend, so I put up with it. Non cancerous.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    StillGoing makes a valid point. It’s worth feeling your scrotal sac for lumps if you are suffering discomfort when riding and getting yourself checked out if you find something. I have what is effectively a third testicle, commonly known as a cyclist’s nodule, probably due to years of long distance touring. It gradually built up in size over time and I feared it might be cancer. It’s the same size as my other balls but is harder and knobbly. My doctor referred me for a check at hospital and it was a benign cyst. It doesn’t cause me any issues other than occasionally having to “adjust” myself for comfort on my bike or sitting in a chair. Good supportive shorts and chamois cream help with my cycling comfort.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146

For example, it could be a varicose vein in the scrotum, that is not uncommon and requires no treatment except rest for a while. Best not ignored though.

^ This happened to me. It went away of its own accord after about 4 months but it was present most of the time and in my case not any worse while on my bike. It felt like something had got tied up in a knot in there.
    When I went for the ultrasound and found it, they said they had to check my kidneys too (which were fine) so 2 check ups for the price of 1.

StillGoing makes a valid point. It’s worth feeling your scrotal sac for lumps if you are suffering discomfort when riding and getting yourself checked out if you find something.

My GP did this when I first went about it too, just to check it was nothing nasty. Best to be on the safe side.

• No disrespect to anyone but the suggestion to go and see a GP is laughable. Does anyone really think that any GP is bothered about a cyclist who gets a sore dick after a couple of hours on the bike?

There are more important things for GPs to be doing at present and for several weeks to come.

Practical suggestions are needed. Check saddle height, angle and alignment. Try a saddle with a hole on top. Try short rides to break in saddle and groin, then go up in distance. Try double shorts.

Lots of things to do before acting like a snowflake.
  • mercia_man
    Not laughable, not snowflake stuff. Just good general health advice for all men whether cyclists or not. Self examine your scrotum regularly for any lumps. If you find anything untoward, get it checked out by a doctor. If it is cancer, you catch it early. If it isn’t cancer, you get peace of mind.
  • Defo a snowflake. You think you can get to see a GP at present? Dream on snowflake.

Think he can get you a slot for examination in a hospital? Do you really want to be going in any hospital for any reason at present? Even the staff are scared of going to work yet you willingly recomend a visit.

Snowflakes to the left,
    Snowflakes to the right,
    Into the valley of snowflakes rode the milennials.
  • mercia_man
    You’re quite right, Frank. Don’t get over excited. Little chance to go see GP at the moment. I’m just repeating (from personal experience) the standard advice for men to check their balls regularly!
  • flypast
    flypast Posts: 5
    Thank you for the replies and suggestions. Lots of good ideas.
    Not ruling anything out but coming to the conclusion it is likely due to cycling shorts that have become less snug and the balls are suffering from a lot of jiggling about. This would favour feeling ok at the start with increasing discomfort over time.
    Zwifted yesterday for an hour with no issue. No road buzz. Today outside wore an older pair of tighter shorts and it seemed to improve things. Have order a smaller pair of my current go-to shorts. Will see how that goes.
    Maybe a bike fitter might see something I’m missing and I wouldn’t rule out a check up with the GP to be safe. All these will have to wait though until normal life resumes.