What is the length of your daily cycle commute?

13»

Comments

• After not owning a bike for 20-odd years, I started riding in to work in September. It's 12m / 19km each way.
    I do it 3-4 times a week and I'm hoping that at some point I'll stop being so knackered on day 3!!
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,451
    It never gets any easier, you just get faster...
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I do 16 miles from Epsom to London each day. It takes an hour but I don't seem to be getting any fitter - quite the opposite
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    monkimark said:

It never gets any easier, you just get faster...

Once you get faster, you can choose to go slower and not arrive in a sweaty mess.
    The difference for me between sweaty mess and warm glow is only about 0.5mph.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,451
    In theory but I've never been great at pacing myself, i always seem to ride at sweaty mess pace - lucky I have showers at work.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    My current commute is around 5 miles bit up and down. AVG moving speed is 17mph moving time 15mins, total time 20 mins, elapsed time 25 mins.... Shower... Change... Door to desk approx 50 mins....
    Bike is currently my only option not cost effective or convenient...

I've turned down jobs previously due to commuting distance circa 12-20 miles each way.... I feel that I would be able to handle it physically 5 days a week (not accounting illnesses) ... However my question is how to fit it all in ? I have young family too and when I looked at it would be around an hour to hour and half with traffic/traffic lights etc then 20-30 mins getting sorted and 5 min breather before starting the day so if 9 start would have to leave around 7am work to 5 or 530 home for 7pn so basically 7-7 days
  • 14 miles each way to Heathrow and back 3/4 times a week, no climbing just a couple of motorway bridges.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    6 miles each way. I ride most days to work, unless I need to take the car or its raining really hard or icy. No fun arriving at work wet through or risking a fall on ice.
    Luckily its a mostly well lit route with cycle paths so not too bad even in the dark. My shifts vary from 6am starts to 10pm finishes. Decent lights are a must I think. I use Lezyne.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • 13 miles each way, come rain, shine, ice, snow, wind etc
  • 15 miles each way - tail wind going to work 80% of the time and head winf going home
  • 14 miles each way to Heathrow and back 3/4 times a week, no climbing just a couple of motorway bridges.

We possibly may cross paths! 10/12 miles depending on route i generally do Bushy-Crane-Hounslow Heath and then up the Parkway to Hillingdon Circuit, once I’ve left leafy Richmound see very few other bikes!

• Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Varies depending on where I sleep ;)
    From the girlfriends house approx 25km each way.
    From my place, 30-35 km depending on how busy the main roads are.
    From the company flat, about 100 paces :D
    There is the opportunity to cheat from my house and use the train for 2 /3 of the journey but the times don't fit in with reality, so I'm still more likely to cycle. Luckily I've got a choice of e-bikes as it's hilly from wherever I travel, apart from the flat!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Right now?
    About 7m.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Last job 21 miles each way over a choice of routes; about 360m elevation each way.

New office base is nearer 75 miles so no way am I riding that! WFH preferred (now enforced) with 14 stairs and a couple of metres at either end. Trials skills not up to it yet.
  • denis992
    denis992 Posts: 65
    Was 13 miles each way, was then 57 miles each way (was about to do once a week split over two days and then got a succession of health issues so didn't). Now a complete mess and don't know what I am doing from one day to the next.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    pblakeney said:

Right now?
    About 7m.

impressed you still cycle it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584

pblakeney said:

Right now?
    About 7m.

impressed you still cycle it.
    You've seen the guys running a marathon in their garden? 🤣
    But no. I walk 7m past the turbo.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ~4.2 miles in, ~4.6 home on the Voodoo... It's become a lot harder work recently after I had to stop using the rear FatNotFat 29er wheel with a 700x28mm 4 Season and revert to the standard fat wheel with 26x4" Jumbo Jim!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo