Bib shorts for newbie cyclist

Hi all,

I’m relatively new to cycling and struggling with comfort in the saddle. I have a bike fitting coming up at which I’ll discuss saddle options but for bib shorts do people have any experience with any of the following -
Rapha Core
Rapha classic bib shorts II
Assos Mille GT
Assos T Equipe Evo
Le Col sport

My primary requirement is comfort on long rides whilst I build up endurance/cycling fitness.

I’m guessing I can’t really go wrong with any of them.

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    It's a bit 'horses for courses' annoyingly. What one person loves you might find picnhes or rubs - everyone's anatomy is a bit different.

All of those you've stated have a good reputation and get good reviews. I'm generally a cheapskate and avoid the real premium brands but I did buy some Assos Equipe bibshorts last year in their sale and find them very comfortable.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    My personal favourites are Pactimo. The RRP is pretty steep but they regularly have substantial discounts or codes available.

Also worth considering Galibier and Lusso for some slightly lower priced alternatives.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited March 2020
    Unfortunately fit is a very personal thing and what works for one person doesn't or another. The last thing you want are shorts that are a bit loose and hence the pad starts moving around and causing chafing.

Once you find a good brand whose products fit you well (For me, DHB and Santini are good) then I find you become very loyal to them!
  • Usual "everyone is different" caveat aside, Pactimo Summit Stratos bibs are superb. Not cheap, but worth it for me. Sign up for the reward points scheme, with a bit of gaming it you can get a discount.
  • Good advice about fit being personal. I’m 172cm tall and 76kg but tend to struggle to find clothing that fits my lower half well. I may go for the Rapha Core and Assos Mille to try a couple of brands out.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    A lot of it comes down to the pad - and you might find the same pad in different pairs of shorts. E.g. I have some Castelli free aero shorts and some of their endurance shorts and both use the same pad.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    What is the discomfort you are currently experiencing and what shorts do you have? In my experience, my order of comfort is bike fit > Saddle > Shorts with shorts being a very distant 3rd. I've also found DHB ones from wiggle to be more comfortable than the Rapha Pro shorts that were ~ 5x price. I ended up sending the Raphas back.
  • Interesting comment regarding the dhb and Rapha shorts. I have a bike fit this Friday which should also cover the saddle. I’m currently using dhb shorts and madison turbo trainer shorts. I’d say the pain is just sit bone ache from too much time in the saddle. It’s possible that the pad doesn’t come far back enough on either of these shorts given my big ass.
  • Censored = bottom
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    As you say, you are still quite new to cycling. It may just be you need a bit of time? I know after some time off I am less comfortable in exactly the same kit and position, but after a couple of weeks I'm as happy as Larry.

Given the bike fit is so soon, I'd at least hold off buying some pretty expensive shorts and wait to see how much gets changed in the fit, perhaps mention it to the fitter though.
  • Longshot
    For what it's worth, my Decathlon bibs are just about as comfortable as my Assos ones that I mentioned above and about 1/4 of the price.
  • What benefit do you get from the Assos bibs over the Decathlon? Are they comfortable for longer? Do they breathe more?

Thank you to all that have taken the time to help me out. I’ve got a load more questions regarding pedals, turbo trainers etc that I’m still researching. Very much enjoying this new hobby.
  • Longshot

What benefit do you get from the Assos bibs over the Decathlon? Are they comfortable for longer? Do they breathe more?

I would say that they are slightly more comfortable over longer distances but I still get a sore a**e on a long ride (i.e. over 40/50 miles) but that has as much to do with the fact that I'm a fat so and so and, until they invent a cycling pad that's pocket sprung and about 5 inches deep, the amount of weight I put down on the saddle is a bigger cause than any fault with the shorts I wear.

The Assos also has a larger bib area at the front which is good as it's better at hiding my insubstantial manhood.
  • fiverears
    fiverears Posts: 38
    I have not once had a good experience with Rapha gear, always end up sending back.
    road cycling saddles are ment to be uncomfortable when not wearing padded tights.
    I have some £40 tights off amazon that are very average then some £180 3/4 tights from cafeducycliste and the difference is very telling.
    Both pair are a little to small for me but I losing weight and will fit perfectly in a couple of months
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Castelli Progetto X2 pad has always been excellent for me on longer rides.

Also like the KISS pad they do but this isn't quite as padded but is cheaper.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Dhb kit has been brilliant for me.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    In my experience the biggest differences you get between brands at different price points is durability more than comfort. And size. It is easy to fall between size in one brand (such as in the grippers but not the straps, or vice versa) but be spot on in another brand. I happen to fit Endura. I have wasted a lot of money on more "premium" brands that fit someone else fantastically.