'ning

going to be nippy i think, and the sunny days seem over for now

ride, with luck a socially distanced takeaway coffee at some point
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    edited March 2020
    Morning, just been in the garden to fetch tigger in, cold with what felt snow , then we had a bit of a flurry , cycling in the garage again
    Have a good day
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    oxoman said:

...no drafting. :*

That'll bugger a few Strava times and slow Hoppy up.

Me finishing mower epic me. Must locate charging circuit. Must calculate in line resistor resistance requirement and calculate trickle charge voltage.
    Actually, this is a lie, I need to find a point where the engine revs aren't compromised without excess throttle and disengage charging whilst cranking. Which means a switch surely and an LED to tell me the charging function is on or off...
    Off course, none of you are interested in the above but it's a free world and i'm exercising my right to ramble.

Later trip to a deserted beach.

It's bloody chilly today.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    pinno said:

oxoman said:

That'll censored a few Strava times and slow Hoppy up.

Me finishing mower epic me. Must locate charging circuit. Must calculate in line resistor resistance requirement and calculate trickle charge voltage.
    Actually, this is a lie, I need to find a point where the engine revs aren't compromised without excess throttle and disengage charging whilst cranking. Which means a switch surely and an LED to tell me the charging function is on or off...
    Off course, none of you are interested in the above but it's a free world and i'm exercising my right to ramble.

Later trip to a deserted beach.

It's bloody chilly today.

We might be interested if we understood what TF you were talking about ;)

Good lie in to compensate for the clocks going forward. now not doing a lot as there's not a lot to do. Walk dogs soon, then lunch. Then something else.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    pinno said:

oxoman said:

Cheeky. It's normally a line of 2 or 3 in my considerable wind shadow.

Today I got on my bike, rode for 7 mins into a fierce and cold north easterly, then turned round and free wheeled home in 2 minutes. Fark that for a game of soldiers. Will walk the dog later.
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2020
    hopkinb said:

pinno said:

oxoman said:

Cheeky. It's normally a line of 2 or 3 in my considerable wind shadow.

Today I got on my bike, rode for 7 mins into a fierce and cold north easterly, then turned round and free wheeled home in 2 minutes. Fark that for a game of soldiers. Will walk the dog later.
    Morning Hoppy. Just stuck my head out and it is pretty chilly/breezy, but the hounds won't take that as an excuse...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    hopkinb said:

pinno said:

oxoman said:

Cheeky. It's normally a line of 2 or 3 in my considerable wind shadow..
    Like being behind a bus?
    So, basically you are responsible for a number of Strava averages going t1ts up :)

• pinno
    edited March 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Boot, the, on, foot, other, the, is...

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,550
    Took last of the old shed(s) to the recycling centre.

Picked up (at a safe distance) a big steel outdoor fireplace, so we can sit out there and burn stuff. Going to be a lot of time for that coming up with today's new restrictions in place.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

I suppose you could do some online techy geek classes for the rest of us and help pass the time :) Looks like we've got another 2 months of this.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    That wind is gusting more strongly as day progresses. Decided more prudent to not go out on planned ride, don't want to be getting binned off by a crosswind and requiring A&E, not in these times. Shame, still dry and partially sunny.

There's always tomorrow...until the next phase of lockdown bars all sort of external exercise...
  • hopkinb
    orraloon said:

There's always tomorrow...until the next phase of lockdown bars all sort of external exercise...

I have just assembled a very expensive elliptical trainer that Mrs H³ panic bought a week ago.

Given that I put it together, I fully expect it to explode in a big cloud of nuts, bolts and gyroscopes. :#
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Afternoon folks, traditional slow start has been had. Slower than usual judging by what the clocks claim.
    Piña if the charging is drawing so much it affects cranking surely there is something wrong. Unless you’re building a completely stripped out racing lawnmower which is just wrong.
    Didn’t venture out for a ride as it’s windy and I’m lazy, had a bit of a walk though.
    Hope you got the EPO insured Hoppy?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Hello playmates.
    Lazy day being had here, at least by me anyway. Missus has been less lazy and I expect she will expect me to be less lazy going forward.
    I have broken with tradition today. That is to say I have had a nap before Sunday dinner rather than after. I may try to turn 'rather than' into 'as well as'
  • pinno

Piña if the charging is drawing so much it affects cranking surely there is something wrong.

No. When you crank - (ignition switch turned against the spring), the charging circuit is open.
    3 positions on the ignition switch. A: charging circuit closed, B: Charging circuit open, ignition off and C: start - charging circuit open, ignition on; power to starter motor*.
    Once started, the megneto feeds power to the engine independent of the ignition switch. In fact, you can take the key out and it will still keep running.

*I discovered this today, by accident - I wondered why you put the key in and you can turn the key anti-clockwise with no apparent effect - I thought it was the kill engine facility. I took a lead off it and earthed it with the engine running but the engine kept running. When you put the key in, it's in the B position. How clever is that? So if you want it to charge, you turn the key to the A position after starting (after it warms up).
    It took me a while to work out which other spade to complete the charging circuit to the battery and some sourcing of slightly higher amp cable - just in case. It seems to be putting out 12v at very low amps - 5 roughly, depending on engine speed.
    Unlike it's predecessor, the Briggs and Stratton engine. It was so goosed, it hadn't the power to run and charge simultaneously.
    I will deploy some LED's to tell me the charging circuit is on or off.

The kill switch is separate.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

I suppose you could do some online techy geek classes for the rest of us and help pass the time :) Looks like we've got another 2 months of this.
    2 months at least it seems.

Project binky but with pinno
  • pinno
    Pinno's Project Porker (1) will be with you soon.

That's going to be 'gulp' and get on with it. I've decided to really take my time. Couple of hours a day max, label everything. Cross fingers engine is A1.
    That reminds me, I need to refresh my SS nuts, bolts and washers inventory.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

<
    I suppose you could do some online techy geek classes for the rest of us ....

What sort of geeky tech do you want?
    (Although, I don't class this as geeky in the slightest.)

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Lockdown extension is now ok, as not only have I built a bar, but 24 hrs on, it’s still standing
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,550
    tlw1 said:

Lockdown extension is now ok, as not only have I built a bar, but 24 hrs on, it’s still standing

Ah, but have you tried dancing on it yet?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1

tlw1 said:

Ah, but have you tried dancing on it yet?

Saving that for Friday night
  • pinno
    edited March 2020
    You're wfh and I can annoy you - no excuses now.
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2020
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

<
    I suppose you could do some online techy geek classes for the rest of us ....

What sort of geeky tech do you want?
    (Although, I don't class this as geeky in the slightest.)

How about some stuff about how to fix things for us lot who listened at school to avoid manual labour in later life? :)
  • pinno
    Did you ever see the film 'About Schmidt'?
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Never heard of it.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Never heard of it.
    Well, don't watch it. ;)
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

Depends if I’ve blocked your number 😂
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

pinno said:

Great minds think alike :D
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

The irony - I’ve text him and he hasn’t responded!
  • hopkinb
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

pinno said:

The irony - I’ve text him and he hasn’t responded!
    He's probably wondering what the beeping noise is, and has gone to poke about under the bonnet of his old heap of German junk to find out what's going to fall off next...;)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    tlw1 said:

Is the bar just a fancy backdrop for all the video calls?