Converting triple to double - options

Hi all.
I use my old Iron Horse MTB as the pub/station bike now and my triple front mech (3x8) has finally given up the ghost.
I haven't used the bottom ring for ages so I'm thinking it might be worth dropping down to a 2x8 setup. From what I've read, a 2x10 front mech should be fine with the 8 speed casette and I'm happy to buy an old double shifter off ebay. My only concern is whether it'll be enough just to take the botom ring off and set the limit screws on the new front mech? Will it swing out far enough to reach the big ring?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    You don't actually need to change any parts, unless they're worn out. You can set the limit screws on your current mech so that it starts on the middle ring and shifts out to the big ring.
  • aarondown
    aarondown Posts: 16

You don't actually need to change any parts, unless they're worn out. You can set the limit screws on your current mech so that it starts on the middle ring and shifts out to the big ring.

The front mech is dead so it needs replacing anyway. My initial thought was that it seemed silly to get a triple FD to replace, not least becasue they're harder to come by now. However, concerned that a 2x10 FD will not work with a triple crankset with small ring removed.