Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, 81 more days to go, I’m bored already
    Have a good day
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Morning,

At least you have somewhere to mark the count rather than the bedroom wall.

Guess what, WFH. Hound has been walked. Think i'll set up the turbo in the garden today. Btw should anyone fancy a Zwift ride post down the event you are joining, may see on it.

Sainsburys shop was normal yesterday thankfully.

Onwards to resolving the problems of HE.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,142
    'ning

WFH, frustrated by people not being around to check stuff with. When it warm up a bit I might see if my ethernet cable will reach to the garden.

Giving up my daily quota of outdoor exercise today so someone else can enjoy it. Might walk to the shop for provisions.

Funny how everyone seems to be walking or cycling places now, like they couldn't do it before...
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081

'ning

Funny how everyone seems to be walking or cycling places now, like they couldn't do it before...

And I've not left my house except to walk the hound.

Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,860
    Replicating my M42 commute on the spin bike whilst looking at the pallet, oak work top and other kitchen left overs to create a bar at some point

Hopefully ride road bike later, ended up on the fun bike as the rugrats wanted to go out
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    Another day of living in a box. At least it isn't a cardboard one. Still quite busy which is good as there's sod all else to do during the day.

Will go for a run later to shift a bit of lard.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, spin on Zwift this morning May go out later on the gravel bike as the trails are dry dog is doing morning zoomies round the garden so she likely wont need a walk. I'll wait for it to warm up before resuming my patio position.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,005
    Is it wrong that wifey and me went out for a bike ride yesterday? We didn't interact with anyone at all, stopped at a pub (car park) for a cereal bar and drink of water (out of the bottle) and came home.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I have just had 45 mins on the rollers, I set them up on the decking this morning, it seemed a lot better than riding them in the garage.
    Ps, I didn’t fall off them this morning
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,860

Is it wrong that wifey and me went out for a bike ride yesterday? We didn't interact with anyone at all, stopped at a pub (car park) for a cereal bar and drink of water (out of the bottle) and came home.

Nope, did you mention your wife on the Strava feed to explain the speed?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,005
    No but that's a very good point, I'll rename it to "Zone 1 ride with wifey"
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    Glorious autumn day. Had to spoil it with a trip out for supplies. Even bought a lottery ticket, but drawn tonight and I won... nothing. One ticket winner for 80 million bucks....

Fire permit rule lifted today, so we burned a pile of old rubbish to celebrate.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,452
    Yay, replacement mouse for my laptop and a mouse mat turned up on time. That's my win for the day...must be getting bored.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    Sorted rattle behind bumper on Porker2#. Now I can hear other interior one's. Took it for a jolly on the back roads - didn't see a soul bar 1 tractor.
    Then I cleaned it.
    That was after Skyping mad hippie brother in New Zealand. He's in some strange place called Coromandel.
    Then did 'school work' with Shorty. Mainly maths and English and a lot of bopping her on the head with a pillow.
    Sourced milk from local village store. Haven't been there in years. Used gloves, used sanitiser (25ml bleach in 1ltr of water in a trigger bottle), also sterilised the loose change - money is filthy stuff at the best of times.
    Now sat here having a cheeky second coffee whilst Oh is in the shower.
    Going to run out of things to do until... engine/gearbox extraction on Porker#1.
    Weather has been stunning all day. 14degc. That must be a March record for Jockland.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,673
    Coromandel? Is that where Peter Mandelson is concocting Corona bugs/beers?

@pinno, you are a motor techie. Q for you: my front wheel alignment checked today was off the scale out. Neither the garage mechanic who checked the vehicle on Tuesday nor the Kwikfit techie doing the tracking check could find any physical problem, e.g. damage, wear, excess play to explain. And I haven't hit any massive pothole. Plus this is a Sherman tank style L200 truck. Something shifted somewhere.. but what and why?

Alignment adjusted back to all good status and steering feels as tight as it has been throughout. Puzzler.
  • pinno
    edited March 2020
    @orraloon: is the camber out - particularly on the near side?
    This can be adjusted by the use of shims.

Excess camber can throw the tracking.

Quote: " I doubt most garages will know how to adjust an L200...."

• orraloon
    KFit were very not busy so senior techie happy to do all the angles and (non) dangles lasering checks. He reset it to proper, green lights status but clearly puzzled as to what had happened. Guess a recheck after some weeks and see if still all good. Mind you, limited mileage being covered in these coming days.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

KFit were very not busy so senior techie happy to do all the angles and (non) dangles lasering checks. He reset it to proper, green lights status but clearly puzzled as to what had happened. Guess a recheck after some weeks and see if still all good. Mind you, limited mileage being covered in these coming days.

Just check for unusual tyre wear. Particularly near side tyre.
    It's common for the camber to be out on that wheel more than the other.

Does it drive in a straight line with no hands on a flat road?
  • orraloon
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

Just check for unusual tyre wear. Particularly near side tyre.
    It's common for the camber to be out on that wheel more than the other.

Does it drive in a straight line with no hands on a flat road?
    Yes it does. Well, yes it did all normal; then last week while driving home, no obvious cause, no pothole hit, no odd noises, suddenly steering wheel position was 1030 rather than 1200. Steering still tight, responsive, no play, just wrong position, still driving in a straight line no hands.

My usual mechanic checked all the joints, bars, no damage, wear, excess play. Said to get tracking checked, hence yesterday's discovery. Now steering position back to normal, and driving as usual. No evidence of abnormal tyre wear but minimal mileage since the 12 to 1030 event.

Weird. Will continue to monitor. Wonder if something somewhere like in the steering box just jumped a spline or cog. But why if there's no abnormal signs?
  • pinno
    Switch engine on. Rotate steering wheel from absolute left to absolute right. You may get a little judder on the full extension - that's just a hydraulic pressure limit valve, quite normal.
    When you are moving the wheel from lock to lock, see if there are any unusual sounds. Also see if the central position of the wheel is 12 o'clock.
    I understand what you are saying about 'jumping a cog' but I very much doubt this has happened.

It is possible for the hydraulic oil in the power steering pump/rack to be contaminated. It doesn't last forever. It may need changing.

That's a tad on the extreme as far as fault diagnosis is however but not to be dismissed.

The worst faults are intermittent.

If you get this 10.30 or 1.30 position again, i'd hazard a guess that the rack is on it's way out.
    If the pump goes, you get gradually heavier steering.
    If the rack goes, you get oddities in tracking (sometimes).

What do you mean when you say that the steering is 'tight'?
  • orraloon
    Ok, will go through those steps tomorrow. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

By 'tight' I mean there is no steering wheel play, slightest movement gives change in direction, no slack in the multiple connecting bits between front wheels and steering wheel.
  • pinno
    There's no 'dead spot' whatsoever?
  • orraloon
    @pinno #inhousemechanic

Did the full lock to full lock check; no unusual noises, no juddering, all seems fine.

Steering wheel centres alright with wheels straight ahead.

Can wiggle the steering wheel maybe by c. 2cm at rim with wheels centred before movement, which feels normal.

So, good that no adverse symptoms, just unsettling that the displacement happened for no apparent reason. Guess monitor and see what if anything gets found at MOT whenever that might happen.