Zwift setup help

Hi. Apologies qlr Ady posted but not sure where it went.
I've just splashed out £1k for a treadmill for various other reasons as well as easier multiple users and Zwift run is currently free.
I would like to also have a bike setup too.
I have a decent adventure bike that I normally ride outside few times a week and commute, but no power meters.
I'd be setting it up upstairs with the treadmill and would like the kids and wife to possibly use it too. So I'm thinking an adjustable static/spin bike save me faffing with bringing bikes up/down stairs but don't want expense of watt bike, budget around £500 can it be done?
Could I adapt a cheapish smart bike for Zwift? Second hand classified/eBay is fine
I could setup in shed maybe and swap between mine and kids bikes if that's cheaper option - guess as different bikes and axel be b at for wheelon although would prefer direct drive?
Thoughts please 😆
Thanks Andy

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Anything that can guesstimate power and transmit it to Zwift will get you going.
    They are in demand now and prices will reflect this.
    Wheel off is better but usually more expensive.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Yeah treadmill also high in demand... I can wait a bit if means get a better deal ...

I guess depends if want other family members to be able to use it, different thru axels so comparability issues be concern

Is it only Watt bikes that are Zwift compatible?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    andyh01 said:

Is it only Watt bikes that are Zwift compatible?

Nope. Any turbo that can transmit power is compatible. Assuming it connects to your phone/pad/laptop/PC/smart TV running Zwift.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    Does Zwift go just on power or would speed/cadence sensor work?
    I guess if just taking data in then wouldn't automatically change resistance?
    With a DD turbo am I right in thinking the resistance on the turbo match the gradients on Zwift?
    Do you then use gears on bike to help like when riding outside?
    Guess if went spin bike then power meters (are double sided pm better than single side) be just as expensive or more so than DD turbo benefit I could swap pedals over to outdoor bike disadvantage would have manually change resistance to match
    What max resistance to replicate famous climbs on Zwift?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I find a dumb trainer works great for me. I'm not treating it like a ride outside and don't want to mess round changing gear all of the time.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    fenix said:

I find a dumb trainer works great for me. I'm not treating it like a ride outside and don't want to mess round changing gear all of the time.

I'm using a dumb trainer as well. I am using gears but mainly for HIIT sessions. It's no different to what I was doing on the gym bikes before the shutdown just more comfortable as the bike fits me better and it doesn't have a stupidly wide saddle.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I do enjoy the training sessions on Zwift - some of the group ones are murder - but judged very well. Just about achievable.