wednesday i'm a traveler of both time and space

'ning

ride, get nyt, wfh, all is subsuming into an eternal now

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, looks cold outside, I received a letter from the nhs yesterday telling me to stay at home for the next 12 weeks, at least I will have no excuses to jobs around the house, on the good side only 83 days to go.
    Have a good day
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    More of the same, but may swop the run for a bike ride later
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    oxoman said:

Needed s haircut before this kicked off, eldest might be using his clippers later.

Same here Oxo, have bought some clippers and will go skinhead when being a bit of a hippy starts to annoy me.

Holed up in my work den for most of the day. May go for a run later on.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Needed s haircut before this kicked off, eldest might be using his clippers later.

Same here Oxo, have bought some clippers and will go skinhead when being a bit of a hippy starts to annoy me.
    Me too, I take it my beard trimmers aren’t the perfect solution?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Still at work, two in the office in separate rooms, two in the workshop manufacturing ventilators* several meters apart.

I think we'll finish the week and then anything else will be pointless.

*may not be completely accurate
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    oxoman said:

My problem is that my age it doesn't grow in the right places anymore.

Going bald is just losing the battle against gravity or something.

Was planning on going for a run/cycle at lunchtime when it warmed up a bit more, but woke up feeling shoot and with a sore leg and back and in a bad mood :angry:

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    edited March 2020
    Went food shopping very early. Place was quiet, which is good.

Just about to pull the trigger on purchase of a cordless impact driver (pun intended). This will help dismantle old Porkers and make the engine/gearbox swap a bit easier.

After curriculum subjects, i'm going to start teaching Shorty about time. When you're 7, it's either 'that's aaaaayges' or 'already?!'.
    So surprised school hasn't done more of it and so surprised she's being taught the 2 times table. Quickly found out she's way ahead of that in ability.

Yesterday's 'off curriculum' involved a saucepan, a frying pan, a cooker, hot water, cold water and ice. Anyone guess the concept?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    ^^ Vichyssoise (without the flavouring)?

Lazy day even by my standards, although I did manage a short turbo session followed by some rowing machine action late in the day, mainly to offset the extra chocolate and liquorice munched while bored.

Chopped up last of the old and rotting pallets in the woodshed. Now we have to wait till the fire permit season is finished so we can burn stuff outdoors. Have a huge pile of rubbish timber and stuff that's not suitable for indoor use. Tomorrow may get the angle grinder out and cut a 44 gal drum in half to use as a fire pit. Must dust off the banjo too.

In other news, my appointment tomorrow with the skin cancer clinic has been deferred till... October. Apparently it's better that I die slowly from undiagnosed melanoma than catch a virus. :|

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666

Must dust off the banjo too.

I knew you were rural WS, but didn't think you were in banjo country. Hope you have a suitable porch and a rocking chair for when you play it :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2020
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Give it a try and post a pic. What's the worst that could happen? :smile:

I just got a set of clippers from Argos but haven't yet summoned up the determination to go 'Sigourney Weaver in Alien 3'. Apparently it'll be embarrassing for Stropteen, despite me pointing out that we won't be seeing anyone we know for a few months.
  • Wheelspinner
    Stevo_666 said:

Must dust off the banjo too.

I knew you were rural WS, but didn't think you were in banjo country. Hope you have a suitable porch and a rocking chair for when you play it :)
    This whole state is renowned for pointy-heads... There are endless jokes about it, with varying degrees of tastelessness.

I don't actually own a banjo. Had a couple gee-tars I never learned to play properly. Now just a piano I also can't play.

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning, all quiet here, weirdly quiet as no ones really driving anywhere currently sat on the patio debating lunch while the dog loafs in the sun.
    Did some shopping yesterday beer isle had been stripped bar the Corona, so I bought some an some limes. People are so stupid!

Anyway another day of not doing much ahead.
  • Wheelspinner
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

I just got a set of clippers from Argos but haven't yet summoned up the determination to go 'Sigourney Weaver in Alien 3'. Apparently it'll be embarrassing for Stropteen, despite me pointing out that we won't be seeing anyone we know for a few months.
    I've done the clippers thing for 25 years now, and only on my third set. Saved me a fortune, which I've wasted on other fripperies.

My former neighbour in Sydney was also a cyclist, although a relative newbie, and we were chatting one afternoon out in the street having both arrived back from a ride, a couple of MAMIL's. His daughter drove up and came out to ask something, and made a comment about "Daaaaaad, you shouldn't be out here in that lycra, it's, like, sooooooo embarrassing... "

I said "you just wait till he starts shaving his legs too!"

Look on her face was priceless.. :D
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

I've done the clippers thing for 25 years now, and only on my third set. Saved me a fortune, which I've wasted on other fripperies.

My former neighbour in Sydney was also a cyclist, although a relative newbie, and we were chatting one afternoon out in the street having both arrived back from a ride, a couple of MAMIL's. His daughter drove up and came out to ask something, and made a comment about "Daaaaaad, you shouldn't be out here in that lycra, it's, like, sooooooo embarrassing... "

I said "you just wait till he starts shaving his legs too!"

Look on her face was priceless.. :D
    I wouldn't be doing my job as a parent properly if I didn't embarrass her. Clipper time in the next week and will wait for the reaction :smile:
  • Stevo_666
    step83 said:

Did some shopping yesterday beer isle had been stripped bar the Corona,

Step, next time you're talking to someone you can tell them you have a case of Corona but it's nothing to worry about.
  • step83
    Stevo_666 said:

step83 said:

Step, next time you're talking to someone you can tell them you have a case of Corona but it's nothing to worry about.
    Not a bad plan that. Once I've drunk all the Corona can I say I have conquered the virus?
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    A beautiful early spring day round these parts. Went for a ride, saw maybe half a dozen cars in just under 90 mins. Richmond Park is closed to motor traffic and is a cyclist's mecca as a result. Lots of folk out in the sun, from people with their knees rising round their ears on squeaky rusty old hacks that are waay too small, to very determined looking guys on expensive TT machines struggling to top 30 kph on the flat. No group riding (except pairs of people who I'm assuming live together). I swear the air smells sweeter due to the lack of traffic.

BB mechanics - my (newish) front wheel makes a lot of grinding noise whenever it's leant over into a corner, though it's quiet when pointed straight ahead. Do I need to replace the bearings already? Prime wheels, so cartridge type bearings into Novatec hubs. Replacements are easily available online.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Sounds like it, not overly expensive to try either.

try bearingboys or simplybearings
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    afternoon, time for a brew, no biscuits though :(
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Pleasant 90min ride. Quieter roads! Sunshine! Dry! What's not to like? 🤔
    Good indeed for mindset / mental attitude.
  • Stevo_666
    step83 said:

Stevo_666 said:

step83 said:

Not a bad plan that. Once I've drunk all the Corona can I say I have conquered the virus?
    I'd give it 24 hours after drinking and if it hasn't given you the trots by then, you're in the clear.
  • step83
    Stevo_666 said:

step83 said:

Stevo_666 said:

step83 said:

I'd give it 24 hours after drinking and if it hasn't given you the trots by then, you're in the clear.
    Winner!

Hoppy, you might just need to flush them through, I think they are just rebranded Novatec's so dead easy to service, I managed to resurrect an old set of DT's doing that.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    This wfh malarkey is a bit odd, commute in wasn't too bad. The EPO was the only traffic I had to contend with. Went out for a ride on the trail round Richmond Park at lunchtime, quite a few people out. A bit of bad weather wouldn't be too bad as I'd have more space.
    Wednesday without the pub will be a bit strange, we might do virtual beer and bollox with one of these video conferencing things. Not sure how that will be.
    Stevo_666 said:

I wouldn't be doing my job as a parent properly if I didn't embarrass her.

I'm sure I've said it before that it's a father's job to embarass his children.
  • thistle_
    hopkinb said:

BB mechanics - my (newish) front wheel makes a lot of grinding noise whenever it's leant over into a corner, though it's quiet when pointed straight ahead. Do I need to replace the bearings already? Prime wheels, so cartridge type bearings into Novatec hubs. Replacements are easily available online.

Mine rear one went a bit wonky, there was noticeable play in it.
    I replaced 2 bearings of the bearings (Not sure if there are more in there) and it's better but still not 100%.

Hopefully the front one is obvious how to do it, and if not there is a YouTube video for your hub. There's no video or instructions for mine and CRC haven't been able to get any info from Prime.
  • Stevo_666

Wednesday without the pub will be a bit strange, we might do virtual beer and bollox with one of these video conferencing things. Not sure how that will be.

Just make sure the beer is real and the meeting is virtual rather than the other way round.
  • pinno

^^ Vichyssoise (without the flavouring)?

Evaporation, condensation, precipitation.

Though I didn't mention sublimation.

Me done coil packs and plugs on Porker#2. Fiddly and tedious but got there. So pleased I re-did the exhaust system with ss nuts and bolts some time ago. Getting pay back in buckets.

Tomorrow pulleys and pulley bearing replacement on Rocky Rocket. Overhaul no.2 with Honda engine. I shall be singing 'I did it my way' whilst cutting grass.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Stevo_666 said:

Just make sure the beer is real and the meeting is virtual rather than the other way round.
    Oh yesh...
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

We've got one organised at work. We don't go for drinks after work anyway so I don't know why it's been set up.

I might just go for a spin on the turbo and point the camera at that and see how long it takes them to get bored.
  • pinno

Stevo_666 said:

We've got one organised at work. We don't go for drinks after work anyway so I don't know why it's been set up.

I might just go for a spin on the turbo and point the camera at that and see how long it takes them to get bored.
    You'll be f*cked if they don't get bored within 10 mins :)
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

No pubs open seems to mean I’m drinking more than normal. Tomorrow night will be good as the old local are hosting a virtual gig with a pal playing - should be good