Fitting 28mm Road Tyres with Rim Brakes

Hi All,

Has anyone fitted 28mm road tyres to their road bike? I have an Orro Gold currently with 25mm tyres and want to fit some wider tyres for a bit more stability and grip etc. but I am worried if they will fit past Ultegra rim brakes. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    will 28mm tyres fit without rubbing the frame?
    ultegra standard calipers are rated to 25mm I believe but just about ok with 28mm depending on the brand / model of tyre. and the rim combination. they may be a squeeze to get the wheel in or out with the tyre inflated.

The latest versions might be better, certainly the dual mount calipers are designed for much wider tyres
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I have GP4000’s in a 28 on my CAAD12, it’s tight but they just about fit.

Brake calipers need loosening off fully when removing & reinstalling the wheel though.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I tried to fit 28s to my old Trek 2.3 and whilst they were fine with the brakes and width, they were way too tall.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    ibr17xvii said:

I have GP4000’s in a 28 on my CAAD12, it’s tight but they just about fit.

Brake calipers need loosening off fully when removing & reinstalling the wheel though.

those GP4000's come up very wide not suprised its tight. nice bike btw!
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Cheers.

I was expecting them to be wide as I knew they come up large but I wasn’t expecting them to be that tight if I’m honest.

When they need replacing I’ll probably go back to 25’s as it’s faff messing about with the brakes every time the wheels need to come off.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I realise this isn’t completely relevant to your issue but I have Durano 28s on my Px Maratona with SRAM Force brakes.
    There is plenty of room in the frame and the brakes are ok with the blocks at the bottom of the slots.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    An easy way of finding out how much clearance you have is to run a hex key around the tyre at each point it comes close to the frame/brake. The size of the hex key tells you the clearance. You will want 3-4mm clearance at least with the new tyres, so I'd be looking for 5-6mm clearance with the current tyres.
  • Hi All,

Has anyone fitted 28mm road tyres to their road bike? I have an Orro Gold currently with 25mm tyres and want to fit some wider tyres for a bit more stability and grip etc. but I am worried if they will fit past Ultegra rim brakes. Any advice would be appreciated :)

I've fitted 28mm Hutchinson Sector to my Orro Gold - the wheels have Kinlin rims. The tyres fit fine - done a few hundred miles now and no hint of rubbing.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    edited March 2020
    I found that these method for removing/installing wheels with 28mm tyres to a bike with correctly adjusted rim brakes was to do so with air out of the tyres. Pump up once on.
    Using the usual brake opening methods was insufficient when inflated.

Edit - For clarification, TRP RG957 & Durano 28s on Ambrossio or Campagnolo rims.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    pblakeney said:

I found that these method for removing/installing wheels with 28mm tyres to a bike with correctly adjusted rim brakes was to do so with air out of the tyres. Pump up once on.
    Using the usual brake opening methods was insufficient when inflated.

That isn't the case with my SRAM Force brakes with Schwalbe Durano 28 tyres on Archetype rims. The brake blocks just touch the sides of the tyres so the wheel can easily be removed and refitted when fully inflatated.
  • Hi All,

I've fitted 28mm Hutchinson Sector to my Orro Gold - the wheels have Kinlin rims. The tyres fit fine - done a few hundred miles now and no hint of rubbing.
    Thanks :) I'm running 25s at the moment and there is about 5-6mm clearance at the closest part.
  • An easy way of finding out how much clearance you have is to run a hex key around the tyre at each point it comes close to the frame/brake. The size of the hex key tells you the clearance. You will want 3-4mm clearance at least with the new tyres, so I'd be looking for 5-6mm clearance with the current tyres.

Thanks, there is about 5-6mm clearance currently.

• Thanks for the advice chaps, the clearance is pretty close at the moment, especially at the narrowest parts as shown on the photos, it's about 6mm. I don't want to have too little clearance that debris could get stuck.
  • smethley
    smethley Posts: 45
    I realise you're asking about rim brakes, but just to say for interest that bigger tyres, stability, grip etc, as you mention, is why I moved over to discs from rims. For me as a bigger rider too, it's been a fantastic move.
  • denis992
    denis992 Posts: 65
    Had 28mm on my Boardman Team Carbon with no issues on both the original Tektro R540 calipers and the current Dura-Ace 9100 calipers. I know the later 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace calipers are designed to cope with 28mm, unlike the earlier versions.
    Had the same issues as others with having to deflate the tyres to remove the wheels with the Tektro's, not sure about the Dura-Ace as I went 25mm tubleess at the same time.
    I think the bike manufacturers use 4mm as the minimum clearance when quoting max tyre sizes.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    denis992 said:

Had 28mm on my Boardman Team Carbon with no issues on both the original Tektro R540 calipers and the current Dura-Ace 9100 calipers. I know the later 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace calipers are designed to cope with 28mm, unlike the earlier versions.
    Had the same issues as others with having to deflate the tyres to remove the wheels with the Tektro's, not sure about the Dura-Ace as I went 25mm tubleess at the same time.
    I think the bike manufacturers use 4mm as the minimum clearance when quoting max tyre sizes.

Denis992, Id be interested in the year and fit with your bike as I have a 2016 Team Carbon, yellow and black one and have 25mm GP4000SII at the moment. I have a winter bike with 28mm GP4000sii and would like a smother ride but always felt it was too tight to fit anything wider.
    Regards.
    T
  • denis992
    tonysj said:

denis992 said:

Denis992, Id be interested in the year and fit with your bike as I have a 2016 Team Carbon, yellow and black one and have 25mm GP4000SII at the moment. I have a winter bike with 28mm GP4000sii and would like a smother ride but always felt it was too tight to fit anything wider.
    Regards.
    T

I used both 28mm GP4000SII's and GP 4 seasons without issue. The was on the standard 15mm internal width Mavics.

Bear in mind I weigh 63Kgs which might help. I tended to run 85psi ish.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    denis992 said:

tonysj said:

denis992 said:

Regards.
    T

I used both 28mm GP4000SII's and GP 4 seasons without issue. The was on the standard 15mm internal width Mavics.

Thanks Denis992, I think you have the model before mine which may be slightly different in dimensions. I suppose I will just have to swap the tyres and see but I will check the clearance first as I have changed the original wheels, Mavics, to some CERO AR24 EVOs which may alter the size of the tyres due to the rims.
    Regards.
    T
  • denis992
    tonysj said:

denis992 said:

tonysj said:

denis992 said:

Regards.
    T

Thanks Denis992, I think you have the model before mine which may be slightly different in dimensions. I suppose I will just have to swap the tyres and see but I will check the clearance first as I have changed the original wheels, Mavics, to some CERO AR24 EVOs which may alter the size of the tyres due to the rims.
    Regards.
    T
    Yeah, rim width can make a bike difference. I now run 25mm tubeless on 18mm internal rims. The tyre width is around 27mm. Comfort is similar to 28mm tubed.

Thats if I ever get them back off my daughter!