tuesday oh, let the sun beat down upon my face

'ning

get nyt from masked person, wfh

volume needs increasing, eleven is not enough
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, freezing again, dog walked does that count as one daily exercise for tigger or myself or both of us?
    Have a good day
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Lovely sunny day. Had organised to give away a garden shed as it was just not being used, and in a dreadful spot visually. That was picked up this morning, and we've now sorted to get rid of the second one of them. Was used as a woodshed, but we've a cubic mile of other storage space for that, so it's going on Friday.

Will leave (for the time being) a lovely big flat slab to park a couple chairs, a BBQ and a fire pit, where we can sit in splendid isolation and burn stuff (hopefully not the things on the BBQ though).

All else is surprisingly normal.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Still alive so a good start.

Will pop out for a leisurely solo bike ride in the sunshine sometime later. Work server access is threatening to be working again by lunchtime so this morning may be best.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    In work today as normal as manufacturing as such isn't on the list and my staff will expect their wages to continue to be paid.
    I've sent them all home for now until we formulate a plan to keep a skeleton staff running.
    First thing I thought about when B J announced one exercise per day - 100 mile ride! Technically it's one activity.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    How many bloody sheds do you own WS?!
    Can you post the leftover wood to me please 'cos Jewsons are closed which puts the kibosh on a den for the girls?

It's like a metaphorical Indiana Jones - get stuff before the doors shut. Managed to procure service parts for Porker 2 (just). Suppliers are no longer supplying retailers.

Can't get a food delivery for love nor money. Planning a Lidl raid at silly o'clock tomorrow morning.

Must buy chickens and goats.

Seen as I spent 6 months (bar a few breaks) in 1 room in a hospital in London at one point, puts this current 'isolation' into perspective.

Take it easy, stay safe.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Truck was booked in this morning for service and MOT. Last night was thinking how does one stay legal and MOTed if everything shuts? However mechanics type garages, this is an independent guy couple of villages over other side of valley, still allowed to work.

Put the summer bike on the back, first time it has been outside since a long time, nice rel quiet ride back in sunshine. Good for health, mental most of all.

Strange strange times. Stay upbeat all.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Garages can still work as can their suppliers - hence today starting at a pace that is unsustainable
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Bike shops also apparently declared an "essential service" (that's what the email from LL said anyway).

Went for a bike ride first thing and feel like crap. No cough or fever though, just weak despite what Strava says.

WFH not going terribly well, struggling to work out what needs doing and how to get on with it.
  • homers_double
    I R front line worker, sort of... Just dispatched some components to a hospital.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    Mornin' All,

WFH day 7 going OK so far, not gone mad yet. Being quite busy helps and enjoying a bit of a lie in compared to normal work get up time.

Called some family friends up North to check they're OK (not that I could do much if they weren't) and apart from a minor dog food shortage for one lot they're alright.

Onwards to more remote tax avoidance :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

If we're all working at home are we now liable for business rates? Or do we just keep quiet.
  • Longshot

Stevo_666 said:

If we're all working at home are we now liable for business rates? Or do we just keep quiet.

That one is complicated. There are tests for this that the Valuation Office can use to gauge whether you'd be liable for rates but, under the circumstances and due to the transient nature of the business occupation, I'd suggest it won't be an issue.
  • Wheelspinner
    pinno said:

Can you post the leftover wood to me please 'cos Jewsons are closed which puts the kibosh on a den for the girls?

It's like a metaphorical Indiana Jones - get stuff before the doors shut. Managed to procure service parts for Porker 2 (just). Suppliers are no longer supplying retailers.

Can't get a food delivery for love nor money. Planning a Lidl raid at silly o'clock tomorrow morning.

Seen as I spent 6 months (bar a few breaks) in 1 room in a hospital in London at one point, puts this current 'isolation' into perspective.

Take it easy, stay safe.

The two we're getting rid of are more like cupboards really than sheds. One was 3*3 m, the other about 3*2.4 m. The main one here is about 28 metres by 10, plus side annexe.

Progressive lock down coming here too.

Access to physio and chiropractor services as of tomorrow is now gone indefinitely. For someone like me with chronic, moderate to severe nerve impingement issues and other mechanical failings that's going to make the next X months pretty uncomfortable. Better than the alternative I guess, but not by a lot. :(
  • thistle_

pinno said:

Take it easy, stay safe.

The two we're getting rid of are more like cupboards really than sheds. One was 3*3 m, the other about 3*2.4 m. The main one here is about 28 metres by 10, plus side annexe.

Progressive lock down coming here too.

Access to physio and chiropractor services as of tomorrow is now gone indefinitely. For someone like me with chronic, moderate to severe nerve impingement issues and other mechanical failings that's going to make the next X months pretty uncomfortable. Better than the alternative I guess, but not by a lot. :(
    3*2.4 is still bigger than my shed...

Will the physio etc. not do home visits to save you going outside and mingling?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

It's relative - if you're 2 foot tall...

Shurely a physio going from person to person is picking up and passing bugs from person to...

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    tlw1 said:

Garages can still work as can their suppliers - hence today starting at a pace that is unsustainable

Much the same here, phones have been ringing off the hook downstairs. I've been talking to several suppliers, some are closing others aren't. Doesn't seem to be a pattern, just how people are interpreting what was said. Non-essential shops have to close, no mention of non-essential businesses. We are muddling on with a much reduced staff at head office here, I'll be working from home after today.
    Quite a pleasant wobble in to work this morning, sunny and a bit fresh. Not much traffic but still more than I expected. Might take a slightly extended route home whilst I still can.
    Lad drove back from Brum last night, he decided to get back sharpish on hearing the news. Glad about that as it helped to keep the EPO's worrying down a little bit, she's still fretting of course.
    Stevo, I told female child Stropteen was still working when the EPO told her she should still do some stuff. She wasn't impressed but I think it helped get the point across.
    Trying to keep us and the old dear stocked and stop the not so little cherubs from going stir crazy will be the order of things for the foreseeable I suspect.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,162
    edited March 2020

Stevo, I told female child Stropteen was still working when the EPO told her she should still do some stuff. She wasn't impressed but I think it helped get the point across.

Well she's sitting in the study doing 'stuff' although not sure how much the teachers have actually set her by way of assignments. I'm sure a fair bit of time will involve chatting to her mates online. We explained to her that if they take into account how well you've done/applied yourself to work after the schools closed as part of the uni entry decision, then it's worth making the effort.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

That one is complicated. There are tests for this that the Valuation Office can use to gauge whether you'd be liable for rates but, under the circumstances and due to the transient nature of the business occupation, I'd suggest it won't be an issue.
    That's what I would assume...
    I wonder if it takes into account the actual amount of work done at the alleged workplace.
  • thistle_
    pinno said:

Shurely a physio going from person to person is picking up and passing bugs from person to...

Yes, although it saves people passing on their germs to anyone they meet on the way when they decide to pop to the shops and drop in on their mates for coffee on their way home :mask: lesser or two evils I guess.
    If it's "not essential" then it is easier/safer to just stop it altogether.
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

Well she's sitting in the study doing 'stuff' although not sure how much the teachers have actually set her by way of assignments. I'm sure a fair bit of time will involve chatting to her mates online. We explained to her that if they take into account how well you've done/applied yourself to work after the schools closed as part of the uni entry decision, then it's worth making the effort.
    That’s pretty much what we said, but she’s got an offer of AAB and all her results have been A or A* so she knows she doesn’t have to do any more.
    We just want to keep her occupied and her mind active.
  • homers_double
    Having not ventured out of work today, how are the streets looking? Is everyone behaving?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Longshot

Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's what I would assume...
    I wonder if it takes into account the actual amount of work done at the alleged workplace.

LOL - I'll be ok then. The main thing is whether you have a dedicated working space that exclusively used for the work. If it's shared living space there's very little chance of them rating it, even on a permanent set up.
  • Longshot
    Riding the turbo in the garden, in the sunshine, makes it a whole lot more pleasant experience.

Trying to tempo to 'Whiplash' by Metallica makes it a whole lot more sweaty experience.
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    edited March 2020
    Just heard first case COVID-19 confirmed in work (oil refinery). Won't be the last.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432

Having not ventured out of work today, how are the streets looking? Is everyone behaving?

i went for an early ride, most obeying, but i passed a few bunches that looked like construction workers, no distancing there

more immediate hazard is the drivers who've decided to ignore red lights completely
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thistle_
    sungod said:

i went for an early ride, most obeying, but i passed a few bunches that looked like construction workers, no distancing there

more immediate hazard is the drivers who've decided to ignore red lights completely
    Generally quiet here but yeah idiots are going to go out and be idiots.
    Elderly neighbours have all been out somewhere today. One at least went for some essential shopping - a rose arch :confused:

Someone on the local news website's twatter claimed they saw a group of 4 cyclists trying to fix a puncture which has led to all kinds of anti cyclist hatred and blame for coronovirus...
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696
    sungod said:

Never! must have been cyclists joy riding
  • veronese68
    Evening folks, wobbled back from work through Bushy Park as is normal. Parks will be shut soon I suspect. There was a metric fucktonne of idiots out there. I had to virtually stop a couple of times to pick my way through groups of people blocking a path as wide as a road.
  • Wheelspinner

pinno said:

Yes, although it saves people passing on their germs to anyone they meet on the way when they decide to pop to the shops and drop in on their mates for coffee on their way home :mask: lesser or two evils I guess.
    If it's "not essential" then it is easier/safer to just stop it altogether.
    It’s this. I asked the other day and was told that hospital-based physio’s would still be working for post-operative and/or critical injury treatment, but all else is non-essential. Feckit.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Despite all of the gloom and shite playing with peoples lives we have done at work today, I’ve had a ball being with the family, with a new routine of a film every night (invisible man a bargain at £16 for ferks sake on prime)