Need advice, What gravel rim size and tyres should i get?

Hey,

I have a Bianchi C2.5 Sport Disc Hybrid Bike and i'd like to convert it into more of a gravel bike. it looks to have nice clearance to add a mtb but i am not rightly sure. if id to buy rims what size and tyre size would be most comfy?

The tyres currently on the bike right now are 700c, i'm weary of taking them off-road because of this. every time i've tried to go on paths i get flats either from instant pop or slow air wholes.

Many Thanks

Daniel

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    Your current wheels may be fine with some new tyres - depending on what kind of off-roading you are planning to do.
    If you get new wheels, make sure you get some wider ones - something like mavic allroad or fulcrum rapid red.
    There's a lot of tyres from 32-33mm upwards. Stuff like Panaracer Gravel King SK are available in 32/35/38mm and if you have the clearance then also consider something like Schwalbe G-One Allround 38mm.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The internal width of the rims and fork & stays clearance are the limiting factors.
    Looking at the spec of your bike I believe it has 17mm width rims and 32mm wide tyres. As above, have a look at gravel-specific tyres. 35mm Gravel Kings or similar should fit your rims ok.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Here is the Schwalbe tyres guide to what tyre fits what rim and other wheel/tyre questions.
    You need to know the internal rim width of your wheels in mm. If you don't know then you need to remove a tyre and measure it.
    https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse

If you keep getting punctures then either put some Slime sealant in your tubes, buy Slime tubes, or go tubeless (with sealant). It won't stop you getting punctures, but it will stop you getting flats.
  • thanks for the advice and info!

Ill have a think and come back if i need somemore help <3