Rear thru axle loosening?

What are the possible causes of this issue?
The axle itself?
Mech hanger?
I checked hub numerous times, replacing bearings and free hub body... All seemed good but.... Still loosening

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What bike?
    What rear axle are you using?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    The most likely explanation is you need to clean it, grease it and then tighten it properly.

Eat some spinach. but not bananas .
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I had similar problems with a new bike. The first time it came loose I just tightened it until it felt OK. The second time I torqued it to the correct amount using a torque wrench. The third time I cleaned the threads internally as well as externally, applied some Loctite blue to the male thread and torqued up the axle. There was no fourth time and that was well over a year ago.

Loctite blue is not an adhesive, so you will be able to undo the axle quite easily. What it does do is stop the axle from coming loose through vibration.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    apart from the effect of loctite blue as a lubricant when tightening have you not needed to remove the wheel in over a year?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    david37 said:

apart from the effect of loctite blue as a lubricant when tightening have you not needed to remove the wheel in over a year?

Nope, all has been well. Nothing loose, no odd noises. No need to do anything to the back end assembly that required the rear wheel to be moved. Brake adjustment, tyre pressure; cleaning is all I've had to do. I'm keeping my eye on chain wear and its impact upon the cassette and front ring, but all is well so far. Pivot bearings all well too.