Corbyn, what a pr*ck!

So we are facing a global economic melt down, people are dying alone away from loved ones and this mini Stalin's only contribution is to to bitch about how the Tories have made things worse!

Now I may not agree with Boris or the Tories but the advise is coming from a medical professor and the top scientific advisors in the world, politics in light of all this has f**k all to do with it.

You wonld think that he would use his time in front of camera to reiterate the best advise but no he uses it to moan about tory austerity.

I did not vote tory nor Labour but I accept Boris's advice because I know it has been passed onto him by people in science that have no horse in the political race.

If Corbyn got hit by a bus then I genuinely think the world would be better for it.

Keep safe all

Comments

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696
    ...and that’s an example of why he and his party got annihilated in the election last December
    Imagine having Corbyn in charge now, it would have been like having Michael Foot in charge during the Falkland’s war
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    edited March 2020

...and that’s an example of why he and his party got annihilated in the election last December
    Imagine having Corbyn in charge now, it would have been like having Michael Foot in charge during the Falkland’s war

It would have been Callaghan, and we'd have not withdrawn the navy from the Falklands and so avoided the invasion.

But the point is moot now.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    oxoman said:

Here here, suspect if he was in charge our death toll would be up with the Chinese. People forget that the downturn was a global and within the UK Labour caused. Politics over. Let's just hope everything clears up quickly.

As in labour caused the downturn in the UK?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    oxoman said:

Here here, suspect if he was in charge our death toll would be up with the Chinese. People forget that the downturn was a global and within the UK Labour caused. Politics over. Let's just hope everything clears up quickly.

“Up there with China”? You’ve no idea how this works have you? Deaths don’t happen overnight, people get infected and spread it. As the spread happens more people become ill. As more people become ill, more become critically ill and die. The death toll grows over time. There’s every chance that our death toll will be up there with Italy. Nothing to do with Labour that is it. Restaurants and theatres should have been shut much earlier. Action should have been taken to reduce panic buying (the government response is that supermarkets are in control of the supply chain and can basically be left to it - so why is it still impossible to buy the basics?), testing is almost non-existent, hospitals are already being overwhelmed (who’s been in charge of the NHS for the last 10 years?). Still blaming the last labour government for the effects of the global financial crisis is ridiculous especially since their actions were bang in line with historically correct economic response to recessions. By all means criticise them for things like PFI (which went too far) and Iraq. But the role of the opposition remains to hold the government to account and that’s needed more than ever now. And Johnson has been a shambolic disaster from day 1.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    UK response has been slow up until this week - this time last Sunday my team were playing a cup semi final. Was Boris misadvised or did he ignore the advice - we don't know - but let's not pretend we have prepared for this.

I couldn't give a **** about Corbyn tbh he's leader in name only anyway - too much time spent speculating on what he would have done rather than the mess our actual leaders have made.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited March 2020

UK response has been slow up until this week - this time last Sunday my team were playing a cup semi final. Was Boris misadvised or did he ignore the advice - we don't know - but let's not pretend we have prepared for this.

I couldn't give a **** about Corbyn tbh he's leader in name only anyway - too much time spent speculating on what he would have done rather than the mess our actual leaders have made.

This 100%, I couldn’t give a **** about Corbyn or BOJO to be honest
  • UK response has been slow up until this week - this time last Sunday my team were playing a cup semi final. Was Boris misadvised or did he ignore the advice - we don't know - but let's not pretend we have prepared for this.

From a scientific viewpoint we have prepared for this however it will not work if it does not have the public support. This is where the likes of Corbyn and Piers Morgan are adding a huge amount of risk into the system as they are playing politics and adding unneeded panic.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    I made the same point as the OP nearly 5 years ago:
    https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13030866/join-the-labour-party-and-save-your-country#latest

Leopards and spots :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Stevo_666 said:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13030866/join-the-labour-party-and-save-your-country#latest

The thread where you advocated making him the most important politician in the country outside of the government.
    Bit rich to take any sense of victory from these two contradictory points.
  • Stevo_666
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

The thread where you advocated making him the most important politician in the country outside of the government.
    5 years on and you still don't get it, after how many explanations? The aim was to keep Labour out of power - see first post on the thread ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

5 years on and you still don't get it, after how many explanations? The aim was to keep Labour out of power - see first post on the thread ;)
    5 years on and you just don’t get it.
    Weak opposition is bad for the country.
    Whether or not such behaviour delivered the result is open to debate so that is moot.
    But advocating weak opposition is what you did however you choose to dress it up.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Y
    mr_eddy said:

So we are facing a global economic melt down, people are dying alone away from loved ones and this mini Stalin's only contribution is to to censored about how the Tories have made things worse!

Now I may not agree with Boris or the Tories but the advise is coming from a medical professor and the top scientific advisors in the world, politics in light of all this has f**k all to do with it.

You wonld think that he would use his time in front of camera to reiterate the best advise but no he uses it to moan about tory austerity.

I did not vote tory nor Labour but I accept Boris's advice because I know it has been passed onto him by people in science that have no horse in the political race.

If Corbyn got hit by a bus then I genuinely think the world would be better for it.

Keep safe all

Advise is not interchangeable with advice

You should be less trusting and not place your safety in the hands of Boris.

Boris (and you) act as if this virus landed in the UK from Mars. It did not and has been raging across the world since January. Why do you think last week Boris made a TV appeal for ventilators rather than Jan 24th when he held first COBRA meeting. Likewise why did he not learn from the other countries and understand that the more testing you do the better, this does not take a scientist to figure that out. At the same meeting would have been nice to have thought about sourcing protective gear. Oh and why not have a chat with private health providers and start talking to recent retirees and final year med students.

Advisers are never unanimous and will present a range of scenarios and actions. Boris chose over the weeks to ignore evidence and back his own unique solution. Personally I think his refusal to learn from the countries who have been most successful and to do the opposite is another example of his intrinsic character flaw.

So stop slavishly following some twat because some other twats voted for him to be PM and think for yourself. Yes you, your family and friends are more likely to die because of his actions but you can still tip the odds in your favour.

Rant over
  • Stevo_666
    morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

5 years on and you just don’t get it.
    Weak opposition is bad for the country.
    Whether or not such behaviour delivered the result is open to debate so that is moot.
    But advocating weak opposition is what you did however you choose to dress it up.
    Whatever. I was only posting tongue in cheek.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    oxoman said:

People need to lighten up a bit and listen to the experts and old hasbeens like corbyn and piers should shut it.

Weren’t you calling it nothing worse than the flu and a massive overreaction one and a half weeks ago?
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Corbyn is spot on
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • Why were/are there so few infections and deaths on the Diamond Princess 3700 passengers and crew, central airconditioning and heating, communal eating areas and certinly no social distancing. A week before anyone knew a passenger had boarded already infected and with symptoms. But only 712 people were infected and of those 567 have recovered and 8 died giving a fatality rate for cases with an outcome of 1.4%, there are still 137 with symptoms, 15 in a serious condition. Normally one imagines the majority of passengers on a cruise ship as being mainly 50+ years old and not always in the best of health. Ideal candidates for serious infections. So why so few infections and deaths. At that death rate the UK should be reporting 16650 cases not 5000. Italy 344,000 cases.

So why the difference, my guess under reporting of mild cases in the UK, and all of Europe. The best data is for Diamond Princess, which was the closest to a laboratory experiment as you can get. Data for South Korea are also unusual compared with Europe.

information from worldometers.info
  • morstar

Why were/are there so few infections and deaths on the Diamond Princess 3700 passengers and crew, central airconditioning and heating, communal eating areas and certinly no social distancing. A week before anyone knew a passenger had boarded already infected and with symptoms. But only 712 people were infected and of those 567 have recovered and 8 died giving a fatality rate for cases with an outcome of 1.4%, there are still 137 with symptoms, 15 in a serious condition. Normally one imagines the majority of passengers on a cruise ship as being mainly 50+ years old and not always in the best of health. Ideal candidates for serious infections. So why so few infections and deaths. At that death rate the UK should be reporting 16650 cases not 5000. Italy 344,000 cases.

So why the difference, my guess under reporting of mild cases in the UK, and all of Europe. The best data is for Diamond Princess, which was the closest to a laboratory experiment as you can get. Data for South Korea are also unusual compared with Europe.

information from worldometers.info

Those are useful stats. But rather than posing a question as you frame it, they just confirm that we don’t have accurate numbers due to lack of testing.
    Assuming your maths is correct, we probably do have 16k+ cases. Hopefully a lot more and thereby a better mild infection rate due to a broader population mix.
    At this point I’d rather lots more people have had it with un-noteworthy symptoms than the number of cases be lower but fatality rate higher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    I'd say 1.4% was a high mortality rate considering they presumably had tests for all passengers.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    edited March 2020
    I would still like to see some comparative stats for say the 18/19 winter 'flu. I got hit by that in December 18, forgot to go get the 'flu jab, and at the nadir was harbouring bad thoughts of the 'is this what dyIng feels like?' type. Many oldies and vulnerables died that year. So, context? Always good.

Edit: might have been 17/18 winter but case still applies.
  • morstar
    Similarly, I had a horrific flu in 2010 and genuinely though the game was up. Nothing it like it before or since but it is the memory of that that makes me fear this.
    I hope I am fit and healthy enough to get through but suspect if I were similarly affected, I would require medical intervention due to my asthma. It then becomes a lottery as to what medical provision is available at the point I get it (assuming I do).
    My ill informed understanding is that death rates are not massively higher than a flu but those requiring medical intervention in order to pull through is far higher than a normal flu.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Tbh I’m surprised any of you have heard from Corbyn since I haven’t and I’m fairly engaged.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Tbh I’m surprised any of you have heard from Corbyn since I haven’t and I’m fairly engaged.

It's the modern way, isn't it? People love to go out of their way to hear stuff they don't want to hear.
  • Pross

I heard him being interviewed a few days ago on BBC news. He was basically using lots of words to say nothing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Pross said:

I heard him being interviewed a few days ago on BBC news. He was basically using lots of words to say nothing.
    Politicians would describe that as the perfect interview. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Pross said:

So a lot like Johnson and his waffling then ?
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited March 2020
    He has a lot of people that are loyal to his word.

He should be reinforcing the goverment message of Stay at Home. He could make a huge positive difference but instead is only interested in political point scoring.

Losing him to C19 would be for the greater good of the UK based his latest actions as his acolytes would then get the message.
  • Pross
    fenix said:

Pross said:

So a lot like Johnson and his waffling then ?
    Not really, Johnson is trying to say something but not articulating it well. Corbyn just couldn't bring himself to reiterate the Government message but equally didn't have the balls to disagree or criticise the policy. They literally may as well have not bothered giving him airtime.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

He has a lot of people that are loyal to his word.

He should be reinforcing the goverment message of Stay at Home. He could make a huge positive difference but instead is only interested in political point scoring.

Losing him to C19 would be for the greater good of the UK based his latest actions as his acolytes would then get the message.

That sounds a lot like the "logic" that forms the basis of eugenics.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    My brain put Corbyn on "ignore" in December.