Using Sufferfest with Wahoo Kickr Core

kim10
kim10 Posts: 186
I purchased a Wahoo Kickr Core a little while back and finally got it set up yesterday and have decided to take advantage of the 30 day free trial for Sufferfest, as I have been using Trainerroad in the past and fancied a change.

This is my first smart trainer so not used to the settings. I got it all set-up okay and everything paired, should say that I am using a Windows Laptop with a dongle to get it all connected.

I tried a couple of short training videos to test how things works and the first I left the Sufferfest setting in ERG mode and it kind of worked and was okay, but I didn't like the fact that you are not in much control as it just keeps the required wattage for a given cadence/speed/gear. I like to be able to shift gears a bit more to simulate riding out doors more.

So the second attempt I changed the setting in Sufferfest to level mode and just picked one of the lower levels and this gave me much more control over speed/cadence etc, but I did notice that the trainer was still sometimes trying to control the resistance which made it very difficult to hit the watt's required as if fluctuated up and down a lot. Am I missing something in the settings or is this just how it works??
I have set the Sufferfest setting to power smoothing but this still doesn't seem to help.

I might be asking for something that is not achievable but wondered if anybody else have this set-up or similar that can share your experience and settings.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Unfortunately, the Kickr Core is not able to adjust to the required power outputs as quick as the higher end trainers, so you will get a lot of fluctuation while trying to match the required watts. The whole idea of the workouts is to use ERG mode and not worry about having to use gears, but even like this, you're going to struggle to hit some of the sprint interval targets before the time is up.

You might want to check that The Sufferfest is compatible with your set up, be it Windows and ANT+ or BLE, to not be getting proper control over your trainer. I have no problems with an iPad II and BLE or Windows 10 and a new BLE dongle, but it doesn't seem to like the Windows inbuilt BLE with The Sufferfest.

https://support.thesufferfest.com/hc/en ... th-Devices
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Kim10 wrote:
    I tried a couple of short training videos to test how things works and the first I left the Sufferfest setting in ERG mode and it kind of worked and was okay, but I didn't like the fact that you are not in much control as it just keeps the required wattage for a given cadence/speed/gear.
    That is the whole point of erg mode. The software defines the power target and the trainer makes you hit it so you don't have to think doing anything other than keeping pedalling. It is so much simpler than having to change gear/cadence to try and keep on the power target.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've just bought a core as well to replace my Tacx vortex which couldnt apply realistic slope even at 2-3% and to my surprise the core is worse and not just for slope but holding power using ERG mode, i'm finding power spiking from 180 to 145 when its set to 150 not just little spikes but all the time.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Check with the Sufferfest bods who are quick to answer questions. Wahoo and Sufferfest are joined at the hip now so trainer compatibility shouldn't be an issue. It could though be your set up. ANT+ or BTE or Windows or IOS. I use a 1st gen Neo, IOS with BTE and Sufferfest with no problems. I can get it to work with Windows 10 and ANT+, but not so good with BTE and Windows 10.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    If you want to simulate riding outdoors then doing a structured workout is not the indoor training for you, you want something like road grand tours, rouvy or free rides on zwift.

Workouts require you to hit the power/cadence required for that interval. For which ERG is the best way of doing so (Leave it in one gear that gives the most efficient chain line) and the trainer takes care of the rest.