thursday now only zombies roam the streets

'ning

cafe and wfh, may start doing dawn laps of the park for a bit of exercise to offset the relentless scoffing and swigging
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, cooler this morning, I will be going for a decent ride today, I only hope Boris does not follow the rest of Europe and go into a lockdown stage.
    Have a good day
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Walked dog. Shovelled a half ton of sand out from side of the shed, cut down the weird steel frame that had been badly made but still set into the concrete, and cleaned up the area. Will be firewood storage area for stuff to dry out for next season.

Assuming there is one.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    WFH but so are the kids as their school has closed early with a confirmed case

Going for a muddy run with the hounds for some normality
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    I'm off, kids are going to school, wife doing the drop off as she wants to look around Mark's and sparks on the way home. Mind boggling. If she was chased by a Thursday zombie horde she would stop and gawp at pandora. Probably queue for a ticket.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,475
    Another day of WFH with quite a few calls lined up. Junior has left for her second last day at school wondering what is going to happen with her uni entry later this year as there are now no exams. She had the night off doing any homework last night, unsurprisingly.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Stevo_666 said:

Another day of WFH with quite a few calls lined up. Junior has left for her second last day at school wondering what is going to happen with her uni entry later this year as there are now no exams. She had the night off doing any homework last night, unsurprisingly.

That's a real issue and I don't blame her for being concerned. There's no easy answer to it either.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Zombies and me. I'm going to go for a ride shortly - I figure that I'm not actually going to be in contact with anybody, so I, and the public at large should be OK. No coffee, no cake, just head down riding in the drizzle.
  • Stevo_666
    Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

That's a real issue and I don't blame her for being concerned. There's no easy answer to it either.
    True, it's her future.

We'll just have to see what they announce and deal with it then.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Morning folks,
    Traditional Thursday morning hangover is present. Pub was very quiet last night, only a dozen people including staff. Meant keeping a distance was pretty easy. Still at work and reasonably normal here, backing off on ordering stuff though. All a bit strange.
    Lad coming down from Brum tomorrow by train, he's going to Bobike across town rather than take the tube. He'll drive back next week to finish working on a few joint projects, unless there is more of a lockdown before that. Daughter of a friend seems to have wuflu, she's at uni and self isolating. She's had a sore throat, cough and fever for a few days now, should be coming out the other side soon. He's going to go and get her once she's recovered.
    Daughter actually ramped up on work for photography A level last night as she can get a bit more course work in which may help.
    Drove down H³'s road yesterday, was his place the one with all the rubble out the front? I shouted abuse just in case.
    Need to go to the shop and buy a Mother's day card shortly, hopefully people haven't been panic buying and stockpiling those.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Drove down H³'s road yesterday, was his place the one with all the rubble out the front? I shouted abuse just in case.

Yep - rubble, old fence panels, assorted cr@p. Tons of the stuff. All the posh decking boards have arrived, ready to sit on the brick pilings that the guys have been building. I suppose at least we will have a nice garden to sit and get bored in over sping/early summer.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    Will they go on Mock results for Uni entry?

Me burning tree stumps me after all momentum was lost on Tuesday due to rain.

Must get sausages out.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • darkhairedlord
    There are a few scenarios for entry. I told our honcho to just make those with conditional offers, unconditional. Essentially accepting based upon predicted. Another might be filtering these with an entry test. My money is on january start with a levels taken in october. That way future years have august results and can then look for uni places with results already known. That is what gvmt want anyway.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145

Lad coming down from Brum tomorrow by train, he's going to Bobike across town rather than take the tube.

Are the bikes still available?
    We used the ones in MK ages ago and I had an email off them yesterday saying they were taking them all away.
  • Longshot

Lad coming down from Brum tomorrow by train, he's going to Bobike across town rather than take the tube.

Are the bikes still available?
    We used the ones in MK ages ago and I had an email off them yesterday saying they were taking them all away.
    E Bikes like Jump are still available everywhere I've been today in central London.
  • Longshot
    Also, next time I go out, I'll check to see if there's any Boris bikes.
  • Stevo_666
    edited March 2020

There are a few scenarios for entry. I told our honcho to just make those with conditional offers, unconditional. Essentially accepting based upon predicted. Another might be filtering these with an entry test. My money is on january start with a levels taken in october. That way future years have august results and can then look for uni places with results already known. That is what gvmt want anyway.

Interesting suggestion that one you have your money on DHL.

I thought about whether unis could just make conditional offers unconditional, but then some places might end up being massively oversubscribed. The advantage for us of that is she has good predicted grades so could get in without doing any more work. However I think they may put the next intake back by a term as you say.

Keep us posted...
  • darkhairedlord
    Stevo_666 said:

Interesting suggestion that one you have your money on DHL.

I thought about whether unis could just make conditional offers unconditional, but then some places might end up being massively oversubscribed. The advantage for us of that is she has good predicted grades so could get in without doing any more work. However I think they may put the next intake back by a term as you say.

Keep us posted...
    making conditional turn unconditional will probably work for most institutions but oversubscribed russell group may then thin them out with an entry test. I would expect they may have already done this at the interview, visit, personal statement stage anyway. It's not always about the grades, demonstrating intrinsic interest through the things they do, rather than the things the exam-board and ofsted ask them to do, is much more valuable.
  • Stevo_666
    That would be good - because she's pretty much done all of that (apart from the extra entry test, obviously).
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Evening, dismal weather today, still workbench is mainly done, wood primer is on drying now overnight. Couple of minor cockups but all hideable.
    Tried to Zwift earlier, someone managed to break it lots of 502 errors. went for a run instead.