1st time roller user - tips?

I have been loaned a set of rollers. They are Minoura branded, what appear to be parallel rollers with standups next to the front roller to keep the wheel on.

I've tried once before years ago and it didn't go well. This time I'd like to do better. So, questions:

Where do you set up front roller in relation to the front axle? directly under, just in front or just behind?

Any tips for staying upright and not mincing my legs?

I know there are a myriad of videos on Youtube of 8 year old kids juggling whilst riding rollers but I am a 46 year old man with terrible balance :smile:

Comments

• smethley
    smethley Posts: 45
    Axle of front wheel is behind front roller axle by 'a little bit'.

'standups next to the front roller to keep the wheel on' sounds terrifying and a recipe for disaster in a big way, at least in my experience.

Put the rollers next to something you can hold onto, maybe even in a doorway, while you learn.

You will need speed to balance; no point trying if you're too slow.

You will get used to it. It really never happens as such (because you correct, catch yourself easily), but falling off it not such an issue as it's only the lightweight wheels moving fast, not the whole of your personal mass.

I learnt in my teens and I'm considerably older than you now and can still ride rollers no drama.

PS - It's like riding a bike ... ;)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Much in agreement with the above.

Front wheel very slightly behind the the roller. Personally, I'd have nothing upright to prevent the front wheel running off the edge. It's more likely to cause a fall than prevent it.

I learned by putting the rollers side up against the wall. Bike in the big ring. Get on bike, both feet clipped in and hands on bars, pedal away and lever myself off the wall with the elbow. Look ahead instead of down at the wheel. If you start wandering to the edge use your core to move the bike rather than the bars.

It's all baby steps, so get used to simply getting going, then changing gear, taking a hand off the bars, moving your hands about on the bars and then taking a bottle from the cage or grabbing a towel to wipe the sweat off. Eventually you'll be trying no hands and fall off in a heap.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    It's wise to set them up in a hallway the first time you use them, so you can easily lean / reach out on both sides if you wobble.

You will quickly find your balance and get comfortable on them. Just relax but make sure you stay focused otherwise you may take a flight :D
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    redvision said:

It's wise to set them up in a hallway the first time you use them, so you can easily lean / reach out on both sides if you wobble.

You will quickly find your balance and get comfortable on them. Just relax but make sure you stay focused otherwise you may take a flight :D

I second using a hallway, but not at the top of the stairs. Its easier to ride rollers no handed as you are naturally balancing with your body rather than trying to counter steer.