Halfords to close Cycle Republic

js14
js14 Posts: 198
Halfords are proposing to close their Cycle Republic shops, according to news reports. Halfords will concentrate their enthusiast cycling efforts on Tredz, which is a mainly online retailer.

Mind you, I was unaware that Tredz was part of the Halford Group. I don't know what this will mean for the Boardman brand, it's not mentioned in the reports.

Comments

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696
    oxoman said:

I didn't know tredz was part of halfords either, thought I knew a bit. Obviously not.

Tredz is a trading name of Performance Cycling Ltd. At least that’s what the website states. Another part of Performance Cycling Ltd is Wheelies – so is Wheelies part of the same group as Halfords?
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    edited March 2020
    Wheelies as well. From the annual report 2019 "All references to Retail represent the consolidation of the Halfords (“Halfords Retail”) and Cycle Republic businesses, Boardman Bikes Limited and Boardman International Limited (together, “Boardman Bikes”), and Performance Cycling Limited (together, “Tredz and Wheelies”) trading entities. All references to Group represent the consolidation of the Retail and Autocentres segments."
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,578
    Halfords are letting the Boardman Perf. Centre go. I think they are trying to find a new owner.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Does anyone know whether Halfords will honour warranties for bikes sold by Cycle Republic? Literally about to buy a bike from Cycle Republic and wondered what people thought\know (and yes I will ask Cycle Republic but unsure whether I'll get an unbiased answer or whether a positive answer is actually worth anything)
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

Does anyone know whether Halfords will honour warranties for bikes sold by Cycle Republic? Literally about to buy a bike from Cycle Republic and wondered what people thought\know (and yes I will ask Cycle Republic but unsure whether I'll get an unbiased answer or whether a positive answer is actually worth anything)

On the basis that Halfords may not even still be in business in six months time you are right in that any assurances provided may be worth FA.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Anyone with vouchers for anything, anywhere should using them. Now!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    From what I've read the halfords stores are safe, it is only the high street cycle stores they are shutting - apparently moving operations online.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    redvision said:

From what I've read the halfords stores are safe, it is only the high street cycle stores they are shutting - apparently moving operations online.

Was that from before Covid19 hit? I'm not suggesting that Halfords were at risk before the current issues but just about every retailer is now.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,696

source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cr07g9zzvn9t/halfords

They need to something to change this
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    that reminds me, iv'e still got a £30 refund from a C2W voucher that I need to spend... think it'll be on some pedals.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...