Will you continue cycling as normal during coronavirus?

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited March 2020 in Road general
As lockdowns and the European model seem to be what the government may consider in future will they take the same approach to exercise ie: in Mallorca no cycling or running is allowed only individuals exercising their dogs approved. Seeing pro cyclist Harry tanfields recent strava feed about "dodging the feds" on mainland Spain and a potential €3k fine I was wondering hundreds of thousands of relatively fit people would cope with being told to stay indoors if it came to that. I also struggle to see the benefits to the fight against coronavirus from stopping individuals exercising?
Hopefully sense will prevail
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    Buy your shares in Tacx now!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,611
    Panic buying of turbos has already started...
  • bianchimoon
    edited March 2020
    Was hoping I'd finished on Zwift for the year, must admit I'd struggle on a spring day to be under house arrest!. Could you imagine writing this a few weeks ago. Already cancelled Mallorca jaunt, so be it, but the thought of not going for a ride, ouch!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Could be. I hear that you are not allowed out of the house in Spain for a run, so probably not allowed to go for a ride either.
    Would similar draconian measures be applied here? Who knows.....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I believe it will be. Makes no sense to me but it's the only way to guarantee a cracking summer. Which itself will help.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    mrb123 said:

Panic buying of turbos has already started...

Bought one this morning from Aldi, need to keep my legs spinning.
  • bianchimoon
    edited March 2020
    oxoman said:

The old bill couldn't catch a cold so wont catch anyone on a bike or running, especially when my shift starts.Might have to post all my strava stuff as private for a bit so they cant get me that way. :D

:D re private posting was thinking the same, if pulled up, could always Say I'm on my way to or from work, hmm, wonder if it's ok to travel by bike for business?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,507
    I have a friend living near Alicante, from what I can gather, the logic behind banning cycling is to avoid unnecessary risk of injuries which would take vital healthcare resources.

They're only allowed to leave the house to buy food/medicine, go to work or to visit sick/vulnerable friends and relatives - presumably you could use a bicycle as a mode of transport to do that but no leisure rides.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Spanish hairdressers still open so you could be on your way for a haircut. It's not your fault if your favourite barber is 30 miles away.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Boris made specific reference to exercise in his conference so sounds like cycling isn't going to be affected at this time.

I imagine club runs and gyms may become discouraged/ restricted very soon though, as social segregation widens.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    monkimark said:

I have a friend living near Alicante, from what I can gather, the logic behind banning cycling is to avoid unnecessary risk of injuries which would take vital healthcare resources.

They're only allowed to leave the house to buy food/medicine, go to work or to visit sick/vulnerable friends and relatives - presumably you could use a bicycle as a mode of transport to do that but no leisure rides.

We can also go and buy cigarettes :s and stationery, hairdressers are considered essential for older and infirm people who need them for hygiene reasons.

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    oxoman said:

The old bill couldn't catch a cold so wont catch anyone on a bike or running, especially when my shift starts.Might have to post all my strava stuff as private for a bit so they cant get me that way. :D

Want to bet? I nerfed off one or two errant cyclists in my day without injuring them. And with nothing else to do thanks to a mythical lockdown, you'd be swamped in minutes.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    redvision said:

Boris made specific reference to exercise in his conference so sounds like cycling isn't going to be affected at this time.

I imagine club runs and gyms may become discouraged/ restricted very soon though, as social segregation widens.

Selfishly, I breathed a massive sign of relief when exercise was specifically mentioned as an exception.

I think it would make sense to stop group rides however, riding in the slipstream of someone who is panting and spluttering (or even just breathing) has to be a recipe for transmission.

The exception for exercise specifically applies right now to people who are self-isolating due to symptoms - no way of knowing what the rules will be if we are all asked to self-isolate.

No rational reason to stop people running or cycling on their own, other than mitigating stress on the health service from injury. But are you also going to ban people who are staying at home from doing DIY and falling off ladders..?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    neeb said:

No rational reason to stop people running or cycling on their own, other than mitigating stress on the health service from injury. But are you also going to ban people who are staying at home from doing DIY and falling off ladders..?

Most accidents happen in the home its a statistically backed fact, apparently more than 2million children each year have accidents that require a visit to A&E, 76,000 require hospital admissions. The most dangerous room in the house,is the living room.

But I fear rational reasons have long fled the building at this point
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    All sport in groups is being banned in France but you will still be able to run or cycle by yourself. I guess that even cycling in a peloton of two won't be allowed. At this rate the Tour de France will be in danger.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    You won't see a TDF this year js14.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited March 2020
    The bicycle is how I get to work and back. Cycling is transport for me not just sport. If the government wants to ban me from riding a bike then they can also pay me my monthly wage.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • js14 said:

All sport in groups is being banned in France but you will still be able to run or cycle by yourself. I guess that even cycling in a peloton of two won't be allowed. At this rate the Tour de France will be in danger.

Wait and see, TDF 2020 will be all ITT stages. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bianchimoon
    Totally agree, contagion or injury requiring use of medical services through normal cycling is highly unlikely, as people have said staying home and doing DIY, more likely to cause minor injuries requiring a hospital visit. Keep calm, keep cycling.

The bicycle is how I get to work and back. Cycling is transport for me not just sport. If the government wants to ban me from riding a bike then they can also pay me my monthly wage.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Not to mention dangers of driving - given that most serious cycle injuries involve a car.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,415
    mrfpb said:

Not to mention dangers of driving - given that most serious cycle injuries involve a car.

As people are avoiding public transport I have seen a big increase in local traffic the last few days - maybe making my cycle commute more hazardous? I don't know. Traffic is slower due to increase so maybe not?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282

mrfpb said:

As people are avoiding public transport I have seen a big increase in local traffic the last few days - maybe making my cycle commute more hazardous? I don't know. Traffic is slower due to increase so maybe not?
    Noticeably less traffic around the southern section of the M25 this morning.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    edited March 2020
    We need a new Gordie meme gif...

Out before the lock!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Interesting thread and I had this chat with my partner yesterday who is also a cyclist.

I agree with all the above about individual cyclists not posing an increased risk. And with minimal traffic on the road the risk of cycling is even lower. The story of a pro being shouted at for 'breaking curfew' by someone overtaking in a car is mind-blowing. Who is posing the larger risk in that scenario?!

However, I am trying to see it from the other side and I guess it's about normality and trying to increase conformity to the restrictions. It's a sliding slope, and the more people act and see others acting 'normally' the more likely they are to give themselves leeway to do other things which are potentially harmful, such as social gatherings, ec....

After the discussion, we realised she didn't accept my point because she has a higher opinion of the intelligence of the average person than I do. After all, why would people give themselves leeway if it puts themselves at harm, yet i recon people do.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141

Wait and see, TDF 2020 will be all ITT stages. ;)

CTT in the UK have banned ITTs for the time being...

Yeah I'll still be out cycling as and when I can just to stay sane.
    Most of my riding these days is to and from work though so if we're all WFH it's going to difficult trying to change from the same routine I've had all my working life even if it potentially offers more cycling opportunities.

• I was nearly knocked of my bike riding home tonight by someone not looking as they pulled out of a junction. Fortunately I was looking and sewerved.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Yes I'm planning on keeping riding my bike and if that is banned I'll go running - if that is banned I'll go running with one of my dogs - if that is banned I'll just go running anyway there's a big park 100 metres from my house. I don't think I'd defy a ban on bike riding because you are likely to get caught and I wouldn't put it past some motorist to take the law into their own hands.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717

I was nearly knocked of my bike riding home tonight by someone not looking as they pulled out of a junction. Fortunately I was looking and sewerved.

That scenario could just as well been two cars.
    There is no justification for banning cycling unless car driving is banned too.
    That said, both could well happen soon.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Definitely, since Monday there seems to be less traffic on the roads
  • I went for a ride on Monday, and over the course of about 4 hours I don't think I got closer than 50 feet to another person. For some stretches there probably wasn't anyone else within half a mile.