monday oops, someone has opened the first seal

'ning

another early one, soon coffee, i expect there shall be bubbly, standards must be maintained
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, quite a nice start to the day tigger walked,I think a bike ride is in order this morning, then some gardening later,
    Have a good week
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Nice long walk with the hounds as I’m WFH
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Not working from home, but nice ride to the office instead on a bike with working gears for a change.
    Intending to go to the gym later but if it stays sunny I'll just keep riding outside instead.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    University fucking their communications, SLT are a special bunch.

Well off to work, see what the damage is, see what can be salavaged. May just take to eating cookies and biscuits

Positive side, DI2 was a dream yesterday, Hound has been walked and doesn't hate me.

Enjoy the day everyone
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Train was about 30% quieter than usual but, kindly, SWR only put on 8 carriages instead of twelve to maintain that comforting feeling of crush.

Am now OIC Covid at work in all aspects except deciding we can all go home and work there instead.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    airport eerily quiet first thing

heading back now, doing my best to keep airline and the economy afloat, awaiting bubbly

wishing all of us an extremely mild infection, especially the vulnerable, and a swift return to normality
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,977
    Nothing to report here, spent the weekend socializing and am regretting it today.

The world continues to turn however our cleaner hasn't turned in today as a text I sent stating she, and I quote "should get a grip" didn't land very well.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sungod

Nothing to report here, spent the weekend socializing and am regretting it today.

The world continues to turn however our cleaner hasn't turned in today as a text I sent stating she, and I quote "should get a grip" didn't land very well.

you capitalist oppressor!

:smiley:
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Physio this morning to be treated like a pin-cushion... 12 needles in neck and shoulders all jiggled about - "does that hurt?". :#

Turned into a glorious autumn afternoon so I slumped on the sun lounge instead of any further exertions.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Today i'll be doing mostly inexplicable things according to the cat. Though most human activities, whilst providing cursory and transient curiosity to a cat, are inexplicable.

Supermarket shelves were bereft of much frozen and tinned foodstuffs. Ironically, the fresh fruit and veg stocks were excellent - the very stuff you'd need should you become ill.

There's rumours that schools may shut for... wait for it: 4 months.
    On the one hand, it means we can self isolate for the duration and i'm reducing contraction to nil but on the other, we'll have to somehow entertain toots 1 and 2. I foresee home education for a couple of hours each day plus beach and forest walks.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    pinno said:

There's rumours that schools may shut for... wait for it: 4 months.
    On the one hand, it means we can self isolate for the duration and i'm reducing contraction to nil but on the other, we'll have to somehow entertain toots 1 and 2. I foresee home education for a couple of hours each day plus beach and forest walks.

My wife, a primary school teacher, was discussing the fact she thought they may add a week onto the Easter holidays by shutting the schools down. I disagreed and pointed out what they were doing in Ireland, etc over school closures and that perhaps the Summer term would be cancelled. Who knows?

However, if they do shut long term, what are they going to do about major exams that are due over the next few months?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    First day of what is likely to be a long period of working from home and have my nice little spare room upstairs to hide in. Have advised all minions to do the same and are putting plans in place to deal with stuff remotely wherever possible.

Re: schools, yep this is the big question for my kid and all of her mates who have A-levels starting in late May.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    edited March 2020
    Double post - doh.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    Bloke in the shop knows someone who is related to someone who has a friend in London who came to work only to find their access pass cancelled and was told to work at home :/

Plenty of old people about in town shuffling around as usual but apparently none of them are going into the shops.
    Quite a few kids out as well but I'm not aware of any schools closing locally so either they've been excluded for something or their parents have kept them away from school but are letting them mingle with the unwashed.

Currently trying to decipher the world's worst contract which someone's signed us up to - full of typos, makes no sense and is in a silly font in different colours.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    The world really has gone mad. Just went to buy my lunches for the week at the big Sainsbury's down the road, not stockpiling just how I buy my lunches every week. It's like a plague of locusts have been through the place.
    Sounds like a good weekend HD, I've been tying not to tell people to get a f@ckin grip in quite those words. But I might have slipped up more than once. the problem is the panic is catching and is now affecting normally sane people.
    Nice ride to work in the sunshine, clearly no wfh for me. Not yet at any rate.
    If someone sent me a contract in different colours and full of typos I don't think I'd want to sign it.
    Onwards and upwards...
  • sungod
    edited March 2020
    yep, with you there

the lessons of sars etc. were not applied, almost all governments were way too late to act, uk certainly was, now they're taking individual uncoordinated measures to try and recover and to give the appearance that they are in control, they're not, the horses bolted weeks ago

my concern is the objective of the uk plan seems to be 'flatten the peak', is that objectve net best for society? or is it best for the government's damage control? those are very different things

for instance, the government doesn't think funding certain cancer treatments is a good deal, but those people die without inconvenient headlines or embarrassing images of overloaded hospitals, the government judges their lives not worth the cost

what cost calculation was done for the plan? i'd love to see it

because the plan clearly risks the side effect of severe economic damage, businesses are going to fail, people will lose jobs, homes, life savings, their physical and mental health will suffer, maybe some will commit suicide

banks will wring their hands and weep as they repossess and bankrupt, ever so reluctantly you understand, but they have no choice

i say all it will do is slow the inevitable

humans have no immunity other than by getting infected and fighting it off, there's no apparent treatment beyond supportive care, a vaccine is way off

many will die, even with the best known care many will die

is the plan the right one? what alternatives were looked at?

south korea has done getting on for a quarter of a million tests, our experts were bragging about maybe 12% of that, a lack of knowledge of prevalence that seems to explain the rapid shift in the story after just a few days

they were caught by surprise, and it's their plan

as usual, johnson spouted platitudes and waffle, he looked like a rabbit in the headlights

sweet dreams
  • tlw1
    I’ve been to the supermarket to stockpile ale, there was very little food there I realised as we walked out
  • sungod
    oh yes, absolutely, that's why i led with "almost all governments were way too late to act", it's a global screw up

but the uk is the one i pay for, so i'm entitled to judge it's performance :smiley:

• sungod
    i stockpiled port, and i'm now going to drink some

chin chin
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Not going to write essays on this topic, because I'll repeat what has been said before. However, I refuse to like, i refuse to endorse it, but I agreed with a Piers Morgan tweet earlier.

Going go drown my sorrows.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    oxoman said:

I give up, i'm going to become a politician and try and instil some common sense into people. Shut schools for 3 months, the kids will be rioting in the streets just for something to do. Lessons need to be taught properly, exams need to be taken and people need to work, eat etc. Everyone stuck at home under house arrest, nah can't see it myself. Sadly its a nasty virus that we need to build natural immunity to, not some magic pill. We live in to clean an environment at times and we've become susceptible to anything and everything. We need to suck it up get on with our live and look after those that cant. Unfortunately the world cannot be run from home all the time. Rant over. :* PS toilet rolls £10 each price will be going up quickly. Sadly the corona beer virus has been overtake by the dumaspigshite virus by about 100 to 1. ;)

Should be made a sticky for the bed wetters in Cake Stop.

• ballysmate
    tlw1 said:

I’ve been to the supermarket to stockpile ale, there was very little food there I realised as we walked out

You were lucky to get ale.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Flâneur said:

Not going to write essays on this topic, because I'll repeat what has been said before. However, I refuse to like, i refuse to endorse it, but I agreed with a Piers Morgan tweet earlier.

Going go drown my sorrows.

These truly are the end of days if people start agreeing with stuff that Piers Morgan writes
  • ballysmate
    What did he write?
  • tlw1

tlw1 said:

You were lucky to get ale.
    And good ale too
  • thistle_
    tlw1 said:

Aldi had run out of screwdriver bit sets when I went earlier :astonished:

Seriously though, people were still trying to stockpile whatever they could get hold of and the poor checkout staff were having to tell them to fark off and put back the 15 bags of frozen chips they were trying to buy.
  • thistle_
    edited March 2020
    sungod said:

i stockpiled port, and i'm now going to drink some

chin chin

I don't think it's strong enough to use as disinfectant so drinking it is probably the best course of action.
  • ballysmate
    Suggested to the missus that we buy a big fcuk off telly for when we have to self isolate.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

Suggested to the missus that we buy a big fcuk off telly for when we have to self isolate.

Get a sonos beam soundbar too. I just bought 2 tellies, one just sub "council house" for the front room, the other propah full sized and on a wall in the new family room. They both have the sonos beam. Lovely speaker. Super easy to set up. Easy to wall mount (you don't need the official sonos mount). You can even listen to the wireless if you're not watching telly.

Here endeth the isolation lesson.

Do crosswords too...
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Oh, and you ain't seen me, roight?