Shimano 9100P Crankset (Powermeter)

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,579
edited March 2020 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

I am currently planning and plotting my next bike, and will want to ride with power.

I have spotted a 9100P in my crank length and with the right cogs down from £1500 to a more reasonable £725.
I'm tempted to buy it, and stash it until I am ready for the build.

I had never really looked into these before, but have been doing some research.

Does anyone on here have one, and if so how do you find it?

Couple of things that stood out for me:
- The rechargable battery is built in and cannot be changed - what happens when it ceases to hold charge?
- A couple of reviews I saw said that L/R balance was out of kilter, though overall power was not.
- The charge port cover looks a bit weedy, has anyone had it break off?
- Shimano bought Pioneer's cycling division earlier this year, does that signify this 9100P technologies days are numbered and I might be buying an outdated obsolete piece of tech?

I appreciate it would still be a top quality crankset, but I don't really want to waste an extra £500 is all.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Don't! For the love of God don't!

Read dcrainmakers review. He describes it as the worst power meter on the market!
  • daniel_b
    Bugger, was just watching gp lamas left / right issue thing.

Guess that's why it is reduced so much :#
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2020
    Looking at SRAM Red options for a double, but the closest combo to what I would want is a fairly weird 50\37........

I generally like a 52\36, or a 53\36, with perhaps a 50\34 for more climbing, but a 50/37 appears to be a compromise period.

Although I am guessing that is because it is designed for the SRAM 12 spd, which has a 10t cog on the rear?
    Looks like I could get the 50\37 for circa £580, but then I would be committed to SRAM.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    daniel_b said:

Looking at SRAM Red options for a double, but the closest combo to what I would want is a fairly weird 50\37........

I generally like a 52\36, or a 53\36, with perhaps a 50\34 for more climbing, but a 50/37 appears to be a compromise period.

Although I am guessing that is because it is designed for the SRAM 12 spd, which has a 10t cog on the rear?
    Looks like I could get the 50\37 for circa £580, but then I would be committed to SRAM.

I doubt that would include a power meter for £580. For a Red crankset with a Quarq, I'd guess you're looking at a few hundred more, and any AXS crankset will tie you in to using AXS gearing, which it doesn't sound like you're committed to at this point.

If you want a spider based PM and don't want AXS gearing, I'd be tempted to look at a Force 22 GXP crankset and a Power2Max NG Eco PM, which replaces the spider on the Force crank. To be honest though, I would opt for pedals or a Stages/4iiii/whatever else left only PM for whichever cranks you choose to run, unless there's a good reason not to go for those options.
  • daniel_b
    It's £720, down from over 1K, but I can add BC discount, and then 10% discount through my work, which would take it down to £583 or thereabouts:
    https://evanscycles.com/sram-red-quarq-road-dub-powermeter-double-chainset-50-37-EV361112

I already have two pairs of Garmin Vector 2 pedals, one has been pretty much trouble free, the other one is not as reliable.
    I also have a pair of kickstarter IQ2 road pedals that are theoretically due to be delivered any week \ month, but no idea how good or bad they will end up being.

The reason I was looking at crank based, is that I thought it would be slightly lighter, and is this would be for my dream bike for thenext 15 years or so, thought it would probably make the most sense - plus if I make this choice at the beginning, it offsets the cost of the chainset a bit.

I know this is apples and pears, but I have Sram Hyd Rival on a Synapse, and it's ok, but I don't 'love' it if that makes sense.
    Pretty much every etap review I have read is glowing though, so as I say, may well be totally irrelevant.

I have considered stages, and 4iiiiii, but they all seem to have a reasonable amount of reliability issues, which is why the 9100P on the face of it appealed so much.
    Combined with the fact the 9100 groupst is the nicest I have ever used, at least with rim brakes.

I'll have a look at those other options you listed above, but as you say, maybe a crank or pedal solution will be the way to go.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

It's £720, down from over 1K, but I can add BC discount, and then 10% discount through my work, which would take it down to £583 or thereabouts:
    https://evanscycles.com/sram-red-quarq-road-dub-powermeter-double-chainset-50-37-EV361112

I can't comment on the power meters, but I don't think that you will get the 10% BC discount on the power meter at Evans. They changed their T&C's so it's only 10% off of RRP & have excluded power meters. Just in case that helps you to make your decision.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Roastie, never used to be the case, has to be the Mike Ashley effect :#
    Makes it completely meaningless now - shame.
    As is the CRC one, used to be 10% off, now just £10 off and has to be over £150 spend.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Ultegra chainset + Left Ultegra Stages?
    Stages works flawlessly and power figures seem very reproducible
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b

Ultegra chainset + Left Ultegra Stages?
    Stages works flawlessly and power figures seem very reproducible

Certainly an option Ugo, though I had heard not too positive things about Stages in the past, but think they are up to Gen 3 now so perhaps a few bits ironed out.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I would still advise you to go favero, but if you're dead set on a crank pm, look at 4iiii left sided crank. Far more reliable than stages.

probikekit have refurbished units, with full 4iiii warranty, from £210!

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/brands/4iiii.list