Kona Honzo vs Trek Pro-caliber 8

Hi,

First time poster looking to buy my first mountain bike in years.

Can anyone give me a nudge on which of the below to go for? Or should I be looking at something else? Will be a mix of cross country and trail riding.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15910019/kona-honzo-15910019

https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-procaliber-8-2019-mountain-bike-EV340643

Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,701
    Both look good. The Trek probably has a slightly better spec (especially the drivetrain), but it is quite a racy XC bike. That's not to say you can't ride techy or jumpy trails on it, but the Kona should be a bit better for that, with a slightly longer fork and a dropper out of the box.
  • jlwhitworth1
    jlwhitworth1 Posts: 5
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. I’m really unsure on which to go for, I’m a complete beginner if I’m honest as I’ve not been on a mountain bike for years.

If you were to pick which would you suggest?

Or Are there any other bikes at this price point I should be looking at?

What about any 27.5+? A few people have recommended the likes of the trek roscoe 7 as a good first bike that would be a more subtle ride and give a bit more confidence due to the plus sized tyres. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The Merlin Malt+ is on offer. Very similar geo to the Trek but better forks.

The 2019 Giant Fathom 1 is a good deal from Paul's Cycles. Decent forks and a dropper post as standard.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks for the response JBA!

As a beginner what setup would you suggest between a 29er and 27.5+?

And which of the 4 bikes would you go for?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I don't think it really matters which wheel/tyre size you go for as a beginner. You will quickly get used to whichever size you go for.

Of the four bikes I'd go for the Giant Fathom 1. It has decent kit, isn't too racy, isn't hardcore long, low and slack, has decent forks and decent tyres.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 220
    A mate of mine bough the Honzo and is very happy with it. Everything you really need including a dropper. I think thats the way I would go.
  • edward.s said:

A mate of mine bough the Honzo and is very happy with it. Everything you really need including a dropper. I think thats the way I would go.

The Honzo was the one I originally set my eye on and it’s literally grown from there.

The only reason I didn’t buy it as I had a couple of recommendations to go for a 27.5 + due to being a better ride, providing more grip and being more confidence inspiring.

I really don’t have a clue of which to go for haha