The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215

Pross said:

morstar said:

Wow.
    Although more importantly, I have toilet rolls and paracetamol from the corner shop. I can now die with a clean censored and no headache.
    Crazy times. China had the authoritarian advantage of an aggressive shutdown but have come out the other side quite quickly. Will be interesting to see the contrast to the rest of the world. I’m assuming months.
    It will be interesting how it develops. Supposing in 6-10 weeks or so and a fair chunk of people have had the virus and are back to everyday life, do we just get back to normal or do we have a two tier society of people avoiding it and those who have had it.

Boris’s idea needs 60 of the population to have got it and survived, then the rate of spread will be less than one in two and will die out.

Singapore is a lot less authoritarian than China and seem to have handled it very well.

If Boris has miscalculated the rate of contagion or his ability to control it then we will be properly fooked.

There is an argument for trying to catch it early whilst the NHS still has the resources to help you.
    I'm pretty sure it's not Boris's idea.
    I didn’t say it was his idea. Irrespective of whose idea it is his decision to go against the collective decision of the rest of the world. If it was not our physical and financial welfare on the line then you would have to admire his cojones.
    You said:

"Boris’s idea needs 60 of the population to have got it and survived, then the rate of spread will be less than one in two and will die out."

So you literally said it was his idea. You then went on to say he "if Boris has miscalculated".
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Pross said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

Wow.
    Although more importantly, I have toilet rolls and paracetamol from the corner shop. I can now die with a clean censored and no headache.
    Crazy times. China had the authoritarian advantage of an aggressive shutdown but have come out the other side quite quickly. Will be interesting to see the contrast to the rest of the world. I’m assuming months.
    It will be interesting how it develops. Supposing in 6-10 weeks or so and a fair chunk of people have had the virus and are back to everyday life, do we just get back to normal or do we have a two tier society of people avoiding it and those who have had it.

Boris’s idea needs 60 of the population to have got it and survived, then the rate of spread will be less than one in two and will die out.

Singapore is a lot less authoritarian than China and seem to have handled it very well.

If Boris has miscalculated the rate of contagion or his ability to control it then we will be properly fooked.

There is an argument for trying to catch it early whilst the NHS still has the resources to help you.
    I'm pretty sure it's not Boris's idea.
    I didn’t say it was his idea. Irrespective of whose idea it is his decision to go against the collective decision of the rest of the world. If it was not our physical and financial welfare on the line then you would have to admire his cojones.
    You said:

"Boris’s idea needs 60 of the population to have got it and survived, then the rate of spread will be less than one in two and will die out."

So you literally said it was his idea. You then went on to say he "if Boris has miscalculated".
    Is it not obvious what I mean, or do I really need to spell it out by writing “for the idea that Boris has adopted to work it...”?

Or I could think that Boris sat on his own in a darkened room and come up with it on his own.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687

mrfpb said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Out in the USA working at the moment. Feels like the response has gone from 0 to 60 in no time at all...

I expect as you probably know Trump is about to give a speech, talk of issuing a state of emergency to release funds.
    I'm wickedly hoping he'll announce he has it, after the visit from the Brazilians.
    Ha, nah he sounds great, greater than any other president in the world. Fifty bill on tap now. He seems to be sniffing a bit, ominous!

My suspicion is that the US is in heading towards a catastrophe, as it seems they've been deliberately restricting testing to keep figures low, and the costs of testing will have added to the effect. I reckon give it a fortnight, and it's going to be a shîtstorm. Trump's shaken hands with more than one person who's been tested positive... not that I'd hope for anyone to become ill, you understand...
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    mrb123 said:

BBC News - Coronavirus: Why is the UK not shutting schools like other countries?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51874084

is it worth pointing out actually Belgium hasnt shut the schools, they are still open as childcare centres, they are just not teaching lessons in this period, apparently because the flemish disagred with the french, as per normal, about a full shutdown
  • Pross
    The latest event to be affected is the release of my movie debut.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Extraordinary thread on the misinformation spreading in WhatsApp groups in Ireland

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Apparently there are plans for over 70s to be asked to self isolate within the next few weeks. This is from my other half who works in public health.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

Apparently there are plans for over 70s to be asked to self isolate within the next few weeks. This is from my other half who works in public health.

Solves the pension and care problems at a stoke.
    Should you wish to be mischievous.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog said:

Jeremy.89 said:

There's lots of different strains of flu though.

yup.

and it's possible that corona will yet mutate into something more virulent and lethal
    And it equally could have a less lethal mutation.

I have no idea on the odds of either happening.

I suspect a lot of the early UK testing was to confirm that the virus is not mutating as it spreads around the UK so they know what they are dealing with.
  • mrfpb said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Out in the USA working at the moment. Feels like the response has gone from 0 to 60 in no time at all...

I expect as you probably know Trump is about to give a speech, talk of issuing a state of emergency to release funds.
    I'm wickedly hoping he'll announce he has it, after the visit from the Brazilians.
    Ha, nah he sounds great, greater than any other president in the world. Fifty bill on tap now. He seems to be sniffing a bit, ominous!

My suspicion is that the US is in heading towards a catastrophe, as it seems they've been deliberately restricting testing to keep figures low, and the costs of testing will have added to the effect. I reckon give it a fortnight, and it's going to be a shîtstorm. Trump's shaken hands with more than one person who's been tested positive... not that I'd hope for anyone to become ill, you understand...
    The US are still playing politics on both sides over this. We'll know when it gets properly serious for them when both sides stop this.

Their messaging currently seems to around testing to keep the confidence in the public. Unfortunately they still have a long way to go :(
  • surrey_commuter

mrfpb said:

Jeremy.89 said:

I don’t get why you think the USA or heading for a catastrophe and we aren’t despite our current policy of letting it run. The only difference seems to be us claiming it is a deliberate policy.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Something I can’t figure out is why the reported number of recovered cases in the UK hasn’t changed from 18 since 5th March. That makes no sense to me. Also, France hasn’t reported one since 29th Feb, which is also strange, especially when compared to Germany who listed 7 on 11th March and 21 yesterday plus others in early March. Is there a huge delay between the individual feeling they have recovered to the medics officially signing them off as having unequivocally recovered, or are the health authorities just not bothered with reporting recoveries (or consciously not doing it)?

All stats from the worldometers site.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,130

mrfpb said:

Jeremy.89 said:

I don’t get why you think the USA or heading for a catastrophe and we aren’t despite our current policy of letting it run. The only difference seems to be us claiming it is a deliberate policy.
    Can anyone pick holes in this? Unfortunately I can't.

The only difference is our health care system.
  • kingstongraham
    Restaurant bookings on OpenTable year on year. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRbPuAyJy74UmbF6kLXFGXDk2eX3N6zvRLzxPamG8FAA3E-SVqMOMSIht-eYEF_4qrNGOJuPbDjTsPD/pubhtml#

UK down 29%, West coast USA cities down about 50%
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Listening to a minister being interviewed on the BBC just now and feeling much relieved. 🤬
    Apparently they have found the doctors and nurses tree which was hiding just round the corner from the money tree.
    Also, as care homes will struggle to cope then relatives are to visit and help out. 🤔😱🤬
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter

Something I can’t figure out is why the reported number of recovered cases in the UK hasn’t changed from 18 since 5th March. That makes no sense to me. Also, France hasn’t reported one since 29th Feb, which is also strange, especially when compared to Germany who listed 7 on 11th March and 21 yesterday plus others in early March. Is there a huge delay between the individual feeling they have recovered to the medics officially signing them off as having unequivocally recovered, or are the health authorities just not bothered with reporting recoveries (or consciously not doing it)?

All stats from the worldometers site.

I read somewhere that suspected minor cases are not being tested, this will keep the numbers down but will impact recoveries and a proper analysis of the true picture.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718

capt_slog said:

Jeremy.89 said:

There's lots of different strains of flu though.

yup.

and it's possible that corona will yet mutate into something more virulent and lethal
    And it equally could have a less lethal mutation.

I have no idea on the odds of either happening.

I suspect a lot of the early UK testing was to confirm that the virus is not mutating as it spreads around the UK so they know what they are dealing with.
    Isn't that the or at least a theory for Spanish flu disappearing - it mutated into a less serious version which then had an evolutionary advantage over the more lethal one.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • surrey_commuter

mrfpb said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Not so different in terms of doctors and hospital beds per capita. Though we are a lot closer to them than other European countries.

Fortunately the NHS has a far better PR team.
  • kingstongraham

mrfpb said:

Jeremy.89 said:

Not so different in terms of doctors and hospital beds per capita. Though we are a lot closer to them than other European countries.

Fortunately the NHS has a far better PR team.
    But if you can get a bed, you don't have to choose between dying or going bankrupt like with the 30 million uninsured Americans.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Have there been any protests in Hong Kong lately? I've not heard of anything. All very convenient for Beijing.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Pross
    mr_goo said:

Have there been any protests in Hong Kong lately? I've not heard of anything. All very convenient for Beijing.

Ah, a tinfoil hat conspiracy I first heard weeks ago and wondered who would be the first to come up with it on here. I'd expected Coopster or maybe a return of Manc33
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited March 2020
    Worth reading this thread summary of the UK strategy

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1238518371651649538.html
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    P

The various sports authorities cancelling large scale events seems to have knocked out a central plank of the strategy. Lots of businesses really not doing their bit to accelerate the spread.

If they find they can not control the spread then it is going to go down as one of the dumbest decisions in history.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Pross said:

mr_goo said:

Ah, a tinfoil hat conspiracy I first heard weeks ago and wondered who would be the first to come up with it on here. I'd expected Coopster or maybe a return of Manc33
    Sorry to disappoint.
    I'm not of the conspiracy theory but do think it's massively convenient for Xi Jinping and his cohorts.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    mr_goo said:

Pross said:

mr_goo said:

Sorry to disappoint.
    I'm not of the conspiracy theory but do think it's massively convenient for Xi Jinping and his cohorts.
    That's akin to me saying I think it's massively convenient for Andrex and their bog roll cohorts. What are you going on about?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited March 2020
    THEY'VE SHUT ALL THE BARS IN VERBIER TOO!!!!!

SHOOT JUST GOT REAL, YO!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited March 2020

The closing statement is fantastic.

“ Most encouraging, it's way too clever for #BorisJohnson to have had any role in developing. ”
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    edited March 2020

mrfpb said:

Jeremy.89 said:

If Trump doesn’t get it, is it proof that there is no god, or that god is punishing us?
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    ddraver said:

THEY'VE SHUT ALL THE BARS IN VERBIER TOO!!!!!

SHOOT JUST GOT REAL, YO!!

Have they not closed the resort yet? Most other resorts in Austria and Switzerland are either already closed or shutting up shop today.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    yesterday, yep. But what else are we supposed to do?? ;)

As one of the bars pointed out all the other shops, bakeries, supermarkets are open.

Even Restaurants..?!???
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver