Your rants here.

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    wow some shit really puts things into prospective, a friend of mine has been given 2 months to live, he's suffered life long organ issues but now there's nothing more they can do, added to which he has two young boys and split from his wife last year.

Fuck!

Worse still I only know about this because of my wife job at the school where his sons attend and he hasn't told anyone else inc. his ex, so I cant go and see him or arrange a farewell do, Fuck fuck fuck!

Fuck!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    itboffin said:

wow some censored really puts things into prospective, a friend of mine has been given 2 months to live, he's suffered life long organ issues but now there's nothing more they can do, added to which he has two young boys and split from his wife last year.

censored !

Worse still I only know about this because of my wife job at the school where his sons attend and he hasn't told anyone else inc. his ex, so I cant go and see him or arrange a farewell do, censored censored censored !

censored !

censored !. Damn dude, sorry to hear that. I'd say sod it and reach out them anyway, but you know your friends best.

Really puts live in context doesn't it :(
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    itboffin said:

wow some censored really puts things into prospective, a friend of mine has been given 2 months to live, he's suffered life long organ issues but now there's nothing more they can do, added to which he has two young boys and split from his wife last year.

censored !

Worse still I only know about this because of my wife job at the school where his sons attend and he hasn't told anyone else inc. his ex, so I cant go and see him or arrange a farewell do, censored censored censored !

censored !

That's unpleasant all round. Sorry to hear that.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    itboffin said:

censored !

censored !

That sucks.
    Can you send him a text or give him a ring just to say hello? He could probably do with someone around but understand the privacy issues.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Yesterday I ran to work, or at least from Waterloo Station to the office. 10km in a gentle 50 minutes wearing a backpack. This is not unusual and I've run sub 45 minute 10km in the summer.

Strava maintains that my estimated best possible 10km is 52 minutes 28 seconds.

Does Strava think I'm lying, or are all their algorithm just rubbish.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • wolfsbane2k
    yet another broken pedal morning.

Thankfully very close to home, so 4 minute turnaround to stick the spare on,
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    asprilla said:

Yesterday I ran to work, or at least from Waterloo Station to the office. 10km in a gentle 50 minutes wearing a backpack. This is not unusual and I've run sub 45 minute 10km in the summer.

I would say that Strava algorithms will only produce estimated numbers and they may or may not be reasonable numbers for you. If you can beta the estimate by that much then you can say it doesn't work for you.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    wongataa said:

asprilla said:

I would say that Strava algorithms will only produce estimated numbers and they may or may not be reasonable numbers for you. If you can beta the estimate by that much then you can say it doesn't work for you.
    But surely one of the basic rules for the estimate is that it shouldn't be higher than the time you just ran.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

asprilla said:

Not what I need first thing in the morning.

Certainly not the first thing you'd want to see upon opening your eyes in the morning.

It's what everyone wants, or should want.

Happy to have put you off your breakfast :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin said:

censored !

censored !

:(

That's horrific.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • wolfsbane2k
    Some sod has swiped the cadence sensor and magnet from my bike. Only left it at the shop for 5 minutes. Pigs.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    absolute pig of a ride in this morning due to close passes, 3 or 4 all no more than 2ft let alone 1 metre, including one guy who decided he wanted a second bite of me after Id remonstrated with him on his first go at trying to knock me off

then on the way home I use a shared cyclepath part of the way as I dont feel safe riding the road section there in the dark anymore, and I hear a glass breaking sound from my front wheel, yep someones smashed a bottle which I hadnt seen in the dark and rain and made sure all the bits are left on the cycle path, its amazing how they always only break on that side isnt it.

fortunately I dont think I picked up anything though I need to properly check my wheels in daylight.

but then when I switched back to the road for the last stretch,surprise surprise get close passed again, great just what you need in the dark in driving rain into a gusty cross wind.

I wonder what joys of cycling on the road tomorrow will bring :(
  • xbnm
    xbnm Posts: 116
    BIt snowy and slushy ride this morning, ice tyres fitted and used for the first time this winter. Drivers fitted in to catagroies going too slow for the conditions but me not wanting to overtake them. Driving too fast (ie more than speed limit) and overtaking without going over into the cleared wheel tracks in the opposite resulting in spraying slush all over me cretins.
  • cjcp said:

itboffin said:

censored !

censored !

:(

That's horrific.
    Isn’t it just!

• adskis
    adskis Posts: 85
    WVM was cunningly disguised in a blue van this morning. Blew his cover though, with the late 'MGIF-pass-on-the-bend', immediately followed by the 'slam-on-brakes-to-turn-right' double. Class act that one!
    Muppet...
  • xbnm
    xbnm Posts: 116
    Followed a car round a corner stopped for no reason failed to notice me stopped behind him and promtly reversed in to me. Claimed i ridden into the back of him until i pointed out the camera. As i shouted loudly, he breaked just before impact so no damage done scared him a bit with the potential costs of new bike while asking for contact details. He took a lot of pictures :smiley:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Just been announced that our office gym is closing temporarily, as an anti-coronavirus measure. Which means my only way of getting to the office is on public transport. Which I suspect actually increases my chance of being exposed to the virus...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • wolfsbane2k
    tgotb said:

Just been announced that our office gym is closing temporarily, as an anti-coronavirus measure. Which means my only way of getting to the office is on public transport. Which I suspect actually increases my chance of being exposed to the virus...

:#
    How many others ride/run/walk to work and use the showers?
  • tgotb
    I've now been told to work from home, so it's no longer an issue for me. I guess that, by the time everyone's back in the office, the gym will be open again. Bit annoying for people who still have to go to the office though...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited March 2020
    This happened half way through last nights ride home.

• itboffin
    Gaffa tape will sort that ride out ;)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wolfsbane2k
    itboffin said:

Gaffa tape will sort that ride out ;)

I do carry a small roll of gaffer and some zip ties in the pannier for such occasions, but decided I couldn't be bothered to stop and sort it out.

2 years almost to the day all weather commuting, including some absolute drenches,- not too shabby for £35.
  • itboffin
    indeed, i have some nice ADIDAS walking trainers that unglued the sole whilst on holiday in Croatia, you know one of the countries that has hot summers anyway as they're not worn in anyway i've fixed them with shoegoo

Sorted innit
  • tgotb
    Why is it that all the people I used to be able to talk to on the phone now insist on having video conferences? And why does every one of them insist on using a different video conference app? My entire life is now occupied by setting up b****y video conference apps...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Rant. Why the hell are bike shops so damn busy that buying a bike now takes over 4 weeks to get it delivered? BAH HUMBUG I WANT IT TOMORROW (or possibly friday)

Anti-rant.
    Local Bike shops appear very overloaded, which is GREAT for local businesses, and hopefully some of those who get a new bike keep it up.
  • itboffin

Rant. Why the hell are bike shops so damn busy that buying a bike now takes over 4 weeks to get it delivered? BAH HUMBUG I WANT IT TOMORROW (or possibly friday)

Anti-rant.
    Local Bike shops appear very overloaded, which is GREAT for local businesses, and hopefully some of those who get a new bike keep it up.

Still want those chainrings old chap?
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    I feel a little bad resurrecting this thread but wasn't sure where else to put this little story and just had to share it!
    I know that plenty of riders like to take primary and plenty insist on being given appropriate space when a car passes. Not a problem. I did come across one quite extreme example the other day, though:
    Approaching a cyclist whilst driving, as per normal, I get ready to pass him (ensuring that the road is clear the other way). He, presumably having heard me coming, moves over to primary. However, as I pull out to pass he continues over, pretty much to the dashed lines in the middle of the road.
    This, in itself, shouldn’t be too much of an issue, as I’m taking the ‘oncoming’ lane to pass him anyway – I am just a bit nervous that he is going to continue right across the road for some bizarre reason. He doesn’t, so I continue with my pass.
    As I’m alongside he reaches out with his arm, shouting something about giving him space. I’m having to drive almost to the opposite verge so that he doesn’t contact the car (it isn’t the widest of roads). I get by quickly and pull back in, looking in my mirror to see him (i) still waving his arm and mouthing something and (ii) moving back over towards the left.
    No idea what his problem – or agenda! – is. But I’m a little concerned that, if he is in the habit of doing that, he will eventually find an equally aggressive driver, and won’t come out of it very well.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,277

I feel a little bad resurrecting this thread but wasn't sure where else to put this little story and just had to share it!
    I know that plenty of riders like to take primary and plenty insist on being given appropriate space when a car passes. Not a problem. I did come across one quite extreme example the other day, though:
    Approaching a cyclist whilst driving, as per normal, I get ready to pass him (ensuring that the road is clear the other way). He, presumably having heard me coming, moves over to primary. However, as I pull out to pass he continues over, pretty much to the dashed lines in the middle of the road.
    This, in itself, shouldn’t be too much of an issue, as I’m taking the ‘oncoming’ lane to pass him anyway – I am just a bit nervous that he is going to continue right across the road for some bizarre reason. He doesn’t, so I continue with my pass.
    As I’m alongside he reaches out with his arm, shouting something about giving him space. I’m having to drive almost to the opposite verge so that he doesn’t contact the car (it isn’t the widest of roads). I get by quickly and pull back in, looking in my mirror to see him (i) still waving his arm and mouthing something and (ii) moving back over towards the left.
    No idea what his problem – or agenda! – is. But I’m a little concerned that, if he is in the habit of doing that, he will eventually find an equally aggressive driver, and won’t come out of it very well.

:|
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

:|
    Two tons of agressively driven car versus 90kg max of cyclist. And the winner of the Darwin award is.......
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    looked at my saddlebag this morning and the light bracket looked a little sketchy, so I threaded a tiewrap through the bracket and the loop on the saddlebag.

Stopped at a junction 20miles into the ride to put the light on and discovered that the loop on the saddlebag had failed and thus the light (and tiewrap) had slid off......

..... looks like we're going to be starting a "recommend me a light" a little earlier this year.