The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

parmos said:

never seen so much rubbish in all my years as whats going on in the world at the minute everyone all ar$e clenchers

You're a "get rid of the deadwood" type then?
    Just to play devil's advocate maybe it is nature's way to address the fact that modern medicine has led to lives being unnaturally prolonged resulting in an ageing population?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511

parmos said:

never seen so much rubbish in all my years as whats going on in the world at the minute everyone all ar$e clenchers

Bit of a glass house position that is.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Pross said:

parmos said:

Just to play devil's advocate maybe it is nature's way to address the fact that modern medicine has led to lives being unnaturally prolonged resulting in an ageing population?
    It would be an awkward time to find out that Downing St SpAds were into eugenics.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Any news on whether Australia have upgraded their alert level to "pretty average"?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    Pross said:

parmos said:

I was watching a programme last night with some virologist/immunologist explaining his view. I'd heard of it before but he was mentioning 'herd immunity' which he saw as the only way to get past this unless they come up with an effective vaccine. Clearly herd immunity means most people catching a dose to become immune (let's hope it's possible); so in the absence of a vaccine and given how easily this thing appears to spread, I can't see how we are going to get through it without major loss of elderly/infirm lives.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Spot of anecdotal evidence from a mate who lives in Spain that things are not good there. A few days ago they had around 1,000 reported cases in Madrid alone and there was talk of quarantining Madrid, so he jumped on the first train down to Malaga where he has a small farm and is holed up there (and working remotely) for the foreseeable future. His only real problem is his old dear in the UK is pretty old and not in great shape and he feels (quite rightly) that he can't risk visiting.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I've read the bits above but what I can't get is if the UK is trying to 'flatten the curve', how is this achieved by continuing mass crowd events as opposed to cancelling them as in the rest of Europe. If 1% of, say that Ascot picture are infected then Hospitals will start to be overwhelmed.

I understand that everyone is likely going to get it - I may already have done - but surely me trying to avoid giving it to everyone else in Verbier is smart...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Does anyone on here actually know anyone with it? Not know of someone but actually know them? I don't, none of my colleagues do, nor do any of my mates.

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

Does anyone on here actually know anyone with it? Not know of someone but actually know them? I don't, none of my colleagues do, nor do any of my mates.

no. not yet but not surprising right now. Maybe give it a week or two.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Stevo_666

No (unless DDR has Corona and not just the 'Flu). But I have a feeling that may change soon. Given the incubation period, the reported numbers appear to be well behind the real numbers, although the recent estimates of UK actual cases being 10-15x reported cases, it still makes for a very small percentage of the total population.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    edited March 2020
    Now is probably the time to catch this, if you are unfortunate enough to get complications there is still enough capacity to give you the best medical care and if you don't have complications well at least you don't have to spend the next 4-5 months worrying when it's your turn. I suppose well after the peak us the second best time, unfortunately by definition most of us will not be so lucky.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Stevo_666

Now is probably the time to catch this, if you are unfortunate enough to get complications there is still enough capacity to give you the best medical care and if you don't have complications well at least you don't have to spend the next 4-5 months worrying when it's your turn. I suppose well after the peak us the second best time, unfortunately by definition most of us will not be so lucky.

I think I'm going to check the small print in my company BUPA policy before I go round licking door handles.
  • ddraver
    edited March 2020

I felt that, not gonna lie ;)
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    ddraver said:

How you doing?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    Bolsonaro has it.
  • ddraver

ddraver said:

How you doing?
    Day 3

Cough is mostly gone, Nose has cleared up and generally better in myself. However, still got these bloomin' chills which are...really annoying. Not sure how you can get chills with no fever.
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. Have heard annecdotally that you feel better a bit before you get worse.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

parmos said:

I've been saying for a number of years that the only thing that will really help with the climate crisis is a 30%-40% drop in the world's population.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Yeah. Have heard annecdotally that you feel better a bit before you get worse.

Yeah, people get a second wind shortly before hanging up the boots for good ;)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited March 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Spot of anecdotal evidence from a mate who lives in Spain that things are not good there. A few days ago they had around 1,000 reported cases in Madrid alone and there was talk of quarantining Madrid, so he jumped on the first train down to Malaga where he has a small farm and is holed up there (and working remotely) for the foreseeable future. His only real problem is his old dear in the UK is pretty old and not in great shape and he feels (quite rightly) that he can't risk visiting.

So a potential carrier (bearing in mind it can take 5-14 days to become symptomatic) decided to be selfish and took himself to a new area outside of the quarantine zone. Marvellous.

This is how it fecking spreads.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Expert on the second Sam Harris podcast on this topic suggested a max fatality rate of 0.6% based on the best available data (South Korea). That would suggest that a lot more people in Italy have caught it than their figures suggest.

It seems more in line with what we've seen here although we can presumably expect the rate of deaths versus confirmed cases to start rising now we're not bothering to test most suspected cases any more.

Standard flu by comparison has a death rate of 0.1%.
  • rick_chasey
    There is also the small chance (we can hope!) that as cases happen medical staff begin to understand ways of helping manage the issue. Have heard some stories, uncorroborated, that certain anti-inflammatory drugs help reduce the severity of reactions etc.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    edited March 2020

Yeah. Have heard anecdotally that you feel better a bit before you get worse.

You're a little ray of sunshine Rick ;)
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rick_chasey
    I've done a nice 90km ride with DD. He knows I'm in his corner.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    based upon a lot of anecdotal evidence there will be a lot of companies ignoring Boris and shutting their offices next week.

Doing the opposite of the rest of the world is a very high risk strategy - as a known lying untrustworthy twat it does feel like he is gambling for the sake of it
  • ddraver
    If I die this is going to reflect very poorly on you...

;)
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Aegon in Edinburgh have shut their offices after a confirmed case.
    Joke is that no one dealing with Aegon realised anyone actually worked there as the service is so terrible!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583

based upon a lot of anecdotal evidence there will be a lot of companies ignoring Boris and shutting their offices next week.

Doing the opposite of the rest of the world is a very high risk strategy - as a known lying untrustworthy censored it does feel like he is gambling for the sake of it

As long as the main criticism of Boris's strategy is coming from those he defeated in the Tory leadership election rather than leading medical experts I'm fairly comfortable that he's taking a relatively sensible approach.
  • parmos
    parmos Posts: 100

parmos said:

nah not at all but i just think its all gone mental for what...........