The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    edited March 2020
    The US basketball player diagnosed with coronavirus reportedly made a joke about the virus at a press conference, in which he purposefully rubbed every reporter's microphone.

Rudy Gobert, who plays for Utah Jazz, took part in a media briefing on Monday in which members of the press were barred from entering the locker room as a preventative measure.

He then intentionally rubbed all of the microphones, in order to mock the restriction.

Now, Associated Press and Reuters news agencies are reporting that he is the player who has contracted the virus.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193

The US basketball player diagnosed with coronavirus reportedly made a joke about the virus at a press conference, in which he purposefully rubbed every reporter's microphone.

Rudy Gobert, who plays for Utah Jazz, took part in a media briefing on Monday in which members of the press were barred from entering the locker room as a preventative measure.

He then intentionally rubbed all of the microphones, in order to mock the restriction.

Now, Associated Press and Reuters news agencies are reporting that he is the player who has contracted the virus.
    Blimey, way to go on the embarrassment scale.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Lucky for him he doesn't live in a country where there's a litigious mindset!
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Scotland looking to ban public gatherings of more than 500.
    So most football matches and the Proclaimers grand tour will be unaffected.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

We are not 2 weeks behind Italy. It's rubbish to look at their numbers and then find the UK equivalent of positives and say that is how far behind we are. Both countries had patient zero at a similar time however Italy went weeks before catching up with contact tracing this patient. We knew all patient zero contacts (Brighton) very quickly.

Government has just said we are 4 weeks behind Italy...

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    There is some annoying denial from people who are ignorant of maths and virology, isn't there?
    On radio Scotland there was an indignant texter who took the newsreader to task for saying that Scottish infection rates had "nearly doubled", when they had only gone up by two thirds! Panic mongers!

It takes a few seconds to work out that exponential growth at a ratio of 1.67 will take a whole six days longer to infect the whole country than at a ratio of 2.

Meanwhile, rumours of hazmats going door to door in Glasgow.

And not a cheep on what schools should be doing.
  • fenix said:

We are not 2 weeks behind Italy. It's rubbish to look at their numbers and then find the UK equivalent of positives and say that is how far behind we are. Both countries had patient zero at a similar time however Italy went weeks before catching up with contact tracing this patient. We knew all patient zero contacts (Brighton) very quickly.

That is not 2 weeks. In this fast moving situation 2 additonal weeks is a lot.

That means in 2 weeks we can invoke a lockdown if the data shows it is the correct time.

Italy are reacting to this virus as they have lost control, whereas the UK is still in control of the situation.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

There is some annoying denial from people who are ignorant of maths and virology, isn't there?
    On radio Scotland there was an indignant texter who took the newsreader to task for saying that Scottish infection rates had "nearly doubled", when they had only gone up by two thirds! Panic mongers!

It takes a few seconds to work out that exponential growth at a ratio of 1.67 will take a whole six days longer to infect the whole country than at a ratio of 2.

Meanwhile, rumours of hazmats going door to door in Glasgow.

And not a cheep on what schools should be doing.

Just took this from the BBC website in relation to your point re schools:

Prof Chris Whitty says there is no scientific evidence yet for closing schools.

The chief medical officer says the "one silver lining" of coronavirus is it looks as if children are affected much less than adults.

He adds: "It is not our view they do not get infected, we think they probably do, but they seem to have a much milder disease.

"Closing schools has big knock-on effects across society and has to be justified for very strong reasons.

"And the evidence for doing this appears to be quite weak."
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687

ddraver said:

How are you doing?

Based on that chart I 'just' have the flu so, miserable but...meh
    That's good, yeah it's still not great.

I do remember thinking that, when I had the flu, in 1990, that that must be what dying felt like. Horrible... though I didn't die, obvs.
  • focuszing723

ddraver said:

How are you doing?

I do remember thinking that, when I had the flu, in 1990, that that must be what dying felt like. Horrible... though I didn't die, obvs.
    I've only had the flu once and yeah it wasn't great, but the knowledge I would be OK was young it didn't concern me.

The herd immunity plan isn't helping the concern I have for my parents though, who have spent their lives doing the right thing and playing by the rules.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

fenix said:

That means in 2 weeks we can invoke a lockdown if the data shows it is the correct time.

Italy are reacting to this virus as they have lost control, whereas the UK is still in control of the situation.
    Genius - you are definitely the best Coopster
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited March 2020

fenix said:

Genius - you are definitely the best Coopster
    I'm not the genius, that goes to Sir Patrick Vallance & Professor Chris Whitty and their teams. It is them we have to thank for their plan and guiding the UK in a brilliant way. I don't think they have made an error yet and I hope it continues. They have my full support.

It's nice to have Brits and a system that is the envy of the world
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    People losing their sh!t over BoJo listening to experts to the letter isn’t how I imagined 2020 turning out.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    edited March 2020
    Pross said:

ddraver said:

So there's basically very little to help determine if it's Coronavirus or flu other than you might get a shortness of breath with the former.
    yeah Im not convinced that chart is wholly accurate in my case anyway,with asthma shortness of breath is kind of a way of life and colds/flu always make it a whole lot worse, so anyone coughing near me is unnerving me quite abit at the moment :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

ddraver said:

How are you doing?

Yeah, a minor flu all things considered...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter

People losing their sh!t over BoJo listening to experts to the letter isn’t how I imagined 2020 turning out.

In this case he had a range of expert opinions from which to chose. I am surprised he is not doing more to look decisive.

Coopster as always could not resist over-egging the soufflé.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608

ddraver said:

How are you doing?

I had the 'flu 2 years ago. Forgot to go for the 'flu jab in November, and in December.... bye bye seasonal celebrations. As BT said above, at the nadir I did harbour thoughts of the 'is this what death feels like?' type.

Is life innit. Da bugs is gonna take out the weak, the compromised, those with other health issues, the immuno suppressed, et al. Has ever been so. Natural selection?
    Mind you, my pension pot has taken a serious beating, just as well I'm not one of those who need pension money now.

But hey, no matter, on with the hysteria.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Belgium has shut bars till April 3rd :o
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131

fenix said:

I don't entirely disagree, but I think if there is a choice between doing it a few days earlier than ideal, or a few days later, we should go for the early option.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I don't understand the criticism of the UK Government for not taking the same action as other countries. Is there anything that suggests the actions in China and Italy have helped? It feels too early to me to judge the most effective way of dealing with it and countries taking different approaches will hopefully help everyone learn the most effective way of dealing with any future similar outbreaks.
  • surrey_commuter
    Seems they are not advising stricter measures because they feel people will get bored and come back out to play... ie they are keeping their powder dry.

The downside of this is that old vulnerable people are exactly the people who will do whatever the Govt tells them
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Is that a downside? If the most vulnerable are self-isolating then they are at least protecting themselves. You only have to look at people driving through the recent floods when the advice was not to travel unless strictly necessary to see the British attitude that these things apply to everyone else and not then.

On the other hand a lot of companies etc. are taking voluntary measures so hopefully that will reduce contact and naturally slow the rate of spread. My company has decided we should all work from home today (despite having hosted hospitality at Cheltenham all week with about 75% of staff having attended).
  • focuszing723
    Pross said:

I don't understand the criticism of the UK Government for not taking the same action as other countries. Is there anything that suggests the actions in China and Italy have helped? It feels too early to me to judge the most effective way of dealing with it and countries taking different approaches will hopefully help everyone learn the most effective way of dealing with any future similar outbreaks.

If you are or have a family member in the vulnerable group, not containing the spread will greatly increase your chance of getting the virus (delay it to the summer). I can understand the herd immunity theory but for many people in this group it will be too late.
  • surrey_commuter

Pross said:

If you are or have a family member in the vulnerable group, not containing the spread will greatly increase your chance of getting the virus (delay it to the summer). I can understand the herd immunity theory but for many people in this group it will be too late.
    Exactly - had a very frustrating call with my parents who are following Govt advice to carry on despite being in their 80s and her with an underlying heart condition
  • focuszing723

Pross said:

Exactly - had a very frustrating call with my parents who are following Govt advice to carry on despite being in their 80s and her with an underlying heart condition
    In this scenario I am far to the left in thinking.
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

I have always wondered with these things how much gov'ts can actually do. My instinct, which is certainly not often right, is to think all this shutting down is king cnut trying to hold back the sea anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    Interesting the heat Sturgeon is getting for shutting down schools. Even admits herself it was not done on the basis of 'scientific evidence'.

I know it's BoJo, but I really get the impression the UK is actually doing everything by the letter of the expert, not least as it seems so counter-intuitive.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    OK, so this morning my train looked like a scene from 28 Days Later. London is very quiet today. I appreciate it's always quieter on a Friday but there were free seats after Surbiton and if that's not a sign of an apocalypse, I don't know what is.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.