Possible Scott CR1 SL replacement - Addict Disc RC, but what groupset and wheels?

So I composed a big long post on Friday, added a ton of detail, posted it, and realised I had made a spelling typo, so amended one whole letter, and then it dissapeared for approval or something, and 3 days later I have given up and started again!

>>>>>

I love my CR1 SL, built up in 2014 iirc, with Ultegra 6800, and carbon ritchey wcs finishing kit.
It's fairly light, pretty much bang on 7kg, as I also fitted the 125th anniversary Mavic Kysirium Exalith wheels.

Last year I started riding my Foil, and that has somewhat spoiled me, Dura Ace 9100 is another tier in shifting accuracy and feel imho (not that the Ultegra is shabby in anyway) and it is such an eager bike, and as Scott bikes seem to fit me so well, I have started to have impure thoughts about an Addict disc.
Notably the purple (or aubergine coloured) one.

Never thought I would want a purple bike, but this one looks superb to be, and I think there was a Caad 12 or 13 in recent times that was an ever more vibrant purple and looked pretty nice to me.

Anyway, I digress - another reason I thought for replacing the CR1 is that my brother (who lives in Italy) is dearly in need of a new bike, and this would fit him perfectly.
The only niggle is a creaky bb, but I have a ceramic one i just need to get around to fitting, which I will probably do this summer.

The other catalyst is that my workplace have just increased the C2W limit per annum to £2000, so I am idly thinking, that if I can find the right supplier, I could buy a frame one year, and either a groupset the next, or a groupset and wheels the next - although I do have some 30mm deep handbuilt carbon wheels doing nothing which could fit, although these will be designed for QR, so not sure of the logistics involved in making them compatible.
They are not heavy either, so would be a good fit in that regard.
This is the frame I have my eye on:

So IF I can find a way to do that, that's part 1 of the plan for later this year.
Part 2 would then be in 2021 to source either a groupset & wheels, or just a groupset.

If I go for the latter I can potentially get something really high end, but would like to hear peoples experiences of 12 spd Etap and Di2.
For the record, I am not sold on electronic gears, and may be as well inclined to stick to the likes of DA9100, as it's so good on the Foil.
However, I am open minded, and not set in either direction.

Finishing kit: I already have saddle, and bars to fit that would do it justice, but would need to source a stem, but that's no biggy.
I may look at the all in one Scott cockpit like the Foil has, but the addict equivalent, but I suspect that is around the £450 mark, whch is pretty hefty, and I am unlikely to be able to C2W it.
The upside of those bars is that I believe it allows complete internal cabling for every single thing:

Opinions please on whether this seems like a decent plan, and opinions on what wheels and groupset would work best please.

Thinking about it, Part 3 could be to buy some dream wheels in 2022, using the next years allowance, so if anyone has any good suggestions I'm all ears.
Lightness would be a key element of them of course, plus they need to be disc compatible.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    C2W seems to work differently with different schemes and/or employers. Often the hire period is 3 years even though they may recover the costs over just the first year. That would mean you couldn't take out a second scheme until the first three years elapse. This is to do with capitalisation of the asset, as you also pay a final fee of x% of the value, so the newer it is the higher the value; too new and the value offsets any tax savings so much it is of no benefit to the employer or employee.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Me - I will double check, but am pretty sure I read that as soon as you finish a 12 month period, you can take out another one, but will certainly ask the question.

I know at least a couple of people at work who use up their allowance every 12 months!

Any groupset opinions people?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • So...you're thinking of building a bike up over 3 years??

Year 1= Frame
    Year 2= Group
    Year 3= Wheels

I'm all for building a new bike up gradually....say, between the end of Summer and the following Spring, but 2-3 years??!

We'll be back full-circle by then to steel, round tubes and rim brakes !

(either that or mag-lev drivertrains)
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2020

So...you're thinking of building a bike up over 3 years??

Year 1= Frame
    Year 2= Group
    Year 3= Wheels

I'm all for building a new bike up gradually....say, between the end of Summer and the following Spring, but 2-3 years??!

lol, no it would be from beginning to end (A wheeled bicycle) circa 13 months I guess.

I'm on a C2W scheme now which ends in November 2020, so take a new one out then to hopefully get the frame by Christmas, then November 2021 take a second one out to either get just the groupset, or groupset and wheels.
    If I just go very expensive groupset then I would run the bike with the spare handbuilt wheels I currently have, and then look to take a 3rd C2W out in Nov 2022 for some bling bling wheels, but having a quick look, they don't seem to justify the costs for the weights etc, so would probably go handbuilt and ignore C2W unless any wheelbuilders accept the vouchers that is.

Having said that, I took an AGE with my CR1, I think I was the penultimate person to get theirs built up, must have been a good two years :o

I know what you mean about the market changing, but to be honest I love the look of that frame above, and I can see that lasting me 15+ years, I can't see the Foil boring me within the next 10 years either.

Does no one have any feedback on hydraulic groupsets......?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b

So...you're thinking of building a bike up over 3 years??

Year 1= Frame
    Year 2= Group
    Year 3= Wheels

No I don't think so, it would be 13 months from buying the frame until buying the groupset.
    If I go hyper quality groupset and no wheels, I can use the handbuilts I have sat around, and either stick with that, or buy some more blingy ones the following year.
    Though probably more likely to go the handbuilt route, though I suspect no wheelbuilders will take a C2W voucher :-(
    Even if they did with a surcharge that would be fine with me.

I'm not very fast at building bikes anyway, think the CR1's were 2-3 years!

I know what you're saying about hardware and standards changing etc but the key bit is that stunning frame and paint job, and I can't see me getting bored of that in the next 15 years.
    Similarly, I believe my Foil will keep me entertained for at least another 10 years.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Fair enough, and I applaud you for being pretty damned sustainable if that's your view on bikes.

Given that, I'd also strongly consider looking at the end of season and 2nd hand deals and ignore the C2W. A lot of cyclists are of throw-away mentality, and you can build a high end bike relatively cheapy IF your patient and have the time...
  • racerex
    racerex Posts: 69
    Why not just wait two years and then buy the whole package (2 yr old NOS) for about 1/3 of what it costs now?
  • daniel_b

Fair enough, and I applaud you for being pretty damned sustainable if that's your view on bikes.

Given that, I'd also strongly consider looking at the end of season and 2nd hand deals and ignore the C2W. A lot of cyclists are of throw-away mentality, and you can build a high end bike relatively cheapy IF your patient and have the time...

I am of the mindset to buy a quality item that you love, and it will last an age if you look after it.
    I'm the same with motor vehicles.

I'm becoming more in love with that frame as each day passes, so may move away from c2w if that complicates things, though I would use it for the groupset, and maybe wheels.
    racerex said:

Why not just wait two years and then buy the whole package (2 yr old NOS) for about 1/3 of what it costs now?

I could chance it, but I'm not sure that frame comes built up, and the chances are I would want to change various bits.
    The other gamble is that they might sell out pretty quickly, especially in my size.

Less people seem to be sellung their framesets now too, Sigma and Evans no longer stock them at all, Sigma / Startfitness / Tredz don't seem to sell the framesets like they used to 🤔

Additionally, had a quick look at handbuilt wheels, and have seen that purple hubs and nipples are available, which would go rather nicely imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • @daniel_b This will whet your appetite -
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=160172&sid=d314f615e80c74d077d90a993b6629de
    I'm reasonably into car detailing but have never done this to a bike. Impressive work on the stunning paint job though, really gets the flakes popping!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • daniel_b

@daniel_b This will whet your appetite -
    https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=160172&sid=d314f615e80c74d077d90a993b6629de
    I'm reasonably into car detailing but have never done this to a bike. Impressive work on the stunning paint job though, really gets the flakes popping!

Thanks bd, that looks bl00dy amazing :o
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18