Multitools

I am a returning cyclist, I have bought a via nirone 7 last summer and only been round town on it.
I am worried about going any further due to getting a puncture.
I am also a one man band.
basically this puncture worry is stopping me from getting out there so I ask you
what to carry in my jersey pocket and what multitool to buy?
tia

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    All of the above. I have a pair of disposable gloves too after caking my hands, bottle, grip tape and phone in oil.
  • fiverears
    fiverears Posts: 38
    thx for the replies
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Once you've got all the relevant kit, I would advise having a dry run at replacing an inner tube on the rear wheel in the comfort of your garage or somewhere at home.
    Nothing like being familiar with the required technique to ease any anxieties about puncturing out on the road.
    Rear wheel is best as it's a bit more of a faff to remove and refit due to the derailleur
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Hexus X is excellent.
  • fiverears
    fiverears Posts: 38
    arlowood said:

Once you've got all the relevant kit, I would advise having a dry run at replacing an inner tube on the rear wheel in the comfort of your garage or somewhere at home.
    Nothing like being familiar with the required technique to ease any anxieties about puncturing out on the road.
    Rear wheel is best as it's a bit more of a faff to remove and refit due to the derailleur

yes I was thinking of doing this, like a couple of times just to get used to it
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    edited March 2020
    fiverears said:

arlowood said:

yes I was thinking of doing this, like a couple of times just to get used to it
    It also breaks new tyres in making getting the tyre off easier if you happen to have a difficult combination of rim and tyre. I've had some combinations which are very easy, and some that are very difficult.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Yes, that's a good one.

I had a flat on both wheels once on my MTB. I was riding on a lane after the farmers had finished tractor trimming the hedgerows. I turn back if I see signs of this now and use a different route. Give it a week with rain to try the road again.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I swear by separate bits of kit. Allen Keys. Chain breaker. Small flat screwdriver and you're sorted. Some multi tools are so bulky that you cant get them into spaces to tighten stuff.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    fenix said:

Some multi tools are so bulky that you cant get them into spaces to tighten stuff.

True - some are obscenely bulky. The Hexus X is just about right and as it incorporates a chain tool it was a good balance of convenience and heft. Believe me, I took about 6 months researching tools before I bought one. There has only been once incidence I have experienced of a bulky multi tool (not mine) not fitting and that was on a seat post bolt that had a wedge adjuster. My Hexus fit though.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• faster97
    faster97 Posts: 33
    I only carry an innertube, a CO2 cartridge and head, one of those tiny park tools instant patch kits (about the size of a postage stamp), a tenner (polymer notes make the best tyre boots) and a VAR tyre lever.

I don't usually carry the tyre lever as I can usually manage without, but for the rims I'm using at the moment, it's the only thing I can get the tyres on or off with - normal tyre levers are no use!

Other than the tyre lever, it all fits into one of the little resealable plastic pouches that small 'LIfeline' branded parts are sent out in. No need for a saddle bag - fits nicely into a jersey pocket.

I know they don't weigh much, but for most rides, even long ones, I don't see the need to carry tools on a well maintained bike. Failures are so rare.

If I'm going touring for multiple days, I take an absolute shed load of stuff. I think it depends on how much you trust your bike! The one I use for that sort of stuff isn't so well maintained.