The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Definitely at your age ;-)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

In other news, nearly 40,000 will die in the UK from road accidents and vehicle emissions.
    Although this will reduce if we are all at home so perhaps the virus will save more lives than it takes.

Everyone washing their hands will probably save people dying from other infectious diseases as well. People forced to fly less might decide that they don't always need to travel and reduce emissions etc etc.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166

I'm not that old.

TBH less worried about myself than passing it to my kid in the run up to her A-levels. Luckily I can do most of what I need to do remotely for a while.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The highest percentage of positive tests returned in the latest numbers (6.8%) leads me to believe they are understanding better who to test for this based on symtoms.

I'm sure there a number of people who have this but are not being tested and being asked to self quarantine. I don't think we need to know every positive test, just the positives for people who are serious enough to require hospital treatment. This way we are rightly prioritising those who should be tested
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Another 2313 cases in Italy and Roger Daltrey is calling it a pandemic.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132

It's his generation that is worst affected.
  • focuszing723

Well that's true, he needs to stop ggetting around.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Can't get my head round the panic/bulk buying of loo rolls. As far as I'm aware this virus does not give you the s***s. And if you did get laid up with the Lager Virus I think ones appetite is going to be suppressed, thus need for said sanitary product is reduced.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Wonder if they’ll try to put them down?
    That would increase the mortality rate though.
  • focuszing723
    edited March 2020
    mr_goo said:

Can't get my head round the panic/bulk buying of loo rolls. As far as I'm aware this virus does not give you the s***s. And if you did get laid up with the Lager Virus I think ones appetite is going to be suppressed, thus need for said sanitary product is reduced.

I guess as a cheaper method of blowing your streaming nose, rather than tissues (if the s--t kicks off). Also it's bulky, whereas other items could be purchased by walking to local shops.

I don't get it though.
  • mr_goo said:

I guess as a cheaper method of blowing your streaming nose, rather than tissues (if the s--t kicks off). Also it's bulky, whereas other items could be purchased by walking to local shops.

I don't get it though.
    C19 does not give you a runny nose or the sneezes. It's also a dry cough and not a phlegmy one.

The panic buying of loo roll just shows why the gov't are putting so much effort into managing human behaviour and that is the secret to controlling any spread of C19
  • focuszing723

mr_goo said:

I don't get it though.
    C19 does not give you a runny nose or the sneezes. It's also a dry cough and not a phlegmy one.

The panic buying of loo roll just shows why the gov't are putting so much effort into managing human behaviour and that is the secret to controlling any spread of C19
    Well, that's p1$$ed on my chips. I'm going to use some of my bog roll to dry the tears of my embarrassment.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm not that old.

TBH less worried about myself than passing it to my kid in the run up to her A-levels. Luckily I can do most of what I need to do remotely for a while.
    A bigger problem for your daughter would be if the schools go into shutdown and all exams are postponed. If this is the case then Universities are going to face a huge problem of what to do in Sept when making offers to students with no qualifications!

Worried for my son who will be sitting GCSEs too.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Panic buying.
    But not the brand name stuff
    Don't be getting notions

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    This makes for fairly sobering reading

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Member of the extended family is a paramedic, one of those proper ones, blue lights etc etc. His view is keep on keeping on, internal line is peak hysteria due in 10 days.
  • mr_goo said:

I don't get it though.

Well, that's p1$$ed on my chips. I'm going to use some of my bog roll to dry the tears of my embarrassment.
    Wasn't intending to pi$$ on your chips, but with the hysteria and many other winter colds/viruses around it is good to know that the runny nosed sneezing c*ck womble that you are having to share a train carriage with is not a C19 carrier.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    edited March 2020
    I'm 50 50 as to whether or not I've got it right now. Developed a dry cough yesterday over the afternoon (after a boozy weekend with sister visiting me) and then a raging fever in the evening which came on in about 15 minutes and overnight.

Right now -24 hrs later - I'm coughing a little, have a slightly runny nose and the squits (which depending on where you read are symptoms or just associated symptoms - this is what viruses do after all) and I guess my temp is a little high (No thermometer) but I can 'cure' these symptoms with bloomin' Superdrug cold n flu relief.

The Valais Hotline told me to self-isolate until I'm symptom-free + 2 days but also that there was a 100% chance I would NOT be tested (they actually put it like that - you.will.not.be.tested) even though I have to have an ACL surgery in a few weeks. (It's been a crap month thus far...)

My biggest 'fear for the human race' now is that people aren't going to take it that seriously when enough friends or family have had it - or guess they've had it, at the end of the day I will never know - and start telling everyone it's not a big deal
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    Have you used extra toilet roll?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,166

Stevo_666 said:

I'm not that old.

A bigger problem for your daughter would be if the schools go into shutdown and all exams are postponed. If this is the case then Universities are going to face a huge problem of what to do in Sept when making offers to students with no qualifications!

Worried for my son who will be sitting GCSEs too.

She's just scared of it full stop.

As I see it, if they close schools and postpone exams then the whole of year 13 in the country has a problem; however if she gets it but the exams go ahead and she can't take them or was too ill to revise, then she's got a problem. Hence us erring on the cautious side.

Fingers crossed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    This is my wife's daily delivery...
  • ddraver

Hah, well they sell a huge pack in bulk in the supermarket so I was stocked up before it was cool anyway but no I've not used much extra. Trying to sneeze/cough into paper is just...unrealistic as far as I've found.

- @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    ddraver said:

Hah, well they sell a huge pack in bulk in the supermarket so I was stocked up before it was cool anyway but no I've not used much extra. Trying to sneeze/cough into paper is just...unrealistic as far as I've found.

Cheers Raver.

Props for being the first BR C19 control.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    ddraver said:

self-isolate until I'm symptom-free + 2 days

Sorry to hear that.

Do you have a plan to pass the time?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    Netflix and self chill..?

Plus my knee pre-hab

I could only hobble about before so this is just making it even more miserable basically...

- @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Just think of all those pro races you can wa...never mind.
  • rick_chasey
    Could rewatch the best versions of each classic in real time on the dates of the cancelled races.
  • focuszing723
    Italians are facing up to yet more stringent measures designed to combat the outbreak after learning on Monday they would be placed in lockdown conditions. The country’s prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, has now said shops – barring supermarkets, food stores and chemists – will be shut down, while companies must close all their departments that are not essential to production.

Services such as hairdressers and beauty parlours will also be closed, along with bars and restaurants that cannot guarantee they can keep a distance of at least one metre between customers. Referring to the daily bulletins announcing the number of new cases and deaths, Conte said:

We will only be able to see the effects of this great effort in a couple of weeks.

Conte’s office said the new measures would be in force from Thursday until 25 March.

Guardian.

It does make you think we need to be acting sooner rather than later.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think exams should be the least of everyone's worries. We've never seen anything like this in Britain. Something like a 15% fatality rate in the over 80s.

Italy are taking it seriously. We should be doing the same now.

Well worth reading this. He's not a quack.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n06/rupert-beale/short-cuts

• focuszing723
    edited March 2020
    Reports from Sky that Johnson is going to setup up delay measures tomorrow. Another MP's tested C19 positive too.