Winter frame/bike

Hi

I posted in the workshop abut my aluminium Giant Defy (https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13110243/paint-bubbling-corrosion#latest). Its about 7 years old now and use now is pretty much October-March when the roads are grimey.
I took it in to a mechanic who confirmed alu forks were suffering from corrosion. He said the cost of sourcing replacement forks or repairing current forks wasn't worth it for this bike. He advised ride til they fail and then buy a new frame; he said cracks would appear before forks break.

The spec on the bike isn't bad; Zonda wheels, 10spd ultegra chainset, ultegra front/rear mech and brakes (105 shifters are apparantly showing their age).

So question is, what frames should I be looking at? I've been looking second hand but not seen loads on fleabay. Weight not a massive factor as it's for winter. Mud guard compatibility preferable.
Is it easier looking for full bike?
Thanks

Comments

• yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    De Rosa Milanino training is excellent, takes full guards and 25mm tyres, if you can find one second hand. I’m not sure if they are still making them.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I'd look for a new fork - or a new bike - I'm not convinced it's worth swopping over a load of worn 10 speed Shimano. I'm sure the assembled wisdom on this forum could recommend a suitable fork.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Go to a Giant dealer and ask them to order you a Contend SL standard Over Drive rim brake compatible fork, it is a full carbon fork now and should fit your Defy. Have you removed the paint from your Defy fork crown to see how bad the corrosion is?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I wouldn't run a fork until it failed. That sounds like incredibly dumb advice, since there's a good chance you won't know it's failed until you have road rash on your face
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    gsk82 said:

I wouldn't run a fork until it failed. That sounds like incredibly dumb advice, since there's a good chance you won't know it's failed until you have road rash on your face

I've passed stranded people on sportives with clean snapped forks, but they have generally looked carbon. I'm not too weighty and I generally thought alloy were more robust, so I have been out on it today, 60+kph downhill, but felt ok.
    I've been looking at new frames on ebay; seen a Fous Cayo go for £70 yesterday which seemed alright. Switching to my summer bike soon, so will give me the next 6 months to sort the winter frame/fork before next Autumn.
  • js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    Someone at work has a Decathlon gravel bike, which can take mudguards and makes a good commuting bike. I think they go for around £700 in the UK, so I don't know if you budget will stretch to that.
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    js14 said:

Someone at work has a Decathlon gravel bike, which can take mudguards and makes a good commuting bike. I think they go for around £700 in the UK, so I don't know if you budget will stretch to that.

Thanks, but I've seen quite a few 2nd hand bikes for a lot less that would do the job of seeing me through the winter months. Have quite a while now to keep my eye out before it comes out again in the Autumn.