prime rr-50 v mavic cosmic carbon pro exhalth

straight fight, what one would be best? Can get the primes brand new from wiggle for £420, or the mavics, like new from someone second hand for £500, verdict

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rr-50-v2-carbon-clincher-wheelset/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=100511266&kpid=100511266&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sSMQC4xSn_dc|mcrid|295270531587|mkw||mmt||mrd|100511266uk|mslid||&mkwid=sSMQC4xSn_dc&pcrid=295270531587&prd=100511266uk&pgrid=60973737802&ptaid=pla-576454153567&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqY3zBRDQARIsAJeCVxOXsjY-wU8wN4G8yu1TNRDItoIXDI_XadQyye96vu15B8JAt7CQkxkaAi35EALw_wcB
or
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Mavic/Cosmic-Pro-Carbon-Exalith-Clincher-Wheelset-2019/EBLB?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK_EN_REM_Revenue_All Products&utm_content=Web Visitor_All Pages_0-28D&fbclid=IwAR0DBVCjBzWsWvbdHA9Y-_5iHyBzeFvTVWJbjsNbH6zDNXbbGDinfL5JyB4&gclid=CNi7wcTkiOgCFQXKGwodn_IPFw&gclsrc=ds#&gid=null&pid=1

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you want carbon wheels, the Primes. The Mavics aren't true carbon and just an ally wheel with a carbon fairing.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    Performance and quality wise though, are the mavics better?
  • StillGoing
    I have Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST (full carbon) and Prime Black Edition and can't tell any difference other than the Prime wheels are a hell of a lot easier on the wallet. You'd tell the difference with Exalith's though as the fairings tend to collect water in the rain.
  • shiznit76
    does that really happen, water gathering in the fairing?
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 221
    Yes, but also happens with other carbon rims as well. My Rovals CL50s collect water, whereas my Mavic Cosmic SLs (fully carbon, no fairing) don't.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I'd go for the Primes every time... Full carbon rather than fairing, which is lighter, stiffer, looks bettter. More modern rim profile and tubeless compatible too (so likely more aero with 25mm + tyres).
    The fact you're looking at new vs second hand and they are cheaper is just a bonus.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    The Prime have Novatec 291/482 hubs, which are OK in the dry, but the bearings won't last if you ride them in winter or in the wet. They also used non aero spokes of average quality. On the plus side, they can be fixed inexpensively and spare parts are readily available from Novatec retailers.

The Mavic have better hubs and aero spokes, braking surface is likely to be better and not suffer from warping or delamination due to over-heating, but you pay a premium for them and of course any repair will be pricier. Generally Mavic spares are available.

If you are not a DIY mechanic, get the Mavic, support will be better... if you like to do your own spannering, then get the Prime
    left the forum March 2023
  • StillGoing
    edited March 2020
    The Prime Black Edition have aero spokes Ugo as do the version previous. The braking surfaces are fine even in the wet. I've ridden Novatec hubs in all weathers and never had a problem. Get with it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172

The Prime Black Edition have aero spokes Ugo as do the version previous. The braking surfaces are fine even in the wet. I've ridden Novatec hubs in all weathers and never had a problem. Get with it.

I clicked the OP's link and the Prime he wants to buy don't have bladed spokes
    left the forum March 2023
  • shiznit76
    @ugo is correct, these are the basic primes, not the black edition with aero apokes
  • But have they got brass nipples?
  • StillGoing

I clicked the OP's link and the Prime he wants to buy don't have bladed spokes
    Odd because my better half has those in disc version on her hybrid and they have aero spokes.
  • shiznit76
    Bought the mavics