Knob Drivers

They're back ...

1/2 dozen close(r) passes - a couple of which I would've reported if my camera was working ...

Bring on the winter / dark commutes!!

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    You reckon they behave worse in the light?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Absolutely - in the dark they can't see you so clearly and any oncoming vehicles aren't clearly outlined either - so they tend to err on the side of caution ... not so when they can see that there's enough room to squeeze past...
    I do commute country roads - no street lights.
  • slowbike
    2 rear lights on - one on flash, the other steady with flash. Very rarely do I not have a rear light on these days - USB charging and long run times are very useful.

Front - I didn't bother with this morning in bright sunshine - as per usual - nobody coming towards me to bother me - it's mounted - I'll need it for the later part of the commute home (although it's not just a flasher - it's a full 1600 lumen light.)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    slowbike said:

They're back ...

1/2 dozen close(r) passes - a couple of which I would've reported if my camera was working ...

FFS. Hope you're ok. And completely agree with this.
    slowbike said:

Absolutely - in the dark they can't see you so clearly and any oncoming vehicles aren't clearly outlined either - so they tend to err on the side of caution ... not so when they can see that there's enough room to squeeze past...

Thankfully, HantsSnap, the Hampshire version of OpCrackdown, appears to be making inroads once a driver's reported - but means you have to go through the entire process of being skimmed to start with, then process video and report which is PITA.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike

slowbike said:

They're back ...

FFS. Hope you're ok. And completely agree with this.
    slowbike said:

Thankfully, HantsSnap, the Hampshire version of OpCrackdown, appears to be making inroads once a driver's reported - but means you have to go through the entire process of being skimmed to start with, then process video and report which is PITA.
    I'm fine - they were close, not handlebar hitting close - but close enough for me to swear - once during the 9mile ride I can cope with, 1/2 dozen is taking the P ... hence the Knob Drivers post.

I'm going to get some new tops made - I've Got Cronovirus, come and get yours ...
    then let's see how much room they give me.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698
    slowbike said:

I'm going to get some new tops made - I've Got Cronovirus, come and get yours ...

:D
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    sounds alot like my commute, though I avoid the unlit country roads, I suspect youd be more likely that the police would stop you for worrying folk with a coronavirus top, than bother dealing with the bad drivers, though they do make Corona lager ones :)https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862806127.html
  • slowbike
    awavey said:

sounds alot like my commute, though I avoid the unlit country roads, I suspect youd be more likely that the police would stop you for worrying folk with a coronavirus top, than bother dealing with the bad drivers, though they do make Corona lager ones :)https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862806127.html

Unlit country roads are fine in the dark - well - the one I use is ... especially during the normal commute times - hit it at weekends or outside commute times and the driving is worse - I think that a) commuters have got used to seeing bikes commuting up and down the road (not that there's many of us) and b) see that we're just commuting too so there's a bit of mutual respect going on ...
  • wolfsbane2k

Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    need to put the noodle on the otherside though ...
  • slowbike
    oxoman said:

Personally id prefer a chaingun, id be prepared to take the weight increase if i had to deal with so many kn##heads.

What I'd like is an EMP disrupter - something that you can aim at the vehicle, pull the trigger - which disables it for 30 minutes ... or am I going to matrix?
  • slowbike
    oxoman said:

I like your thinking, sadly they would still be about to do it again one the vehicle recovers.

but a) I wouldn't be there then .... and b) there'd be a "I've told you once, I'm not going to tell you again" mode .... ;)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    I've got a single track country lane ride on the way back from work.
    I was in a state of shock yesterday when an oncoming driver stopped opposite a passing place so we could pass safely.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722

I've got a single track country lane ride on the way back from work.
    I was in a state of shock yesterday when an oncoming driver stopped opposite a passing place so we could pass safely.

Not all drivers are knobs.
    Most knobs are people though. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • drummer_boy
    drummer_boy Posts: 236
    edited March 2020
    I agree dark = safe for me. Took the scenic route home on Friday and got hit in the local town centre, in day light, with running lights flashing, and my bright yellow Hi-Viz jacket on.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698

I agree dark = safe for me. Took the scenic route home on Friday and got hit in the local town centre, in day light, with running lights flashing, and my bright yellow Hi-Viz jacket on.

SMIDSY?
    Pressing charges? - it is the only way some of them will learn
  • wolfsbane2k
    Going to stick this in here. A road I would normally ride every single day.

https://www.hampshire.police.uk/news/hampshire/news/appeals/2020/april/appeal-for-witnesses-after-collision-in-waterlooville/
    Definitely counts as a knob driver.