Tyre width

Hi - I have 4 seasons 28mm tyres but the rear tyre is rubbing rear brake caliper - I am looking at buying a 25mm for the rear and use the 28mm at the front as there is plenty of fork clearance. IAre there any real problems associated with this approach ? Thanks

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,230
    No
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    It will raise the front of your bike though ...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    slowbike said:

It will raise the front of your bike though ...

By about 1.5mm..??

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    it will be fine, and you'll get to use the tyres youve got. Unless you are flush and fancy both the same. I have a 25mm front and a 23mm rear on my winter bike just because im using up tyres i have lying around and 25mm rubbed on my old school winter frame.

on my summer bike i run a 25mm on the rear and 23 on the front. I can notice a comfort difference on the back and prefer the lightness at the front. though based on the state of the roads at the moment I suspect that bigger will be better for a while
  • In the winter, a bigger front tyre would ordinarily give you more grip, if the front end goes your chance of recovery is low.

But for spring to autumn, put the bigger tyre on rear, for extra comfort from the weight-bearing tyre and also less aero drag from the narrow tyre up front.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo