Stans Dart Tubeless repair

Has anyone used one of these yet?

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Not used those but had cause to use a Maxalami worm last night, easy to use and seems to have done the job. Not on the bike today but sounded like it was fully sealed so I'd be surprised if it hasn't worked.
    https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/tubeless-bits-and-bobs/products/maxalami-tubeless-repair-tube
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Thanks Veronese, I too have used Maxalami worms to good effect, was just wondering how the Stans Dart may compare. Coincidentally I have two sets of wheels built by Malcolm @ Cycleclinic.
  • I'm curious too. Too tight to buy one though. Then I would have to will a puncture on.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Bought one on CRC - if it gets delivered safe and sound - which is another story , I’ll let ya know - providing I get a puncture they is
  • I've had one since the launch and I got a load of spares also. On group rides nobody mentions the P word. The bike can hear you know ;-)
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Got my maxa today based on this thread :)
    Not sure why the thick ones are so long, hopefully I don't need to find out :open_mouth:
  • They're long because you need to push them in as far as you can. Don't put too much pressure in or it will pop out until fully cured.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636

They're long because you need to push them in as far as you can. Don't put too much pressure in or it will pop out until fully cured.

Thanks. I thought they were ready instantly? That's how it came across in the video on cycle clinic, he went to 120psi.
  • Stan’s Dart works!
    Was riding with a mate and his tubeless schwalbe pro didn’t seal. Popped the dart in, took 10 seconds and it worked a treat exactly as I hoped. Blew it up with a CO2 as my pump is crap and it held perfectly.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Stan’s Dart works!
    Was riding with a mate and his tubeless schwalbe pro didn’t seal. Popped the dart in, took 10 seconds and it worked a treat exactly as I hoped. Blew it up with a CO2 as my pump is censored and it held perfectly.

That's good to hear, I was thinking about getting one of these
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221

Stan’s Dart works!
    Was riding with a mate and his tubeless schwalbe pro didn’t seal. Popped the dart in, took 10 seconds and it worked a treat exactly as I hoped. Blew it up with a CO2 as my pump is censored and it held perfectly.

Cheers - I don't suppose you know what sealant he was using?
  • Bought one myself - still waiting on the puncture - using the mavic tyres on one bike - and Schwalbe G ones on a gravel bike .
    Nearly feel like putting a hole in the tyre as it’s getting quite worn now and testing it
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    After a complete nightmare trying to set up some tyres I had llightly used with tubes as tubeless last night and this morning I am looking in to these.

Basically, the tyres had a few minor cuts and after half a bottle of sealant, I concluded they just weren't going to seal (it was only ~2-3mm!). I tried topping up the sealnt and using the worm and 'prong' tool I had (similar to the maxi) and that just made matters worse as it still wouldn't seal but now I had a larger hole and two ends of a worm sticking a 1 cm out of the tyre. I'm now looking at a more foolproof method of fixing tubeless punctures as I clearly don't have the knack for the worms. Looking at either the Dart or the Dynaplug. One question with the Dart is if it actually only works with Stans or if they just say that. I know many of the sealants are essentially the same stuff.
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited March 2020
    Its £20 for the tool and two darts. Then £20 for 5 refills. While I know it works well it's also expensive.

Over the life of an tubeless tyre I would expect 3 to 6 puncture that I need to plugs. Why i puncture so much I dont know but I do. Stans dart would add £12 to £24 to the cost of the tyre for refills alone. O.k I do t pay retail prices but the % price increase is real. Darts make a tubeless tyre about 50% more expensive where as the plugs i buy add 10% if that as the refills are quite cheap in comparison.

To cut that cost i would have retire tyres earlier asthey tend to puncture more with wear which of course means spending more money on tyres a year.

Its too expensive and makes tubeless so pricey that going back to inner tubes is viable.

Tubeless save me money due to the lower overal cost of tyres as I get longer life from them. Stans dart like dynaplugs tips the balance the other way.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Yeah, but even the DART refills are £4 each which is cheaper than an inner tube. Ok, there is an outlay for the tool but if it works, and is lighter, cheaper and more reliable than inner tube then happy days. I just can't seem to get the hang of the worms, I struggle to get them into the tool and I have never find them to work that well.

Dynaplug has a higher initial outlay but is only ~ £8 for 5 refills rather than £20 so significantly cheaper than the DART.
  • Plugs do work but the mistake people make is over inflating. With a plug sealant helps alot. The selant has a gluing effect. If there is none in tour tyre or not enough squeeze some in. Or use flexible super glue and smear some over the hole before inserting the plug. Vulcanising rubber cement should also work but it takes more time.

Then pump up with a hand pump and watch the plug. If the plug starts migrating out loose 5 psi. If there sealant present and you if use flexible.super glue plugs can hold high pressures initially.theh often dont if it a plug in a hole and all the selant is dried up. Ride at that ower pressure after 24hrs you will be able to inflate to a higher pressure probably 80 psi again if you run them that high. While dynaplug and stans dart maybe more idiot proof, plugs are not that hard to use.

Inner tubes can be patched which makes tubes cheaper. Tyre repair solution that cost as much as a tyre are a bit much.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Was out Sat on my Cannondale CAADX 2015, been knocking out the 100k runs twice a week to try and build some fitness after finally getting over a bad mtb dismount!
    Notice my rear tubeless G1 speed was showing carcass but thought I could squeeze a quick 50k, not even half way hisssss and pool of Stans fluid, Thorn I think through the sidewall, not sure it was going to seal, didn't want to risk a blow out so got out Stans DART and stabbed the tyre, in she went fluid still coming out but gave a quick pump to maybe 40 psi then rode for a mile to get the fluid circulating, stopped and pumped up to 60 odd psi, I carry a medium sized Topeak pump with gauge.
    Took it easy for 20+ k home, with these unsettled times. When home pumped up to 75 psi my usual running pressure.
    I was lucky as my 30 mm tyre plus a large plug sticking out could pass through the chainstays without getting dragged out.
    10/10 from me. Only my 2nd puncture, that required stopping in about 6 or 7000 miles.
    G1 speed 30mm on Hed Belgium rims with Hope Pro2 evo hubs

• skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Got a puncture this morning that wouldn't seal and I can report that the Stand Dart worked a treat. It's holding air much better than the previous worms I've used.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    edited October 2020
    Bought GP5000TL from Malcom as soon as they were released (my first foray into tubeless). Also bought Maxalami from him.

Second ride, un-sealable hole in my new £50 tyre.

Used maxalami and low pressure to get me home. Topped up sealant (via Milkit - also highly recommended). Left overnight, pumped up to pressure and has been sound ever since. 3000km on that tyre since then. Doesn't loose any more pressure than the rear.