So COVID 19 and your sportive

So I’ve entered the Fred and Velo Brum and I’m wondering if it’s likely that these events will be cancelled due to the spread of the virus.

Cases are multiplying in the UK and informed opinion from the medical profession suggests we are heading for an epidemic in the UK, Italy has closed all schools to slow the spread so maybe a sight of things to come?

Whilst the virus puts the usual day to day stuff into a better perspective I just can’t see any mass events such as a sportive going ahead

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It will depend on the size. If thousands are packed tight into starting pens for up to an hour like RSL100 I wouldnt fancy it. Its really only the start line and feed stations where there is a proximity risk.

Vigourous exercise in the open air isn't going to attract people with symptoms. Carriers without symtoms will be hard to avoid anywhere.

I think many organisers will panic and cancel events but others may just offer easier cancellation terms for riders that are spooked by the virus.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Can't you just do the FW on any day ? Even better without the crowds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    edited March 2020
    I'd imagine that you can do it pretty much any day, with even less crowds. 😉

Edit - Your edit beat me to it. 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I'm meant to riding to belgium for the gent wevelgum this month. I'm hoping the Belgians wont panic.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • fenix
    I'm meant to be doing the Etape this year. If we can travel I'll still do it from a GPS track if it's cancelled.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I'm still getting ads for Sportives on Facebook everyday (including Etape UK) so there doesn't seem to be any panic going on.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    We're due to go skiing in the next couple of weeks - fortunately, it's in france and not italy ... but there's still a concern we may pick it up. Again, fortunately, we're healthy enough, so if it does happen it's likely to be just the inconvenience of flu - but it would mean isolation on our return which wouldn't be so easy. But hey ...

Sportives - feed stations would be a major contact point - flu viruses can survive on contact surfaces for some time - feed stations are not usually the cleanest of places - and I've never seen a cyclist wash their hands before picking up some food or refilling their bottle ...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,235
    CSM active have quite a history of cancelling events, so Velo Birmingham is a safe bet, it will definitively get cancelled should Covid19 still be a threat. FWC is a smaller event and in principle it could be run, changing the way riders start, allocating 10 minute slots throughout the morning. Say 6-9 AM you've got 18 slots, each will probably have no more than 50-100 riders, assuming show up on the day will naturally self-curb. During the ride itself, you are mostly on your own, so it's not an issue. Feeding zones are barely manned and rarely busy, they would be even less busy if you stagger the start. Finish could be low key, with no reason to hang around, just grab your goodie bag and off you go
    left the forum March 2023
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333

I'm meant to riding to belgium for the gent wevelgum this month. I'm hoping the Belgians wont panic.

Likewise. I've also signed up for Paris Roubaix.
  • fenix
    mrfpb said:

I'm still getting ads for Sportives on Facebook everyday (including Etape UK) so there doesn't seem to be any panic going on.

I'm not sure Facebook Ads would be a good source of information.
    The ads are paid for. The Sportives need the funds. Nobody really knows what will happen.

I'm sure the ads aren't updated daily.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    Feeding zones not being manned is not the point. If you are trying to dissuade lots of people from touching the same surfaces without washing their hands before and after, sportive feed stations generally are not ideal places.

I wouldn't think that the troughs of food are ideal hygienically anyway with the amount of people sticking their gloved hands in there after wiping their noses (and not washing their hands after going to the loo).
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Just think of all the snot rockets in the pack :*
  • ugo.santalucia

Feeding zones not being manned is not the point. If you are trying to dissuade lots of people from touching the same surfaces without washing their hands before and after, sportive feed stations generally are not ideal places.

I wouldn't think that the troughs of food are ideal hygienically anyway with the amount of people sticking their gloved hands in there after wiping their noses (and not washing their hands after going to the loo).

Could have plastic bowls with an individual portion of banana or a flapjack, once it's used it's dumped in a bucket with a sterilising solution, then washed and re-filled for the next rider. Where there's a will, there's a way... the thing is as an organiser you tend to lean on the side of over-caution to avoid problems and you are keen to cancel
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208
    Or just have loos, bins and water, and an opportunity to wash your hands.

You don't really need food provided for you on most sportives.
  • fenix
    I'd definitely be looking to be as self sufficient as possible.

It's been great in the past on crappily organised sportives with huge queues at feed stations.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    fenix said:

I'd definitely be looking to be as self sufficient as possible.

Good idea, and a lot cheaper than paying to ride a sportive.

• ugo.santalucia
    ... but not easy at the FWC... it's quite rural and you're on the bike for 8-9 hours
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,587
    I'm signed up for the Tour of Flanders, and at this point in time, I'm fairly convinced it wont happen. With Italy cancelling all sporting events and France now stopping anything with 1000+ attendees, I don't see Belgium ignoring it. And then there is the matter of teams possibly still pulling out ...
    We wait and see!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ugo.santalucia
    Agree, don't think it will happen
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Supposed to also be in Belgium for G-W, and currently thinking its 20-30% we'll be on the start-line. Even if the organisers don't cancel, cant be sure what the situation will be like in the UK travel-wise.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • fenix

... but not easy at the FWC... it's quite rural and you're on the bike for 8-9 hours

Pubs ! In fact I was up there walking last year and the route went past the pub I was staying at. A cracking day for it.

Someone on Twitter was saying that even cycling is forbidden in Italy. Unless you're a pro or cycling to work. Seems a bit draconian to me.

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    fenix said:

Someone on Twitter was saying that even cycling is forbidden in Italy. Unless you're a pro or cycling to work. Seems a bit draconian to me.

Cycling is not forbidden in Italy during the current lockdown. Neither is walking on the street, riding a moped, driving a car or taking the bus. People are being asked to avoid doing so if they can - which many are adhering to - but it's not banned.

Feel free to watch a web cam outside Milan train station or the Piazza della Signoria in Florence and play spot the cyclists

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/lombardia/milano/milano-stazione.html
    https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/toscana/firenze/piazza-signoria.html

As for sportives – the Velo Birmingham is late June, the Etape is in July and Ride London is in the middle of August. I thinks it’s highly unlikely that any of these will be cancelled. Even a two month lockdown in the UK means back to business in May.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I take it back - they've now asked people to refrain from 'sports' cycling in Italy. It's to avoid potential accidents that might require hospital treatment. There's no time or space to fix broken riders.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,587
    Tour of Flanders sportive postponed.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Gent-Wevelgum postoned to April 19th. thats optimistic. I am cannceling my arbnb and ferry and wont bother rebokking anything.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Dirty Reiver still going ahead next month as things stand.

They are now having a staggered start rather than a bunch start and are talking about various other measures such as food in sealed bags at the feed stops.
  • It wont go ahead. Mass gathering are about to be banned.

The race I am organising in may might have to be axed. In the current environment no one going to enter and that axes it.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • I've signed up for Liege, which is at the end of April so not covered by the current set of cancellations. But I can't see it going ahead. They're hoping to run the Tour of Flanders sportive later in the year, so maybe they'll do the same for Liege. If we're all still alive then of course
  • I would not book anything now. Further more my holiday in August is probably done for for one reason Airlines will fold. Malta has e ded tourism insisting all visitors are quarantined for 2 weeks. Therefore how is air malta who we are flying with going to survive.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk