Garmin 830 turning off issues.

Anyone else having the problem of Garmin seemingly switching itself off after a ride but going into sleep mode? I sometimes forget to switch the Garmin off after a ride then the screen goes blank and I forget all about it, bit of a ball ache when you go to use it again and the battery is flat, also having an issue when i do power it down the off button just stays on the screen.

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,417
    I have the same issue on my 820. Both issues. A real PITA!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    It's happened twice with my 530.
    I originally thought it might be a power loss problem when switched off but it hasn't happened since I've been making sure to switch off after each ride so I guess it had gone into sleep mode.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    My old 520 did this and was eventually replaced by Garmin.

Check software is up to date, and may be post on the Garmin forums, but if it happens again I would raise it with Garmin (assuming it's within warranty period).
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    Yes, my 830s, the original one and the replacement with the latest firmware, have the same problem. The issue happened on my original one I bought during the last Dec. I left it in the garage but the unit just slept instead of turning off after I push the power bottom, and can't switch on the next day. I replaced it after the third time it happened in just one week. The new unit also has the same problem but less often. Now I'm always choosing "power off" instead of just pushing the power button to switch off the unit.

It only happened in winter so far (I bought 830 in June last year). May be related to low temperature.
  • It happened to me too. CNt member how I solved it.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    My 530 once went to sleep mid ride... turned back on and all was fine... didn't lose data or anything
    left the forum March 2023
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have never switched off my 830 by the power button only, but a combination of long press on power button then press power off on screen, and from memory that's the way I've always done it from the 800, 1000 and now the 830.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    flasher said:

I have never switched off my 830 by the power button only, but a combination of long press on power button then press power off on screen, and from memory that's the way I've always done it from the 800, 1000 and now the 830.

That's the way I do it, but sometimes forget because screen goes blank once you have stopped ride.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Which means it’s gone into sleep mode. Wake it by pressing the power button and switch off properly by pressing the power button and then power off on screen.