eBay USA

Does anybody have experience of buying off eBay USA? I’m talking import duties or taxes and can deals be had?

Comments

• The biggest problem I’ve found with eBay.com or rather American suppliers is their reluctance to post to the UK so it’s handy having a friend stateside that is willing to post goods onwards. No problems with customs thus far doing it this way.
  • Look on ebay UK site and include USA in your search results. Usually give postage prices to UK. Depending what you are looking for taxes may not be needed
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have just bought a bit of golfing gear from a USA seller on Ebay UK. The stuff cost £88 including P&P. I had to pay Royal Mail £ 22 for VAT and a handling charge before they would deliver. Still a great buy. I have bought things from USA in the past and paid no VAT or import duty.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I've found it hit and miss buying stuff privately from the States. Some items have attracted customs and some not. No discernible pattern.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • lesfirth said:

...The stuff cost £88 including P&P. I had to pay Royal Mail £ 22 for VAT and a handling charge before they would deliver.

So the VAT (at current rates) was £17.60 (you could argue that, you shouldn’t pay VAT for the carriage paid stateside, as this was a service provided abroad. But I digress) making the so called handling charge £4.40 which is a cheek IMHO
    You might of gathered, I don’t much like these random charges
  • Notice 143: a guide for international post users:

The whole of Notice 143 from gov.uk can be read here
    https://gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users