Saris Bones and car bodytwork

I am thinking about getting a bike rack but as I rent car I am concerned that it may mark the bodywork.

Where I live there is very limited choice and the most commonly available is a Saris Bones.

Can anyone comment on their experience with a "bones" and their car body work?

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I use their "gran fondo" bike rack.

I make sure the feet and the bootlid are clean before I use it. I keep meaning to stick some paint protection film where it sits but so far it hasn't made any marks.

If you have a long term rental, then look at getting the areas wrapped with clear ppf, or even give it a go yourself. You can pick it up cheap now, it's super easy to do and you remove the risk of paint damage completely
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Also do the same where the hooks clip onto the boot - my car is scuffed because the paint wore away on the hooks (and it's a really tight fit in the gap).
    If the gap in the panels is big enough, you can stick some inner tube on the hooks to protect the bodywork a bit.
  • Have you considered a standard roof rack that accepts a compatible bike carrier? Little chance of damaging paintwork with one of those.

You do of course have to then remember that you are carrying a bike when confronted with a low barrier!
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I used a Saris bones for the two years I had a Hyundai i30 on lease... No problems at all, handed it back with no marks and no fees incurred.

As mentioned, keep the feet clean, keep the paintwork it sits on clean, and you'll be fine. And make the straps as tight as you possibly can so there is no movement when you're driving. My trick was to tighten it, load the bikes, tighten again.

I prefer the tow bar carrier I have now, but if your car can't take a tow bar, it's the next best thing.
  • Anyone know where to buy spare straps? Most places are 'out of stock's. I have a old version and the lower hooks are large metal hooks for under car attachment not the boot lid. Be ok with last two cars but BMW has sod all to attach to.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Thanks guys.

Roof rack is probably too expensive plus if I get a bones I can bring it home with me.

Super_Davo - great feedback. Looks like I'll go and get one.

Anyone know where to buy spare straps? Most places are 'out of stock's. I have a old version and the lower hooks are large metal hooks for under car attachment not the boot lid. Be ok with last two cars but BMW has sod all to attach to.

https://www.saris.com/product/replacement-bones-straps