Bring a bike back from USA

I’ve been in the USA working for 4months and bought a 2nd hand bike for $800. I got a bargain (it was worth way more) and have fallen in love so wanna bring it back to the UK. Any tips or ideas? Shipping is ridiculously expensive whilst buying a bike flight bag + $200 airline costs + import taxes (is this 30% value?) are looking pricey. Anyone found a cheaper way or loopholes? HELP!!! 🙏🏻

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    A couple of thoughts.

Get a cardboard box from a bike shop. It will be free and spend a few bucks on tape and padding. You can't avoid the flight costs.

Look at a bike bag as an investment rather than a cost and use it to go on cycle holidays.

If you travel with the bike as luggage it is unlikely you will be stopped for duty as you could have taken the bike out with you.

However I THINK that that duty stops being charged if the goods are over a certain age. For vehicles I think it's 8 years. Not sure about a bike but Google will help.

Sell it and buy the same model when you get home. If it was a real bargain you will get your money back.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I'd be really surprised if you were stopped by Customs when you arrive in the UK. They're really not bothered about someone bringing a second-hand bike worth $800 into the country.

I'd do as navrig suggests - sling it in a cardboard bike box and check it in as part of your luggage allowance.
  • Good suggestions - thanks guys.

I'll look into a 2nd hand bike bag but I haven't found a decent 2nd hand website options yet. Any recommendations? I'll have hammered the bike for 4 months before bringing it back so I'm not sure how I'd value it. Trying to google specifics but it's mainly about shipping new items which I'm not doing.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    jsfroude said:

Good suggestions - thanks guys.

I'll look into a 2nd hand bike bag but I haven't found a decent 2nd hand website options yet. Any recommendations? I'll have hammered the bike for 4 months before bringing it back so I'm not sure how I'd value it. Trying to google specifics but it's mainly about shipping new items which I'm not doing.

You won't get stopped, and in any case for second hand goods you won't exactly have a paper trail either way. As far as anyone else knows it could just be your bike you took with you, especially if it is a bit battered. They don't have time to waste stopping people bringing battered bikes back into the country and questioning them on their provenance.