Milan - San Remo and the Giro to be Cancelled?

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited February 2020 in Pro race
Both Pro 14 matches in Italy next weekend have already been postponed, as sporting bodies react to the spread of Coronavirus as the fear of a pandemic grows and Italy having reported a fourth death.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/giro-ditalia/milan-san-remo-tirreno-adriatico-and-giro-ditalia-all-under-threat-after-italy-coronavirus-outbreak-449873
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    edited February 2020
    Sure we could put together a route over here to replace MSR, say from Birmingham to Bournemouth!

Cancellation of those races would leave a gaping hole in race schedules.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Well must admit I wasn't expecting that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Given that many bike components are made in China I wonder if there'll be an impact on availability of bikes or certain components as I imagine that factories in the affected areas have been closed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    It would be such a shame.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

Sure we could put together a route over here to replace MSR, say from Birmingham to Bournemouth!

Stranger things happen:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51615062
    India will host the archery and shooting events at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, six months before the main event in Birmingham.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348

Cancellation of those races would leave a gaping hole in race schedules.

🤣🤣🤣 Funny innit that that's actually all it is but somehow it gets infused with such mystical resonance
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mauro Vegni says: “If the government stops sporting events in Milan and Lombardy, we will have to cancel [Milano-Sanremo], it makes no sense to move the start 20 or 50 kilometers. The course has been the way it is for 110 years.” ( from https://cyclingtips.com/2020/02/milano-sanremo-other-italian-races-at-risk-of-cancellation-due-to-coronavirus/ )

They all got on a bus for a bit in the middle a few years ago, so I don't understand his logic. Better to change it than abandon the race if that's an option, surely.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

Mauro Vegni says: “If the government stops sporting events in Milan and Lombardy, we will have to cancel [Milano-Sanremo], it makes no sense to move the start 20 or 50 kilometers. The course has been the way it is for 110 years.” ( from https://cyclingtips.com/2020/02/milano-sanremo-other-italian-races-at-risk-of-cancellation-due-to-coronavirus/ )

They all got on a bus for a bit in the middle a few years ago, so I don't understand his logic. Better to change it than abandon the race if that's an option, surely.

There's other more practical considerations such has hotel rooms, travel to the race via airports etc. There's a bit more to it than painting a line on the road. It's better to run it in the autumn.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Mauro Vegni says: “If the government stops sporting events in Milan and Lombardy, we will have to cancel [Milano-Sanremo], it makes no sense to move the start 20 or 50 kilometers. The course has been the way it is for 110 years.” ( from https://cyclingtips.com/2020/02/milano-sanremo-other-italian-races-at-risk-of-cancellation-due-to-coronavirus/ )

There's other more practical considerations such has hotel rooms, travel to the race via airports etc. There's a bit more to it than painting a line on the road. It's better to run it in the autumn.
    That's fair. I can't see things getting much calmer in the next couple of weeks.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584

RichN95. said:

That's fair. I can't see things getting much calmer in the next couple of weeks.
    The alternative is that the virus spreads and everything gets cancelled.
    Not an enticing prospect (including holidays) but a possibility.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Finally booked to go to Garda and a couple of days in Venice after intending to do it for the past few years so really hoping it gets controlled soon.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    edited February 2020
    I hope the quarantines work I think sport cancellations may not be the worst thing to happen this year.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    They won’t run it in autumn. If it doesn’t happen it won’t happen for 2020
  • RichN95.

Why not? They've got other Italian races going on at that time. A little shuffling and it can go ahead.
  • Is Tirreno under threat do we know?
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Why not? They've got other Italian races going on at that time. A little shuffling and it can go ahead.
    It's a total faff. They won't do it (and the RCS said as much).
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873

Is Tirreno under threat do we know?

I believe so.
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2020

Is Tirreno under threat do we know?

I believe so.

It takes place below the Pisa-Florence-San Marino line that the Foreign office say is OK, but I imagine a lot of teams may pull out even if it goes ahead.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2020
    imagine of one person on the team, rider or support staff get ill, the whole team would be quarantined. good job the warmer weather is coming, it might help curb the spread.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    This virus is less contagious than flu and only slightly more deadly. Over the past couple of months flu will have killed far more people globally than this virus has. If it had originated in the west no one would think anything of it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    gsk82 said:

This virus is less contagious than flu and only slightly more deadly. Over the past couple of months flu will have killed far more people globally than this virus has. If it had originated in the west no one would think anything of it.

What nonsense are you talking now?

It's much more deadly (roughly 20x according to infection vs death rates) and much more contagious if you look at how many people one infected person can transmit to.

Plus, we have a known vaccine for the flu and we don't for coronavirus, plus we understand what flu is and how it works but there is no understanding nor any assurance that corona virus won't mutate further.

Stop talking nonsense.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    I posted a stats based criticism to gsk82's comment, but it was deemed to require moderation.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I posted a stats based criticism to gsk82's comment, but it was deemed to require moderation.

Lots of links perhaps? Not really sure what the post quarantine rules are...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503

Lots of links perhaps? Not really sure what the post quarantine rules are...
    Who knows. It showed in that in 9% of "closed cases" death was the outcome. 19% of active cases are considered "serious or critical". That excludes all the cases that were sufficiently mild they were never reported though.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    So in the last 48 hours Covid 19 has been transmitted from Italy to Croatia and Austria and from Iran to Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Oman and Bahrain. It has also popped up in Sicily today.

So I wouldn't expect any mass public events planned in the next 30 days in Northern Italy (or even Italy as a whole) to go ahead.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    mrfpb said:

So I wouldn't expect any mass public events planned in the next 30 days in Northern Italy (or even Italy as a whole) to go ahead.

I'm due Italy in a few weeks - they need to get their backsides in gear and cure this thing.

You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:
    Film spoiler.

I've got to say from what I remember, the entire climax of that film is a bit rubbish; the doctor touches her eye absentmindedly and now she's going to die too. Not necessarily great on screen.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    and now its in the ineos cyclic island tenarife https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51627597
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    IIRC there is company in the UK researching treatment who think they may have a solution by July.
    If so, there is going to be a lot more grief before relief.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.