Tyre choice decision......ahhhh

Geraghtytoe
Geraghtytoe Posts: 3
edited February 2020 in Road general
I can't decide on which tyre to buy, next May I will do my first ultra bike race, 1500km, 90% road then some gravel. I run Specialized Fatboy Slick's,45mm but I am thinking 38mm Schwalbe Marathon or something hardier Riddler. Can anyone offer me some advice from personal experience of tyre choice with altering surfaces, cheers.

Comments

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    You'll want something fast rolling mainly slick so WTB Horizon/Byway or Vittoria Terrano Zero would be quick on road and still give you some off road traction on corners
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    edited February 2020
    Check out Jonas Deichmann, currently doing some serious dirt road stuff through Jordan. You can find him on Farcebook. Running Schwalbe G-one Ultrabrite. Given that man's palmares, check out his kit.

Edit. Misread your 90% road as 90% offroad! However suggestion to check out J Deichmann's kit choices still valid. E.g. he did Cape to Cape (North Cape to Cape Town) last year so must have been through all conditions.
  • Thanks, I have been using Schwalbe but have been looking at WTB, I follow Jonas on Instagram, looks amazing. I am always zooming in on pictures of bikes to check out their tyres😃😃
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Marathon will be very sturdy but not the fastest. Might be worth it if you want to avoid flats.
  • Geraghtytoe
    Geraghtytoe Posts: 3
    edited February 2020
    Fenix I think I am heading in that direction.
  • shimanobottombracket
    edited February 2020
    orraloon said:

Check out Jonas Deichmann, currently doing some serious dirt road stuff through Jordan. You can find him on Farcebook. Running Schwalbe G-one Ultrabrite. Given that man's palmares, check out his kit.

Edit. Misread your 90% road as 90% offroad! However suggestion to check out J Deichmann's kit choices still valid. E.g. he did Cape to Cape (North Cape to Cape Town) last year so must have been through all conditions.

How the fuck did you manage that? You saw 3 letters that weren't actually there but, never mind. The really weird bit is if you misread it, how would you know you misread it? You obviously had to have read it again. Who reads a comment again AFTER they have posted a reply to it!!?
  • orraloon said:

How the censored did you manage that? You saw 3 letters that weren't actually there but, never mind. The really weird bit is if you misread it, how would you know you misread it? You obviously had to have read it again. Who reads a comment again AFTER they have posted a reply to it!!?
    WOW that came from nowhere :D