New Wheels. Cero AR30s or something else?

I think this is the year I will finally buy some new wheels, for no other reason than I want to.

I currently have a 2017 BMC TeamMachine SLR02, with Shimano RS11s on it. I'm currently looking at Cero AR30 EVOs which appear to be very well reviewed, and very affordable at £299. If what I read is true there should be both a weight and aero advantage over the RS11s

Any thoughts on the AR30s, or alternative suggestions?

I'm 76kg and the BMC only comes out when the weather is good, and I like to ride it in the Chiltern Hills on sunny days. The rest of the time I ride a 2012 Giant Defy with mud guards and a pannier rack, and stick to the flat.

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Check out the prime wheels on wiggle. Not aero but are pretty light.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-attaquer-road-wheelset/

Or slightly heavier (but much cheaper)
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-baroudeur-se-road-wheelset/

I would also keep an eye out for some campag zondas / fulcrum 3s as there are usually some great deals to be had on those for a similar price.
  • I've had AR30s for a few years, they have been reliable, comfortable and light- very good value for money. I had a minor buckle in the rear wheel due to being knocked off but was cheap to have it straightened in the shop. I also had the bearings in the rear wheel adjusted recently, again cheap and simple to do. I ride slowly up hills rather than fast on the flat so can't comment on how effective the aero rims are
    I want to climb hills so badly;
    and I climb hills so badly
  • tjw_78
    tjw_78 Posts: 41
    Considering what wheels to potentially purchase certain feels like following Alice down the rabbit hole. For everyone who says something good about a wheel-set there is always someone who says there is some issue. While that probably reflects the truth (i.e. nothing is perfect), there is very little consensus. The online magazines only tend to review stuff they are sent, and despite their protestations, are almost certainly bias (even if it is unconscious) towards certain brands.

Popped into 2 LBSs today (while my wife was trawling the charity shops for a vase - grandparents had the kids - what freedom!). One told me Hunts were wonderful, the other swore blind that I needed to up my budget and get some Reynolds. Guess what they each stocked?

Anyway, I think the Cero AR30s still look a very good option. Hunt Race Aeros (Wide) also look good (at a similar price point). I see a lot of votes for Zonda's, so I guess they should be on the list. And Ksyrium Elites.

It should also be recognised that I don't race, and so my pace (or lack there of) is really completely irrelevant, except in beating my mates to the coffee shop and up the hills (still important aged 41). So, lets be honest, I want a set of wheels that look great on my bike, without causing me any problems. And so I'd like some rim depth, c.30-40mm. But I still want to be quickest on the hills. Not hard, I'm 76kgs, and none of my mates (also 40+) are anywhere near that light!
  • Finally got new wheels. Borg 50Cs. Very happy with them! Process of buying them was, err, interesting...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    tjw_78 said:

Finally got new wheels. Borg 50Cs. Very happy with them! Process of buying them was, err, interesting...

Don't be coy. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I have a pair and am very pleased with them, understand what you mean by interesting but Malcolm knows his stuff, even if he is a bit Marmite!
    I have three sets of wheels built by him.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    yellowv2 said:

I have a pair and am very pleased with them, understand what you mean by interesting but Malcolm knows his stuff, even if he is a bit Marmite!

What ever Malcom says is 100% correct and you must never dare to suggest otherwise!
  • lesfirth said:

yellowv2 said:

I have a pair and am very pleased with them, understand what you mean by interesting but Malcolm knows his stuff, even if he is a bit Marmite!

What ever Malcom says is 100% correct and you must never dare to suggest otherwise!
    This is true!