friday cheering on the pineapples as they devour the foolish

'ning

coffee shall overcome all, untangle complexity, spurn webexes, bail
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning ,noticeably cooler this morning , dog walked, shopping and being a general dogsbody later
    Have a good day
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Morning. is indeed slightly more brisk than usual, seemed to go that way last night to be honest.
    Anyway more numbers and TV watching for weirdness if I can be bothered.
    Chinese later wont be asking if they have Corona on tap etc, seen in the news they are going to be phasing out coal and wet wood for home fuel burning. I get why, but what morons been burning wet wood :D also a bit nostalgic.
    The smell of burning coal takes me back to being a kid an just seems right walking along a frosty road first thing with that smell in the background. Now it'll be heatpumps and milkfloat sounding EV's boo hiss.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, tested my new jacket out in a soggy snow storm yesterday, great stuff. Leaving for stag at 12. Bored.
  • step83
    oxoman said:

Step your forgetting we will need millions of hamsters and hamster wheel generators for powering said milk floats. We will also need big gardens for the coils required for heat pumps or mega deep drilling rigs for compact ones in small gardens. Another alternative is we go back hundreds of years and live and work locally and eat only seasonal food grown locally of course.

Can you stop talking sense please, you'll upset the Millennial's and their avocado based needs.

Thinking about it, I'm not doing to bad on seasonal foods, pancakes are seasonal...
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    oxoman said:

Step, I'm definitely not talking sense. I come from an era of coal fires, garden bonfires, no recycling, lead in petrol, diesels where really dirty back then, no auto chokes or dpf filters or catalytic converters, lead based paint. Walking to school tasting the petrol in the air from manual car chokes left out. No internet or mobile phones. Surprisingly I never knew anyone who had asthma until I was 18. What's changed.

Asthma was correctly diagnosed?
  • I can't see the reason to burn wet wood anyway, it's just pointless and no doubt someone will be along soon to tell me that all coal is being banned so I can't use it even though I don't and use smokeless multi fuel imitation coal.

Last day today for me so tidying up some bits and getting a hair cut.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Morning folks,
    But not for long and it probably won't be when I finish typing this. Today being Fryday I will be attempting to eat my own weight in fried pig, no pineapples. Pizza tonight, again with no pineapple. Pineapple on pizza is an abhorration. I think I spelt that right so why is it underlined in red?
    I had hayfever as a kid and still do, difference being I didn't give a stuff and just ran around with a snotty nose. As a teenager I knew it was hayfever. I had a few friends with asthma so is Oxo so old they didn't know what asthma was? But I grew up in London so it may have been more prevalent, not that I know where Oxo grew up or how old he is.
    But it's known that asthma is on the rise and also obesity rates. I don't know the figures but there are more diesel vehicles now than there were when I was a kid and I believe a diesel is still worse for most emissions than a petrol engine. In Europe the focus was solely on carbon which is only one problem.
    Wobbled in this morning having been lazy yesterday, cold and a touch blowy but at least it was dry.
  • Showery and cooler today. Miscellaneous meh tasks including grocery shopping and more.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    step83 said:

oxoman said:

Step your forgetting we will need millions of hamsters and hamster wheel generators for powering said milk floats. We will also need big gardens for the coils required for heat pumps or mega deep drilling rigs for compact ones in small gardens. Another alternative is we go back hundreds of years and live and work locally and eat only seasonal food grown locally of course.

Can you stop talking sense please, you'll upset the Millennial's and their avocado based needs.

Thinking about it, I'm not doing to bad on seasonal foods, pancakes are seasonal...
    Sod that lot. Which reminds me, must take my 4 wheeled V-sign to the tree huggers for a spin tomorrow, just for the fun of it. After all, the sooner the world runs out of oil, the sooner we'll have to drive milk floats, right? >:)

I cycled into the office today, so I'm now hugging a tree while deciding what to stuff my face with. Decisions, decisions...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • step83
    oxoman said:

Step, I'm definitely not talking sense. I come from an era of coal fires, garden bonfires, no recycling, lead in petrol, diesels where really dirty back then, no auto chokes or dpf filters or catalytic converters, lead based paint. Walking to school tasting the petrol in the air from manual car chokes left out. No internet or mobile phones. Surprisingly I never knew anyone who had asthma until I was 18. What's changed.

mmm four star. An you'd have known you had asthma if you have the internet, you could have used webMD an been told you had stage 18 cancer! Probably actually consumption but who knows.

Stevo, I hope your tree is ethically sourced and was asked if it identified as a tree and was OK with being in an office. I may take the dieselgate for a drive at the weekend, I dont fancy trying to carry fence posts on a bike. Could be a new sport though, bicycle jousting...

On allergies and obesity, I really don't recall either being too much of an issue at school, OK there was always someone who was a bit chubby or had an allergy to say dogs, but theres a girl here whos that allergic to oranges you can't peel one round her as the smell gives her a reaction, boggles the mind how these people survive. Saying that I can't digest lactose, technically speaking thats not an allergy but its still classed as one.

Homer, coals being phased out Feb next year, well for residential I think, so no more bagged coal as a last resort unless you keep one stashed. There a shop in the next village scuppered its literally all he sells.
    An wet wood, yeah never use it, clogs everything up an burns badly, I think they are on mainly about the net bags of wood you can pick up. The compressed burner blocks with the hole in middle are find as is seasoned wood.
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2020
    step83 said:

Stevo, I hope your tree is ethically sourced and was asked if it identified as a tree and was OK with being in an office. I may take the dieselgate for a drive at the weekend, I dont fancy trying to carry fence posts on a bike. Could be a new sport though, bicycle jousting...

Step, I've decided I'm going to self-identify as a multi-millionaire celebrity, so I can rock up to George Clooney's mansion on the shores of Lake Como and stay in it this weekend.

As for diesels, hope you're not trying to sell it anytime soon. Can't seem to give them away based on my experience when I sold my old oil burner last year.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Far too much work for a Friday from home. Laptop lid is nearly closed, just waiting for some crap to come through.

Later is into town as the kids are at mothers
  • step83
    Stevo_666 said:

step83 said:

Step, I've decided I'm going to self-identify as a multi-millionaire celebrity, so I can rock up to George Clooney's mansion on the shores of Lake Como and stay in it this weekend.

As for diesels, hope you're not trying to sell it anytime soon. Can't seem to give them away based on my experience when I sold my old oil burner last year.
    I think we should all do that, no one will notice I'm sure.

No I'll be keeping mine for a good few years yet, its not even ran in properly, its a 59 plate with 82k on it! I'll get ride when tax/fuel/running costs get too much. Not sure what as yet, will be smaller than the estate I have now though.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

V68 east midlands based and born in 65.

Yay, you're older than us (just) :p
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    edited February 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Who is this 'us' of whom you speak?

Anyway, a good day as had much better than expected review with consultant in the ever excellent Oxford Eye Hospital on this ongoing retinal issue. Feared bad news, got a thumbs up, is improving. A further set of injections to come, see if can get the body to finally repair itself. Now into my 4th year of treatments. Love your NHS people; don't let the fascists damage it.
  • veronese68
    Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

That’s what I was thinking. Not enough difference for statistical variation but enough that we can extract the urine in about 5 years ;)
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

Why, jealous I'll be retired 7yrs earlier than most. Already working what feels like part-time at times as well.
    Good news O, I'm squeamish over my eyes having had foreign objects removed so you've really been through it.

Not jealous, unless you get a really good quality Zimmer as a retirement pressie :)
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Who is this 'us' of whom you speak?

Anyway, a good day as had much better than expected review with consultant in the ever excellent Oxford Eye Hospital on this ongoing retinal issue. Feared bad news, got a thumbs up, is improving. A further set of injections to come, see if can get the body to finally repair itself. Now into my 4th year of treatments. Love your NHS people; don't let the fascists damage it.
    Good luck, but don't knock BUPA ;)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    In a random bar (henry tudors for the geeks) and unexpectedly some distant family friends are the live band, anyone know if it’s Ben or Tim playing the keyboard
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    asthma wasnt diagnosed, though some would argue it still isnt properly, as readily as it is now, Ive had it since I was born,but I was well into my later teens before I was even prescribed an inhaler to use, my parents were always told I just had colic or she'll just grow out of it and ignore it. fortunately its only ever been a mild/moderate, so it just meant I was always last in sports,along with the fat kids, so yeah they existed too, rather than really life threatening
  • veronese68
    oxoman said:

Why, jealous I'll be retired 7yrs earlier than most.

Not in the slightest, tongue was firmly in cheek. 3 years makes bugger all difference at our age.

• oxoman said:

... and born in 65....

Meh. Kids these days...
  • Stevo_666
    Who's going to win the old fart competition? WS is out in front at the moment :)
  • Fairly sure it's not me either *cough* Bally *cough*
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

Fairly sure it's not me either *cough* Bally *cough*

He would cough too except that may induce momentary seepage.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

Don't beleive that, he uses tena for men. :D

You seem very knowledgeable on the subject Oxo?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I can honestly say that I have never soiled myself drunk. (Plenty of puking though :) )
    If you do that when you have a skinfull, then you've drunk to much.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Tenners?
    You youngsters can send me all the tenners you want.
  • step83
    Well, suddenly I feel all young, I'm a mere child at 36...
  • Stevo_666
    step83 said:

Well, suddenly I feel all young, I'm a mere child at 36...

Blimey Step, next thing you'll be telling us you still have acne.