thursday in the cosy glow of the neutron target

'ning

coffee, croissant, crunch complexity, perhaps pancakes, decline distractions, bail, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, windy and milder, Tigger walked, granola with banana & coffee for breakfast , a trip to Louth on the cards later
    Have a goodday
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'Ning
    Woken up with some lurgy, must be that coronavirus that's fashionable at the moment.
    Might get the train to work and spread it around a bit.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    I find that coughing and sneezing is a good way to keep the seat next to you on the train free these days :)

Busy day ahead, too many meetings for my liking. Must start blocking out my diary with fake meetings to stop the happening again.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_
    Stevo_666 said:

I find that coughing and sneezing is a good way to keep the seat next to you on the train free these days :)

Seems to be working well so far.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Final day off with the rugrats has started with a fuzzy head due to pub enjoyment last night.

Dads taxi and building a fun bike jump in the woods in today’s jobs
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Fuzzy head para mi tambien. But down to the early morning appt for fasting blood test, now home for some sustenance so should recover. Either that or due to lack of drink and food last night.
  • thistle_
    tlw1 said:

JCB job? (For either)

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Morning, very low motivation today. Incredible amounts of surface water on the way into work this morning, quite surprised given the higher profile weather warnings we've had recently.

There's a single track road across the valley which is always flooded for a few hundred meters but I've never had the balls to drive through. On Saturday a mate/colleague of mine and I were going out for a meal and I asked to drive his car in (same as mine but with a few different spec options). I didn't tell him until we got there but in short, the bow wave came over the lights but we survived. According to the manual the Amarok wading depth is only 50cm but I don't believe it. That would have been a difficult conversation with the boss on Monday...

I've just had a calendar invite to our 'summer social and cricket day' at Eton in the July, about as far away from my comfort zone as it's possible to be... still, the alcohol will be free.

Today will be spent wishing I was at home to receive my lovely new jacket.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    haydenm said:

Morning, very low motivation today. Incredible amounts of surface water on the way into work this morning, quite surprised given the higher profile weather warnings we've had recently.

There's a single track road across the valley which is always flooded for a few hundred meters but I've never had the balls to drive through. On Saturday a mate/colleague of mine and I were going out for a meal and I asked to drive his car in (same as mine but with a few different spec options). I didn't tell him until we got there but in short, the bow wave came over the lights but we survived. According to the manual the Amarok wading depth is only 50cm but I don't believe it. That would have been a difficult conversation with the boss on Monday...

I've just had a calendar invite to our 'summer social and cricket day' at Eton in the July, about as far away from my comfort zone as it's possible to be... still, the alcohol will be free.

Official wading depth vs what you can get away with are vastly different, for example my old car is was something daft 25cm, I went through a flooded tunnel (only way back to work at the time) my headlights were full of water, I luckily had closed the windows and the fuel flap was full of water as well, how it didnt stall an die is beyond me.
    Had to drive around for the next month with the covers off the headlights an no full beam bulbs to dry the things out :/

Anyway, morning men starboard ten round the buoy an back again etc. Much watching numbers and streaming today picked up my errant parcel so need to construct its non bike related contents an get cracking on stuff.
    First I need food I'm hungry
  • Currently dealing with the joys of online shoping where a size L wet suit (I'm bang in the middle of the size L range) wouldn't close by about 25cm across my back.

Home later to pack and attempt a boot camp.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Lovely start to the day walking the dog along deserted beach in near perfect stillness.

Day of minor jobs round the house. Moved bookcase and contents from one room to another. Moved piano to where the bookcase was. Hung a bunch of paintings that had been just leant against walls till we decided where best to display them.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831

tlw1 said:

JCB job? (For either)

:)
  • haydenm
    step83 said:

haydenm said:

Official wading depth vs what you can get away with are vastly different, for example my old car is was something daft 25cm, I went through a flooded tunnel (only way back to work at the time) my headlights were full of water, I luckily had closed the windows and the fuel flap was full of water as well, how it didnt stall an die is beyond me.
    Had to drive around for the next month with the covers off the headlights an no full beam bulbs to dry the things out :/
    Sounds like a close one! Apparently even with a snorkel the amarok it's useless as the electrics are too low. I was starting to get moved about by the current too which probably would become more of an issue in anything deeper
  • haydenm
    step83 said:

haydenm said:

Sounds like a close one! Apparently even with a snorkel the amarok it's useless as the electrics are too low. I was starting to get moved about by the current too which probably would become more of an issue in anything deeper
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    110's don't care unless the intakes below water, just keep extending the snorkel an its happy.

Just thought, we've not really had a winter as in not really been all that cold, just very wet and windy. Doesn't bode well for summer, if we get one.
  • thistle_
    step83 said:

Just thought, we've not really had a winter as in not really been all that cold, just very wet and windy. Doesn't bode well for summer, if we get one.

I think wet is the new winter. There's still time though.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Amarok is the worst Mike Oldfield album ever. Discuss.
  • orraloon
    2018's 'Beast from the East' was from later Feb through to early March. Time yet indeed.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    According to my in depth research (watching QI on Dave) a White Easter is more common/likely than a White Christmas.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Stevo_666 said:

Busy day ahead, too many meetings for my liking. Must start blocking out my diary with fake meetings to stop the happening again.

you mean people at your place dont just add you to meetings regardless.?

• orraloon
    One of the best periods of my working life corporate was in my 2nd to last incarnation, had agreed an exit package and timetable with some project deliverables to hit in the however many months it was. I took great pleasure in informing the locals that 'I don't DO meetings any more'. Ah happy days.
  • Stevo_666
    awavey said:

Stevo_666 said:

Usually no. Our system allows you to see when people you want to invite are free or booked. Sometimes you get a few thickos who book it up anyway or the ines where there a fair few invitees and they cant make the time work for everyone, but I just decline the invite unless its a board director asking.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Stevo_666 said:

awavey said:

Stevo_666 said:

Usually no. Our system allows you to see when people you want to invite are free or booked. Sometimes you get a few thickos who book it up anyway or the ines where there a fair few invitees and they cant make the time work for everyone, but I just decline the invite unless its a board director asking.
    so does ours but it never seems to stop anyone bothering to check it first :) the worst ones are those that do check the calendar and always say oh but theres a slot free from 12pm...

• thistle_
    awavey said:

Stevo_666 said:

awavey said:

Stevo_666 said:

so does ours but it never seems to stop anyone bothering to check it first :) the worst ones are those that do check the calendar and always say oh but theres a slot free from 12pm...

Same at our place. "You can go to this meeting for me, I've checked your calendar and you're not busy"
    I tried settinh lunchtime as "Not available" and it hasn't worked, turning up late hasn't worked either so I just have to "disappear" for an hour - a quick spin on the local TT circuit is a good one in the summer :smiley:
  • Just set yourself a recurring meeting on your calendar that repeats daily from 12-1:30, Add an external email invitee (yourself usually for personal email address) make it “private” so others can’t see the details and job done.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    People know I'm not in a good mood when theres a lunch time meeting and there's no food laid on. Seems to deter some...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    edited February 2020
    orraloon said:

Fuzzy head para mi tambien. But down to the early morning appt for fasting blood test, now home for some sustenance so should recover. Either that or due to lack of drink and food last night.

Nah, it's those dodgy bananas of the Cavendish variety you nicked.

It's chucking all sorts down out there - hail, snow, Irishmen...
    Very wintry.

Tomorrow (today) will be the nieces arriving. One is spontaneously unhappy and the other is up for anything.
    Shorty will be happy. They're planning a painting of Winnie and Wilbur on the wall:
    "As clever as a cockroach with a calculator".
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • haydenm
    oxoman said:

Current site pool vehicle is an amarok which when taken into a clay quarry is absolutely useless, one of the lads has rescued it a few times in his old 110 landy. Just a bit embarrassing for those concerned.

Presumably mostly down to tyres...?
  • haydenm
    oxoman said:

Some of it and some down to its low down grunt and gearing. Amarok looks ok but that's about it, Big V6 auto doing about 17mpg even the landy wasn't that bad and it was only a little 2.5 tdi

Ah yeah, I'm not wildly impressed with the auto, even with 256hp, mine is manual with a low range box. It also does 32mpg ;)

Currently waiting for the new Defender commercial as I fancy a change next time round
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    32mpg! That's brilliant that is.

Auto's are not so good in heavy going.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!