New Forum Questions

I would be interested to know:

1. What was the reason(s) for changing the forum? I presume it wasn't done for the sake of it so there must have been some issues with the old one or perceived benefits to changing.
2. Has the new forum met its expectations/achieved the desired outcome?
3. Has the reaction of the forum users been better or worse than expected?
You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Answering from a users perspective
    1)we had a lot of gateway timeouts on the previous version.
    2)No idea - it took a bit of getting used to - there seems to be a bit more distinction between threads - but it could be better - I suppress advertising urls, so I get a lot of white space eitherside of the main body - I've seen screenshots of a non-blocked browser which looks hideous....
    3)Change will always bring about complaints - I suspect they're doing the usual "ignore most of the complaints and it'll go away" method - which, tbf - is fair enough - the forum is an expense and I doubt they recover the running cost from the advertising revenue - even less likely if they overload it, leading to many of us using ad-blocking methods - so what's the incentive to improve it beyond what they've already done?
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Thanks Oli - always good to understand the thoughts behind a change.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    oli_admin said:

Rest assured we are committed to the forum as a resource and want to make this place as useful and enjoyable as possible for all of you.

Oli - it's not enough just to say it, though - action is what's needed. The most complained-about aspect of the change has been the user interface, or 'look and feel', and as far as I can tell, that has not changed at all. As a previous regular user, this is the first time I've logged in for several days and the forum still appears to be a disorganised and visually-appalling mess.

I can't imagine that the other Immediate Media forums look as bad as this.

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    oli_admin said:

oli_admin said:

Rest assured we are committed to the forum as a resource and want to make this place as useful and enjoyable as possible for all of you.

Oli - it's not enough just to say it, though - action is what's needed. The most complained-about aspect of the change has been the user interface, or 'look and feel', and as far as I can tell, that has not changed at all. As a previous regular user, this is the first time I've logged in for several days and the forum still appears to be a disorganised and visually-appalling mess.

The issue you have described is a top priority but it's going to require specific art and tech resource that is not immediately available. I'm talking to the right people and it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience.
    Try this, it works for my 15yo pupils:
    .Quote {
    font-size: smaller;
    }

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Bikeradar

'another UK cycling site'

• Hi. Will the saddle swap shop be returning to the classifieds page? The header link is there, but when opened it is not able to post and all old posts have been deleted.
  • Thanks, that works. You should know that the saddle swap link also appears as a link at the top of the road bike parts for sale page. This is how it was previously and was how I was trying to access it, but it does not work.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910

oli_admin said:

I can't imagine any other Forum looking as bad as this full stop!
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    @admin How do i unsubscribe from a thread?
  • Can you tell me the difference in the classified section between "Bike parts for sale" and "2nd hand road bike parts/tools & clothing".
    Not sure where to put some parts I have for sale.
    Many thanks.
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi
  • hopster
    hopster Posts: 42
    As 'gravel' is a thing. Can a section be added?