Riding with different crank sizes for months........is it a bad thing medium/long term?

So I bought left crank powermeter 172.5 thinking as that is the crankset size.of my main racing bike. Now this winter i decided to fit the powermeter to my winter bike, which i honestly thought had a 172.5 as well.
After 4-5 months of riding, and only ny coincidence, today i found out that the crankset in this winter bike is 175!!!

Would you stop using the power meter crank in 172.5 in that winter bike?

What are the negatives/cons of different crank lenghts?

I wanna keep using the powermeter even if i may be pedalling less efficiently.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Get a 172.5 crankset?
  • If you only found out now by coincidence, then it probably means there are no cons... 2.5 mm hardly makes any difference
    left the forum March 2023
  • Add a 2.5mm shim between the cleat and shoe on the 175mm crank side... Or just carry on as you were, if you felt no discomfort!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Add a 2.5mm shim between the cleat and shoe on the 175mm crank side...

That'll really help at the top of the stroke... :*
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283

Add a 2.5mm shim between the cleat and shoe on the 175mm crank side... Or just carry on as you were, if you felt no discomfort!

Wouldn't that correct the issue at the bottom of the pedal stroke but double the difference at the top of the stroke.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Oh dear, I shall get the IV caffeine drip ready now, schoolboy maths error by me! :#
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I did something similar years back. Discovered a hairline crack on my Mavic SSC Crank on the day of a sportif. So swapped it over and did the sportif. Didn't notice any adverse effects so forgot about it for months.

People fret over small differences - but look at how long your legs are - constantly changing in length - hip, knee, ankle angles. How you sit in the saddle.

And how many people know for sure that their legs are identical ?
  • ... exactly...
    left the forum March 2023
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Top Top: It’s quite possible one if your legs is 2.5mm longer than the other. If so, then you have a 50% chance of having rectifying your leg difference when riding. However, if it’s the wrong leg and riding doubles the error, simply ride the bike facing backwards.