Rockshox Monarch Plus Debonair can upgrade – easy enough?

So after upgrading the air spring and damper in my fork I think it’s time to look at the shock.

I have a 2017 Nukeproof Mega with a Monarch Plus HV RC3 rear shock – so a 2016 onward shock.

Have ordered the Debonair can upgrade and a service kit.

So looking at the Rockshox service manual it looks pretty straight forward - release air, slide outer sleeve off and unscrew the inner from the body.

Give it a good clean and reassemble with new can and sleeve.

Am I missing anything?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited February 2020
    I have not done that particular conversion, but yes it does sound easy. I have removed the air can and added rings to tune the air spring curve on a Rockshox and I've added a larger dia can and spacers on a Fox.

Tip no1: Be SCRUPULOUSLY clean! Clean the bike first, ensure the work area is clean, keep the doors and windows shut to avoid draughts blowing dust in to the workings. Do not use paper towels to wipe anything, do not use your wife's yellow dusters! Be paranoid, you will only be doing this once. The slightest bit of dust in there will damage your shock in time, not straight away. I speak from experience!!

Tip no2: Check with the Rockshox website for your shock, but I strongly suspect that you cannot just pump up the shock to your required pressure and then go ride. You will probably have to inflate in several stages, each time compressing the shock half a dozen times. Or some other procedure designed to fill the negative pressure chamber. I speak from experience, it does make a difference.

Have fun! :)
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Thanks, not got round to doing this yet.
    But now I've sorted out my garage and actually have access to the work bench it's on the list for lockdown upgrades.