T130S - what next?

Hi
My 2015 T130S has been awesome, but I'm regularly running out of travel (sag is set at 25%) now we are pushing things a little harder. Normally we ride Cannock Chase off piste and Stile Cop. Plus trail parks occasionally. I'm 84kg and 5 10.
What would you recommend next with more travel (170mm min to make it worth while changing), about £3k (new, but doesnt have to be latest model)?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The sensible answer is get your suspension tuned, However, the fact you are asking means you actually want a new bike. ;)

If you are happy with Whyte then what about the G 170 S?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    JBA said:

The sensible answer is get your suspension tuned, However, the fact you are asking means you actually want a new bike. ;)

If you are happy with Whyte then what about the G 170 S?

Totally up for not buying a new bike :)

Ive already added a token (cant remember, might tokens) to the front, and added bands to the rear. Both made an improvement, but not sure what else I could do without having it rock solid most the time?

The G looks smart, was expecting it to be 170mm, but its 180mm. Well at least the front is. Also like how the post isnt reverb :)
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I would have said exactly what JBA said.
  • david7m

The tune or g170?
  • david7m
    Yesterday I went Leisure Lakes as they have the 2018 G170 RS on offer, but I didnt like the graphics :smile: I know spec is more important, but just didnt like the orange. And the final nail in the coffin was the reverb, have had quite a few issues with mine on the T130 and couldnt be bothered again.

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/144197/products/whyte-g170-c-rs-275-mountain-bike-2018-graniteorange.aspx

Have ordered one of these instead, arrives Friday :smiley:

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/327241/products/whyte-g170-s-v2-275-mountain-bike-2020-midnightdark-red.aspx

Extras ordered-

- 2.4 High Roller II for the rear, and 2.5 Minion DHF for the front
    - Burgtec MK4 platform pedals
    - Tubeless Muc Off valves
    - Frame, forks and crank invisframed
    - Rear mudguard and mucky nutz style front
    - Race Face crank boots

Looking forward to picking it up!!
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    david7m said:

The tune or g170?
    The tune for preference because it is so cheap to do. If it doesn't do what you want it to do, then get the other Whyte.
  • david7m
    edited February 2020
    Picked it up Friday, changed the tyres and fitted crank boots Saturday, out Sunday :smile:

First impressions - looks great, BB very low, suspension too soft, brakes are mega, hard work pedaling (partly due to suspension settings), dropper lever seems tight.
    Invisframe made cleaning very easy.

Have ordered bash guard as can see that being an issue over logs etc., fitting tokens and bands tomorrow, bike park Wales Saturday for the proper test.

Overall very pleased so far :smiley:
  • That's going in at the deep end!

Hope you have a good time.

Look forward to the report.

Silly question, but you have relevant protective clothing?
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • david7m
    billycool said:

That's going in at the deep end!

Yeah, got full face and hiring there pads this time as mine kept slipping last time. If the trial is successful, I'll get the same ones.

I've been 4/5 times, love the blues especially popty :smile:
  • david7m said:

billycool said:

That's going in at the deep end!

Yeah, got full face and hiring there pads this time as mine kept slipping last time. If the trial is successful, I'll get the same ones.

I've been 4/5 times, love the blues especially popty :smile:
    I love the blues as I'm not really a jumpy kind of rider. Just like fast and flowy.

Last time we did Popty Ping it got renamed Popty F*'ing Ping due to an impressive nose dive/OTB by one of our guys who caught it all on his GoPro. That was the only thing he kept muttering to himself!

I have a soft spot for Blue Belle!

Hope to go down over the summer. Have fun!
    "Ride, crash, replace"