23mm instead of 25mm

Hi,
Quick question. I’ve got Knight Composites fitted with 25mm Vittoria Corsas. As a quick fix can I whack 23mm tyres on it??

Cheers.

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yes.

Quick fix for what?
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited February 2020
    timothyw said:

Yes.

Quick fix for what?

I was at a pals house and noticed a bit of a fault on my rear tyre and I didn’t want to ride home on it. He had a spare 23mm tyre which we fitted but it looked a bit lost on the rim.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Tube or tyre ?
  • Tyre.
  • Are you asking for permission. In the time it took to.post this why not just fit and see.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Are you asking for permission. In the time it took to.post this why not just fit and see.

Just noticed your name there!! Thanks ever so for your help. Oh, you haven’t given any.

If you were bothered to read what I posted you‘ll see that I did indeed fit a 23mm tyre but it looked a bit lost on the rim.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Seriously, you're asking that question?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Seriously, you're asking that question?

According to Knight themselves the wheels are “optimised for 25mm tyres” so I thought I’d ask.
    Thanks for your help.
  • Well just because you have asked does not mean the question is worth answering. Just because I run a shop does not mean I have to have a customer service type answer for everything especially when I am not answering a shop question.

If the tyre looks lost fit a bigger one.
    Since this was an emergency fit then it for getting you home.

The point being you can answer this yourself and you did. Therefore I am not sure what you expected up us tk add.

I get this from time to time. A call where I am asked do you have anything to add to what i have read already. I'm thinking can you ask a specific question to which i can frame an answer.

If people want helpful answer think about the question your asking. Otherwise I will answer with a bit of a shrug.

So let's start again. Your first question could have been what can be the effects of fitting a tyre that's too narrow for the rim? That that question with some meat to it.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • darrell1967
    edited February 2020

Well just because you have asked does not mean the question is worth answering.

Then why bother to comment?
    I own 2 businesses and everybody is a potential customer. However daft I think their question may be it deserves a polite and respectful answer.

• yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    Have you got home yet?
  • Yes. On the defective tyre.

I put the 23mm tyre, pumped it up and it didn’t look right. I looked on the Knight website and it said the rim is optimised for 25mm tyres so not wanting to screw up the wheels I went back to the defective tyre.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If 23 was all you had then I'd be happy with that just for a gentle ride home.

But yes replace with a 25.
  • fenix said:

If 23 was all you had then I'd be happy with that just for a gentle ride home.

But yes replace with a 25.

Thanks. Much appreciated.
  • StillGoing

Yes. On the defective tyre.

I put the 23mm tyre, pumped it up and it didn’t look right. I looked on the Knight website and it said the rim is optimised for 25mm tyres so not wanting to screw up the wheels I went back to the defective tyre.

Optimised for 25mm doesn't mean you can't fit narrower then does it.

• darrell1967
    edited February 2020

Optimised for 25mm doesn't mean you can't fit narrower then does it.

I wasn’t 100% sure hence my question. I didn’t want to screw up a Knight Composite wheel.
    I’ve posted my reason for asking the question more than once.

• Seems that not only Milennials ask daft questions.
    Think someone needs mummy to hold his hand.
  • Seems that not only Milennials ask daft questions.
    Think someone needs mummy to hold his hand.

Thanks for your help but my mother died just before Christmas.

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Darrell ignore the negative comments, time was you could come on here and ask a legitimate question without some of the comments from people who have nothing better to do than try and be a smart@rse. Your question was legitimate and next time someone asks the same you can say yes it worked fine for me, we all learn by self experience and help from others. Glad you got it sorted.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    edited February 2020
    Many of the people sh*tposting above are the same ones blaming the forum redesign for the drop in site traffic. Maybe not being acting like a **** to new/occasional posters would help?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Thanks guys.
    It was a legit question and I’ve definitely learned from it. In more ways than 1. ;)
  • StillGoing
    Asking if a 23mm tyre will fit on a rim optimised for 25mm is not an intelligent question. A bloody 5 year old could work that out. Fit it, blow it up, put it on the bike. It's the sort of question milemuncher or Bootlebuck would ask just for the attention.
  • darrell1967
    edited February 2020
    Nice!!

I was only asking for advice. I’ve swapped between 23 and 25mm on my other road bikes including my Dolan and my Specialized but they have Fulcrum wheels rather than 50mm carbon rims. I’m new to these type of wheels and so I didn’t want to damage them.

I looked in other places on the internet (as I’m sure you have done before) but couldn’t find anything a bit more concrete.

I’m really sorry if I’ve offended you by asking such a silly question that you actually didn’t really need to answer.
  • smethley
    smethley Posts: 45
    edited February 2020
    Surely there's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer? I'm a beginner here too and the OP has my sympathy.
  • Generally speaking you'd be correct but there have been some absolute classics on here over the years. Look out for some Bungle specials.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited February 2020

Doesn‘t matter. I also have wheels optimized for 25mm and I don‘t run 25mm on it.
  • darrell1967
    zest28 said:

Doesn‘t matter. I also have wheels optimized for 25mm and I don‘t run 25mm on it.
    Thank you. Probably the only answer I was after.

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Jeez oh, give the guy a break. If you think he's asking a silly question then no need to comment. Only adding negative comments is a total waste of time and effort and doesn't help anyone. Its when you read stuff like this then you realise why there's so much angst in the world. If cyclists can't be nice to other cyclists then it doesn't really put us in a very positive place.
  • Jeez oh, give the guy a break. If you think he's asking a silly question then no need to comment. Only adding negative comments is a total waste of time and effort and doesn't help anyone. Its when you read stuff like this then you realise why there's so much angst in the world. If cyclists can't be nice to other cyclists then it doesn't really put us in a very positive place.

Forget god, forget Santa, your on the internet now! And here Satan rules.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729

Jeez oh, give the guy a break. If you think he's asking a silly question then no need to comment. Only adding negative comments is a total waste of time and effort and doesn't help anyone. Its when you read stuff like this then you realise why there's so much angst in the world. If cyclists can't be nice to other cyclists then it doesn't really put us in a very positive place.

Forget god, forget Santa, your on the internet now! And here Satan rules.
    *you're