Replacement wheels

Hi, I’ve had a pair of Mavic SL wheels( the ones with red hubs and one red spoke per wheel) on my bike for several years now and they have been absolutely brilliant.
However the rims are now showing signs of wear, aluminium!
I’m looking at a replacement set in the near future and I’d like another set of rim brake alloy rimmed wheels at around the same 1400g weight.
I run 23 mm tyres on my current wheels but if the bike will accept them ( Casati 53x11model) is like the wider 25s. Therefore, any recommendations on new wheels?
Thanks

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Depends on your budget really. I imagine someone will come on recommending handbuilt wheels shortly.

Personally I would look at fulcrum zeros or if you shop about you can find some good deals on mavics.

However, if on a budget look at wiggles prime wheels:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-attaquer-road-wheelset/

Or a bit heavier but great price
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-baroudeur-se-road-wheelset/
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I have a pair of CERO Evo AR24 and they are good light wheels. I've run them tubeless in the past but have Conti GP4000sii and they are just as good.
    Currently on offer at Cycle division for less than £200.
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/wheels/cero-ar24-evo-alloy-wheelset-2017
    I've done a review some time ago and will post later.
    The only issue I've had is broken spokes, 2 since I bought them but you do get spare spokes and tubeless valves if I remember correctly.
    T.
  • Redvision and Tonysj m thanks for your input.
    The budget isn’t the issue. I’m willing to pay good money for the right wheelset. I think I paid around £500 or more for the Mavic SLs and that was over ten years ago. I’ve certainly had my money’s worth out of them and they are still in great condition.
    As I said,I’m looking for a great set of predominantly climbing wheels.
  • thecycleclinic
    thecycleclinic Posts: 395
    edited February 2020
    Also why stick 1400g. You do know heavy wheels can feel just as responsive but in a different way.

Sluggish feeling wheels are due to flex/twist in the rim because the spokes cant support the rim and resist it reforming.

If your going light then it can also be higher spoke count. The higher spoke count with a light rim stops the above from being noticeable. Then maybe to a light hub. Wheels that feel responsive ad are 1400g are easy but not cheap.

Wheels that are 1400g but are not as good as they could be are easy too for less money.

Sorry broken spokes. If those broken spokes were caused by external damage then fair enough that happens. If however the was no damage to the spokes (dents or other damage chain derailing is prime cause) then that fatigue and it will keep happening. In the latter case broken spokes is a good sign that the wheel has to much flex when loaded. That flex and the spoke length change that results from it is the cause of spoke fatigue. The fact they supply spare spokes indicates the view that this is normal. Also you seem to accept it as normal. Spoke failure even on light wheels should never happen if the wheel is built right and has a good design (it stiff enough to keep fatigue to a very slow rate). I view spoke failures as a warranty issue that are not caused by external damage. It only rarely happens and in nearly all cases are external damage is the cause.

Most wheel builders fi d the same thing.

www.thecycleclinic.co.uk